BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

openBVE 1.5.0 RC1 - BUGS

+29
Manuel18
Delsin
S520
Phonteus Nevolius
theflyingoreo
parker78
graymac
ebennekom
NakanoS
LabRatAndy
leezer3
jckhinks
Quork
call2
Stevegr
jorgecerezo
SysVR
BillEWS
buckysam
tof63
MattD6R
thehoviskid
phontanka
mobile1
Dj Hammers
Glory! koshikii
fas
Marc Riera
Dexter
33 posters

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

openBVE 1.5.0 RC1 - BUGS - Page 8 Empty Re: openBVE 1.5.0 RC1 - BUGS

Post by Delsin Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:01 pm

leezer3 wrote:
Delsin wrote:Tested old-style one-sound horns again and they don't work as specified. It doesn't just shoot the sound, you need to hold button down for some time or you get the sound "cut". Can you revert to the original behaviour for one-sound horns?

Sorry, this is still slightly broken Sad

1.4.3 and previous builds were somewhat more broken though- Holding down the button in these repeatedly triggered the sound, causing a constant repeating effect, although the sound did run till the end....

Well it's okay then, take your time Wink it's better than previously now anyway.
Delsin
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:05 pm

OK, build from today should now fix the stopping horns Smile

It's possible to get a slight overlap if you trigger the horn again whilst the sound is still completing, but this is inevitable...

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Delsin Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:16 pm

leezer3 wrote:OK, build from today should now fix the stopping horns Smile

It's possible to get a slight overlap if you trigger the horn again whilst the sound is still completing, but this is inevitable...
Yay thanks!
Overlaps like in 1.4.3 are okay, I don't even think that's a problem Very Happy
Delsin
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory! koshikii Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:23 pm

leezer3 wrote:This sim diverged from plain BVE many years ago when Michelle introduced external views and animated files.
openBVE probably isn't the absolute best name anymore, but unfortunately the 'brand' is recognised (150+ hits a day just from Google search on the main site).
I'm working towards implementing many of BVE5's features, but frankly it's got just as many limitations (Albeit different ones) as BVE4 had Smile

Just because OpenBVE diverged from the original BVE, it doesn't have to ignore new Bve releases. Plus, open-source clones are not the exact same thing as the original. OpenTTD has improved upon, but still plays like the old Transport Tycoon. OpenRCT2 has added cheats, more customization options and some other little things over RollerCoaster Tycoon 2. Haiku is based on BeOS but has gotten much needed improvements, such as package management, subpixel rendering, vector icons, modern programs...

External cameras and animated objects are indeed nice features, but if you ignore them, you have a less glitchy and more friendly BVE 4. Heck, there probably are people out there that use OpenBVE as a drop in replacement for BVE 2 / 4 possibly because they are running Windows Vista (eurgh) or newer, OS X or Linux or are intimidated by the lack of information in 4. What if these people want to play Bve 5 routes? Add them to their library and realise they're more broken than cars in scrap yards?

The OpenBVE brand has a slightly negative light on it according to the Japanese. They think it's BVE 2 / 4 for newer computers, as there are very few japanese routes that use OpenBVE exclusive technology. Not adding Bve 5 support might burn our image even more because people will think we are late or self-centered or "right-wingers".

Adding Bve 5 support will help, not only the confused players, but also ourselves. It'll give a familiar interface to something new, giving a sense of comfort. I can say I have been slightly weirded out at times with Bve 5. It'll help us because we'll gain knowledge and wisdom, we'll be able to make much more dynamic things, not only in routes, but also with the program itself. Trains following a non-0 rail, with sound, is really hard work, but it pays off. Look at Tama Monorail, oncoming trains, cars running on the street below. Tokyu Toyoko Line, participating in a quad track, racing with the other Hiyoshi-bound train, an F-liner for Shibuya, Kotake-Mukaihara and Kotesashi three tracks over, or the Keihan Keishin Line, with cars running on avenues, and even racing them on the street-running section before Hamaotsu. Nevermind the object, signal, sound lists and timetable (er, the station list) as separate files.

Bve 5 support in OpenBVE is a no-brainer indeed, so why are you not for it? The game doesn't have to become Bve 5, you know. What it was to BVE 2, it can be the same to Bve 5. Cross platform, open-source Bve 1~5 with some additions. So the question remains: will OpenBVE deserve its name in the future?

Glory! koshikii

Back to top Go down

Post by Delsin Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:34 pm

It's really good to see some BVE5 features coming to Open. I'm looking forward for the new train data format and things like proper rheostatic control.

