BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Useful Tool to Assist MotorSound Development

4 posters

Go down

A Useful Tool to Assist MotorSound Development Empty A Useful Tool to Assist MotorSound Development

Post by zbx1425 Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:46 am

This tool can create and edit MotorSound by keyframes.
Real-time train performance calculation, sound preview and building with a reference media are also supported.
A Useful Tool to Assist MotorSound Development Bw110
To use this tool, you should have a train with a functioning train.dat(with performance data) and sound.cfg(with motorsound data).
Then, head to [File] -> [Create] and choose the train folder. Sounds and performance data will be automatically loaded.
Next, click on the tracks to create keyframes. A keyframe correspounds to the state of the sound at a certain speed (shown above on the "ruler")
The sound between keyframes are automatically interpolated linearly. The interpolation can also be disabled, which results in a violent change in pitch and volume.
A reference media can be loaded, and can be played simultaneously with the motor sound preview, which enables you to compare the difference between the sound in game and the actual sound easily.

I personally found the tool really handy in creating motor sound. I can adjust the parameters precisely and don't have to start the game to check out the result. Smile
As some additional libs are required, the tool is provided as an installation program.

BTW I am not a native English speaker, so sorry for the errors in the text! Smile
Attachments
A Useful Tool to Assist MotorSound Development Attachment
ZBXObveToolkit.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(286 Kb) Downloaded 26 times

Last edited by zbx1425 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
zbx1425
zbx1425

https://www.zbx1425.cn

Tyex likes this post

Back to top Go down

A Useful Tool to Assist MotorSound Development Empty Re: A Useful Tool to Assist MotorSound Development

Post by Northern Line Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:11 am

zbx1425 wrote:Then, head to [File] -> [Create] and choose the train folder. Sounds and performance data will be automatically loaded.

I find looking for the train folder to be somewhat limiting. When the form box opens, it loads into the default folder within the Appdata/Roaming/openbve as set by the program but my actual openbve folder that I use is on an external hard drive and not on my main C:/. Is there a way to allow for full directory searching including all relevant drives?
Northern Line
Northern Line

Back to top Go down

A Useful Tool to Assist MotorSound Development Empty Re: A Useful Tool to Assist MotorSound Development

Post by zbx1425 Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:57 am

I see your point. Will do a hotfix on that! A temporatory solution can also be used:
Create a file called motorsoundhelper.mshd in your train folder, and use a text editor of your choice to write these lines in(EXACTLY!)
Code:

Then open this file using [File]->[Open]. You should be able to start working now!

P.S. You might find the file format quite stupid. The truth is that I didn't feel like programming on that day, so I decided to make it quick & dirty, and this was the result.
zbx1425
zbx1425

Back to top Go down

Post by mikedexion Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:40 am

Hi, thank you for this tool! for some reason the normal MotorSoundEditor does not work as I get a plugin error. But the train I want to work on does not have a sound.cfg file.
Is there any way to use this file for trains that did not come with a sound.cfg file?

I also get the following error no matter what train I load.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '20' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
Parameter name: Value
   at System.Windows.Forms.NumericUpDown.set_Value(Decimal value)
   at MotorSound.MainForm.OpenFolder(String Path)
   at MotorSound.MainForm.NewToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mikedexion

Back to top Go down

Post by S520 Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:55 am

I'm sorry if it was a misunderstanding.
Isn't the tool you used "MotorSoundEditor.exe"?
If so, please refer to the following post.

https://bveworldwide.forumotion.com/t1778-notice-major-update-of-traineditor
S520
S520

https://github.com/s520

Back to top Go down

Post by zbx1425 Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:39 pm

S520 wrote:I'm sorry if it was a misunderstanding.
Isn't the tool you used "MotorSoundEditor.exe"?
If so, please refer to the following post.
Cool! Nice to know you devs are improving our tools from day to day! Will definitely check that out! The new way of editing panels is huge convenience!
This tool is programmed by me, and I use it because of my personal preference. I like editing the sound in a way of keyframes, and I especially need real-time preview ability so I can adjust the parameters without having to restart the game again and again. Also, being able to play the actual sound simultaneously in the background is also helpful.
zbx1425
zbx1425

Back to top Go down

Post by zbx1425 Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:44 pm

mikedexion wrote:Hi, thank you for this tool! for some reason the normal MotorSoundEditor does not work as I get a plugin error. But the train I want to work on does not have a sound.cfg file.
Is there any way to use this file for trains that did not come with a sound.cfg file?

The sound.cfg problem is just because of laziness, since I didn't fell like making a built-in mapping for all the default sound files. I think creating one is preferred and is not too much work.
That error was a unit conversion mismatch caused by me.. My apologize! Sad The new version (I've just updated the attachment) SHOULD fix the problem. Post a reply if it doesn't work out as intended!  Razz
Delete that old motorsoundhelper.mshd file inside your train directory, and create a new one using the new software plz.
Good day!
zbx1425
zbx1425

Back to top Go down

Post by S520 Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:46 pm

Thank you!
Can you help us improve the tool?
S520
S520

https://github.com/s520

Back to top Go down

Post by mikedexion Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:55 am

zbx1425 wrote:
mikedexion wrote:Hi, thank you for this tool! for some reason the normal MotorSoundEditor does not work as I get a plugin error. But the train I want to work on does not have a sound.cfg file.

The sound.cfg problem is just because of laziness, since I didn't fell like making a built-in mapping for all the default sound files. I think creating one is preferred and is not too much work.
That error was a unit conversion mismatch caused by me.. My apologize! Sad The new version (I've just updated the attachment) SHOULD fix the problem. Post a reply if it doesn't work out as intended!  Razz
Delete that old motorsoundhelper.mshd file inside your train directory, and create a new one using the new software plz.
Good day!

Same error Sad

mikedexion

Back to top Go down

Post by zbx1425 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:56 am

mikedexion wrote:same error

First of all sorry for this late reply!
That is really weird. The problem no longer occurs at my side.
Make sure you DELETE the old motorsoundhelper.mshd file and CREATE a new one.
If none of above works, open the motorsoundhelper.mshd file with your text editor of preference, and change the number on the second line. It should look like this:
Code:
Made with ZbxObveToolkit MotorSoundHelper

zbx1425
zbx1425

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down