BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 questions

4 posters

Go down

3 questions Empty 3 questions

Post by Railduck Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:54 pm

1. Should I make first route or train?

2 How long should route be long?

3 Will anyone play fictional route?

Railduck

fcancalon likes this post

Back to top Go down

3 questions Empty Re: 3 questions

Post by fcancalon Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:29 pm

Thanks for these interesting questions  Very Happy.
A personal point of view:
1. A collection of trains is already existing. Additional routes are therefore more than welcome.
2. More than the length, what makes a route interesting is the level of details. Without these details (curves, objects, hills,...) a route may become boring. A route with a national identity is more pleasant as well.
3. Fictional routes may be interesting too, as long as they follow the point 2 rule :-).

By the way, Slovak routes may be of interest, including a route in the Tatra mountains. If the meter gauge line is selected, then both rolling stock and infrastructure will have to be produced which may be a bit complicated for a first attempt. The nearby route to Zakopane (PL) can be operated by re-skinned Flirt trains from Upper-Silesia railway (visiting the area), or PKP-IC rolling stock from Rave. You can create as well a fictional route from Zakopane to Poprad-Tatry : I am sure it has been designed years ago as a railway project connecting two networks.  

https://www.railtarget.cz/passenger/will-a-new-railway-connect-orava-with-krakow-we-know-the-answer-3026.html

Good luck  3 questions 1f609

fcancalon

Back to top Go down

Post by Railduck Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:55 pm

fcancalon wrote:
If the meter gauge line is selected, then both rolling stock and infrastructure will have to be produced which may be a bit complicated for a first attempt.
I could make normal gauge train and route (pretty hard for newbie), but with smaller gauge, like visually it would be 1 meter

Railduck

Back to top Go down

Post by Railduck Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:06 pm

Or I could make that fictional route, because IMO it will be simpler because I don't need to make turns too detailed and i can use some of imagination

Railduck

fcancalon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:14 pm

A fictional route can be more interesting / fun to make. Especially when starting out.  My initial routes were based on authentic scenery / buildings etc, but by inventing the thing it allows the builder to compress a lot of features in a short-ish length of track. Real long-distance rail route sims can be quite uninteresting with not a lot for the driver to do.

And this is just my opinion, for what it's worth: Although route making and train building both need the object building skills they need different mental outlooks. A good route does not come together quickly, it is a long job and a lot of work. I think this explains why there seem to be far more rolling stock items to download than routes.  My last route (Portarlington - "real" route simulation) took more than six months to complete, working equivalent of full-time  on it.  I don't intend to start any more routes, it was hard work and now I've had enough!
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

fcancalon, Gothpaladinus, SP1900 and Rakago like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:44 pm

graymac wrote: My last route […] took more than six months to complete, working equivalent of full-time on it. I don't intend to start any more routes, it was hard work and now I've had enough!
Thank you very much for all you did for the sim. Your work is definitely the content for this sim I've spent most time with.

(And here's a moderative note to myself: Don't drive threads off topic, Quork! Laughing)
Quork
Quork

graymac and Gothpaladinus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down