Speaking of bugs, found a small, but fun one: when you jump to the next station, the release part of the horn sounds  Very Happy
Delsin
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:03 pm

What exactly would be the sense in constantly making an open source freeware clone to a closed source freeware software? Also I'm not sure Mackoy'd be happy about this. Whether it'd be sensible to have support for BVE 5-addons or not can be discussed, but the main direction of OpenBVE should not be cloning BVE 5! Also the Japanese market never cared much for OpenBVE, just like "ClosedBVE" never cared much for the rest of the world, so the opinion on OpenBVE in Japan isn't really of high relevance for all I can see.
Here in Germany, there's a saying: "Namen sind Schall und Rauch", which literally translates as "names are sound and smoke" and originates in Goethe's "Faust I" (Goethe is one of the most important German poets) and means "names are nothing but hollow words". If I remember correctly, already Michelle wasn't exactly happy with the name, but was stuck with it out of the same reasons Chris is now: The brand is too popular to change.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:52 pm

Quork wrote:What exactly would be the sense in constantly making an open source freeware clone to a closed source freeware software? Also I'm not sure Mackoy'd be happy about this. Whether it'd be sensible to have support for BVE 5-addons or not can be discussed, but the main direction of OpenBVE should not be cloning BVE 5! Also the Japanese market never cared much for OpenBVE, just like "ClosedBVE" never cared much for the rest of the world, so the opinion on OpenBVE in Japan isn't really of high relevance for all I can see.
Here in Germany, there's a saying: "Namen sind Schall und Rauch", which literally translates as "names are sound and smoke" and originates in Goethe's "Faust I" (Goethe is one of the most important German poets) and means "names are nothing but hollow words". If I remember correctly, already Michelle wasn't exactly happy with the name, but was stuck with it out of the same reasons Chris is now: The brand is too popular to change.

Spot on Smile

Michelle was trying to rebrand to TrainsimFramework about the time she left, but this really wasn't successful, and she was meeting resistance from the community.

BVE5:
I have a BVE5 route parser which works tolerably for converted BVE2 / BVE4 routes, but in order to make anything more complex work correctly, there are all kinds of missing features, both in the parser itself, and in openBVE as a whole. (For example, BVE5 requires object based backgrounds)
I'm not sure that some people realize quite how different the two programs are behind the similar veneer......

Edit:
I was a little bored, so a few BVE5 images:
openBVE 1.5.0 RC1 - BUGS - Page 8 2jb5vlj
Tyne Valley (Very simple BVE4 route, run through Mackoy's converter)
This works pretty much perfectly.

openBVE 1.5.0 RC1 - BUGS - Page 8 2gsirrl
Keisei (Mackoy's stock route)

Works reasonably, but the track on curves is broken, and there's no interpolation at the minute.

openBVE 1.5.0 RC1 - BUGS - Page 8 16a1c93

Random Japanese route I had floating around.
The basic track path and standard objects work OK, but somewhat broken otherwise.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Delsin wrote:It's really good to see some BVE5 features coming to Open. I'm looking forward for the new train data format and things like proper rheostatic control.

Speaking of bugs, found a small, but fun one: when you jump to the next station, the release part of the horn sounds  Very Happy

Fixed Smile
That wasn't actually the horn directly, it just exposed that one- The menu select key (ENTER) keyup event wasn't being blocked correctly, and the horn is mapped to ENTER also.

Edit:
I've just added an errata note documenting the current state of the horn changes and my reasoning:
https://github.com/leezer3/OpenBVE/wiki/Errata#horn-behavior

The music horn behaviour is subject to discussion/ change at this point.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Still thinking about the music horn changes Smile

However, today's build adds another small sound extra: Run Index dependent pointwork sounds.
This requires no changes to your existing sound configurations, but may be assigned by adding extra lines to your [Switch] section as follows:
Code:
[Switch]
0 = Point.wav
1 = Point1.wav
etc...

If the switch sound is undefined, it will revert to that from index zero.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by theflyingoreo Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:11 am

Hi Chris

With the latest build (1.5.0.10) I've been getting a few of these

"Unhandled Exception

Cannot Load counter name data because an invalid index " was read from the registry"

I've had this error on a few older routes like Bay Park and some of the newer routes such as the 6 train from BVEStation.

Not sure if I'm missing anything because in the older builds, they've loaded without error.

theflyingoreo

https://www.facebook.com/sydneybve

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:56 am

Hmm...

I've found something I can reproduce in the BVE4 versions of Bay Park, but not the BVE2.

This should have been a problem for a while though (Introduced with RailCycles), so I'm not sure if it's the same thing you're seeing.
Either way, this one has been fixed now.

Try today's build and see if that helps Smile
If not, please see if it's creating a crash log- 'Report Problem' on the bottom left. The error you're getting suggests that it's actually crashing within the crash handler (Specifically when I try to get the system specs)

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by theflyingoreo Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:40 pm

All good now with Bay Park, should've mentioned it was the BVE4 version.

theflyingoreo

Back to top Go down

Post by Delsin Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Openbve throws the "The OpenAL sound device could not be opened" if I try to run it while ObjectViewer is open. Then it loads, but (obviously) with no sound at all. Interesting...
Delsin
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:09 am

Delsin wrote:Openbve throws the "The OpenAL sound device could not be opened" if I try to run it while ObjectViewer is open. Then it loads, but (obviously) with no sound at all. Interesting...

