BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)

2 posters

Go down

New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)  Empty New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)

Post by 1969 St. Louis R-40M Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:57 pm

I was satisfied with the high framerates I was finally getting with my highly detailed models, thanks to the New Renderer of the latest 1.7.1 OpenBVE versions. But I encountered an issue while operating a train on a subway route: when I entered the tunnel, the interior of my train (as well as any other parts of the train that has the EmissiveColor command) faded to dark. Also the Head/Tail lights seem to not get affected by the EmissiveColor command anymore, regardless of if it's dark or not in the route. Anyone else has the same issue? If it's an issue on the New Renderer end, then I hope it will be fixed soon.

Here are some screenshots:

[img]New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)  DjKX8SQ[/img]

[img]New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)  YKzh4uf[/img]

[img]New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)  0rgLjLf[/img]

[img]New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)  RwiT1SF[/img]
1969 St. Louis R-40M
1969 St. Louis R-40M

Back to top Go down

New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)  Empty Re: New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)

Post by leezer3 Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:28 pm

Need a link to the train please.
I can see it's NYCTA of some sort, but what?

The probable cause is this though:
https://github.com/leezer3/OpenBVE/wiki/Errata#lighting-behaviour-with-the-same-texture-defined-for-both-daytime-and-nighttime

Solution in this case (hack but best I can currently do) is to add a pure white emissive to all interior faces; The original behaviour is fundamentally wrong....

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)  Empty Re: New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)

Post by 1969 St. Louis R-40M Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:30 am

All my interior faces are "EmissiveColor 255,255,255", on some of my trains they are "Color 0,0,0 & Emissive Color xxx,xxx,xxx" in order to have colored lighting. I also never defined the same textures for both day/nighttime, but I tried to do it on some textures of my trains, and ended up with some results:

First screenshot: The floor texture is defined twice, now the EmissiveColor lighting is working correctly when Brightness is below "255" in the route.
[img]New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)  M1cBF4b[/img]
New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)  M1cBF4b

Second screenshot: The side texture of Car N° 4517 is defined twice, unlike car N° 4516. Resulting in a brighter texture (like it is supposed to be I guess), this also happens if the New Renderer is disabled:
[img]New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)  KKXgiqD[/img]

The route used here is a route with Ambiant and Directional Lighting, however I came across another issue which also happens if the New Renderer is disabled:

The direction of the Directional Lighting is changing depending on the pointing direction of the camera, regardless if the textures are defined twice or not:
[img]New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)  EdfbBRT[/img]
[img]New Renderer causes EmissiveColor faces turning dark in routes (Latest 1.7.1 versions)  KFussm0[/img]

The New Renderer is acting pretty weird with the texture lighting, which is understandable for an early version. Hopefully it will receive fixes in the next versions of OpenBVE. But all I can say it is a big + for performance improvement.

On a last note: this is 1970s NYCTA content. I'm reproducing the 1960s-1980s NYC Subway system with all routes and trains. Since this community, as the name of the website says it, is worldwide, I would like to be part of it and share this project with everyone. Hopefully this community is mature unlike most of the NYC Railfan community. I will soon create a new Topic about this project with all the information about the availability of my content.

Last edited by 1969 St. Louis R-40M on Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Pictures uploaded twice)
1969 St. Louis R-40M
1969 St. Louis R-40M

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:17 am

Thanks- Logic error found & emissive faces should now work correctly (Somewhat related to the errata fix linked above) Smile

Will try and figure out what's going on with the directional light, ought to be a simple enough fix.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by 1969 St. Louis R-40M Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:15 pm

Well if I want to fix the EmissiveColor issue by defining the texture twice, it means that I will have to edit hundreds of b3d files of my train folder (because my St. Louis R40/R40M/R42 train pack is over 4GB due to all the versions from the 1970s to the 2010s), which is something I don't want to do lol. Is it possible to find another way to fix it for the later versions?
1969 St. Louis R-40M
1969 St. Louis R-40M

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:46 pm

It should be fixed in the latest nightly build- It was a unintentional result of the errata fix.

https://vps.bvecornwall.co.uk/OpenBVE/Builds/OpenBVE-2020-02-08.zip

Will be trying to get a stable build together next week hopefully.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by 1969 St. Louis R-40M Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:27 am

Thanks! Also, there are still glitches with the head/taillights that use different textures for day/nighttime: the textures are flickering between EmissiveColor and normal states. Would you like me to send you one of my trains so you can sort something out for future fixes?
1969 St. Louis R-40M
1969 St. Louis R-40M

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:57 pm

Please, drop me a PM with a link.

It's so much easier if I can see what's actually happening on a real-life sample, rather than trying to second-guess exactly what the developer has done Smile

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down