BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New route format?

2 posters

Go down

New route format? Empty New route format?

Post by Delsin Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:43 pm

I remember reading about long-term goals for OpenBVE a few years ago - one of them was parting with the traditional "A to B" routes and fixed train formations. I know this was from a previous developer, but as I see the current builds taking steps to implementing the "separate cars" concept, I got curious - are there plans to switch to maps where you can drive on any tracks and switch them instead of traditional routes as well?
Delsin
Delsin

Back to top Go down

New route format? Empty Re: New route format?

Post by leezer3 Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:03 am

Yes but no Razz

What you've first got to understand is that the current program was built from the ground up to run BVE2 / BVE4 content.
At the time it was originally created, a *lot* of assumptions were made about the way the world, trains etc. worked internally, based upon the way BVE2 / BVE4 did things.
(Essentially, it's much easier to build a model which only replicates a specific prototype than to build a generic model and then make the prototype work)

Each change made to the program makes it that little bit easier to move towards the goal of a 'new' format and new features for developers to play with Smile

I've got a prototype branch available for running on other rails in a CSV / RW route (as per BRR) here:
https://github.com/leezer3/OpenBVE/pull/329

It's nowhere near ready for public consumption though, and isn't really likely to be soon; Before this is ready, it still needs a bunch of work on AI trains, supporting signalling & other necessary events on secondary tracks etc. etc.

TLDR:
Every new feature tends to depend on a whole bunch of other insignificant features, all of which depend on something else, and it all takes far too much time Razz

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Delsin Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:03 pm

Well, I do realize it's not happening soon (with how big the change will be), I was just curious if implementing routes where all tracks are equally rideable and you can arrive at a terminus and then go back on the same line without loading another map is still in plans  Very Happy  I just find the need to do 2 entirely different routes for different directions a bit ridiculous, even if it's "original BVE" legacy.
Delsin
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down