That's odd, I'll take a look at that one.

I'd expect Route Viewer to block the sound device, but not Object Viewer.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:51 am

Delsin wrote:Openbve throws the "The OpenAL sound device could not be opened" if I try to run it while ObjectViewer is open. Then it loads, but (obviously) with no sound at all. Interesting...

Happpens to me as well, but only now and then. Spotted it when I had "Groove Music" running in the background. However, for me it does it vice versa - meaning when openBVE is running and I try to run the Object Viewer.
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 am

Having tested, I can run Route Viewer, Object Viewer and the main program at once with no ill effects here.

I've also checked Object Viewer, and it makes no access to the sound card at all.
It doesn't contain that error message either (Only Route Viewer and the main program), so I suspect Dexter is mistaken about which is generating it.

I suspect different sound drivers may allow differing numbers of programs accessing the sound device via openAL at once.
Will try on a few different systems, but this one is probably not fixable at my end.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by theflyingoreo Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:33 pm

Tried a fresh install with the latest stable 1.5.1.0

Cant seem to get it to run as it says "No Available texture and sound loader plugins were found, please reinstall"

Unless I seem to be missing the tao, sdl and openAL dependencies etc etc?

theflyingoreo

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:59 am

Shouldn't be; That message means it thinks the Data\Plugins folder is missing.

openAL etc **should** be automatically installed if required.

The zip & OS-X files look OK from the phone, I'll double-check the installer when I get home.

Apologies for the trouble.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by theflyingoreo Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:32 pm

I use the zip archive version.

There are 5 plugins in the Data\Plugins folder

theflyingoreo

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:01 pm

theflyingoreo wrote:I use the zip archive version.

Hmm, I've tested a fresh download & it appears to work OK at this end Sad
(Windows 8.1)

Which version of Windows please?

I've made one very slight tweak for this build, but it *shouldn't* affect anything, especially if you've had prior builds running:
https://vps.bvecornwall.co.uk/OpenBVE/Builds/OpenBVE-2017-04-02.zip

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory! koshikii Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:48 pm

...whoever compiled the 1.5.1.0 .deb must be using Ubuntu 14.04; the libmono-corlib4.0-cli dependency is not available for 14.10 and later versions of Ubuntu and is unsatisfiable. [unmannerly language edited]

Moderator's hat: Watch your language, please.
- Quork

Glory! koshikii

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:09 pm

Glory! koshikii wrote:...whoever compiled the 1.5.1.0 .deb must be using Ubuntu 14.04; the libmono-corlib4.0-cli dependency is not available for 14.10 and later versions of Ubuntu and is unsatisfiable. [unmannerly language edited]

Moderator's hat: Watch your language, please.
- Quork

The deb was built on Debian Jessie actually. The DEBIAN CONTROL file is lifted straight from them as they're the original source for the Ubuntu package; I haven't investigated exactly which Mono components are required specifically, just assumed that Paul Sladen knew what he was doing when it was packaged originally.....

We might be able to get away with just depending on mono-runtime, but I'll have to look into that.
The other easy option would just be to hook mono-complete, but that's definitely far more than we need....

Final option is to just provide two separate packages, one for older Debian / Ubuntu versions & one for newer. Would rather not do that, but let me think....

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by theflyingoreo Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:24 pm

leezer3 wrote:
theflyingoreo wrote:I use the zip archive version.

Hmm, I've tested a fresh download & it appears to work OK at this end Sad
(Windows 8.1)

Which version of Windows please?

I've made one very slight tweak for this build, but it *shouldn't* affect anything, especially if you've had prior builds running:
https://vps.bvecornwall.co.uk/OpenBVE/Builds/OpenBVE-2017-04-02.zip

Windows 10

Tried that build. All good

theflyingoreo

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:00 pm

Hmm...
I think Windows 10 must be setting the plugins to untrusted status when you extract the zip, but it still shouldn't be triggering that error....
Must have changed recently too unless the installer does something different i haven't spotted.

I'll try a 10 box later and see if i can reproduce anything.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by Manuel18 Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:29 pm

Greetings. I will like to report two bugs and one suggestion.

Using the openBVE v1.5.1.0

1.- If car is reversed on extension file, the doors direction aren't reversed.

Reversed car isn't opening the doors on the correct side. You must use another animated file to fix that.

openBVE 1.5.0 RC1 - BUGS - Page 8 Revcar11

2.- Object viewer isn't rendering .ACE textures format properly.

openBVE 1.5.0 RC1 - BUGS - Page 8 Revcar10

Like the picture show a full black model because it's using .ace format

Also i will like to suggest add a coupler model on extension file because not all the trains use chain coupler and buffers. It will be a nice feature for articulated trains and trains than use bar coupler.

Code:
[Coupler0]
Object = articulated.csv
Distances = 0,0

Regards
Manuel Mejias.
Manuel18
Manuel18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content