BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Plymouth Route V1.7.0.0

4 posters

Go down

The Plymouth Route V1.7.0.0 Empty The Plymouth Route V1.7.0.0

Post by leezer3 Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:33 pm

As usual, rather later than planned, I’ve released V1.7.0.0 of the Plymouth Route.

The significant changes are as follows:

• Trackwork rebuilt between Menheniot and Liskeard.
  • GWR 16xx Class Pannier Tank added to the passing train objects.
  • BR Class 50 added to the passing train objects.
  • Minor improvements to the three tunnels on the route [Entrance object, wall profile]
  • Large numbers of assorted objects rebuilt from scratch, with the majority of items in the route now being public domain.
  • A considerable amount of work has been done on Plymouth station, in order to bring it closer to the standards of the rest of the route.

The route is now supplied as an openBVE packaged zip file, intended for use with a recent version from: http://www.openbve-project.net

The package has one dependancy, which is the BRSigs set of libraries. I've created a package for these, which has been posted on the main website here:
http://openbve-project.net/download-extras/

It also has one reccomendation, the Class 52 'Western' available from BVE Cornwall.

New openBVE features:

This update only uses two of the 'new' features introduced:

• Custom loading screens.
  • Displays speed related messages in mph

As such, other than the 'Western' it'll work with previous versions of openBVE, but this is unsupported by myself.

Cheers

Chris Lees

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

leezer3

Back to top Go down

The Plymouth Route V1.7.0.0 Empty Re: The Plymouth Route V1.7.0.0

Post by phontanka Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:57 pm

I've just run it, great! Thank you!
phontanka
phontanka

http://phontanka.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:49 am

Great work. I took it for a run and was very enjoyable. However the colour light signals won't show. Instead the default Japanese signals are shown. I installed both the route and signal packages under Package Management in the program. I noticed that the signals folders were installed outside of the object folder of the installed packaged routes. Also in some of the routes there seems to be missing details towards the end of the route. I noticed this on the 1960’s versions with rain but not on the other runs.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:09 pm

MattD6R wrote:Great work. I took it for a run and was very enjoyable. However the colour light signals won't show. Instead the default Japanese signals are shown. I installed both the route and signal packages under Package Management in the program. I noticed that the signals folders were installed outside of the object folder of the installed packaged routes. Also in some of the routes there seems to be missing details towards the end of the route. I noticed this on the 1960’s versions with rain but not on the other runs.

Hmm, signals work OK at this end Sad
I'm going to make a very slight tweak to the problem reporting function tonight, so that it also includes a copy of your current configuration (Shows installation directories etc.), rather than just the crash description and previous log, and I'll take a closer look when I've done that and can see where it thinks it's installing stuff Smile

You're entirely right that the two 1960s rain files are broken though- I've missed an include statement which means all the new work is missing.....

Temporary patch:
Open up the two routefiles, and replace the following line:
Code:
$Include(..\includes\oldcode\END.csv:7750),
with the following:
Code:
$Include(..\includes\60_MEN_LSK.csv),

On the positive side, a 'real' use for the packages function really helps with finding bugs Razz

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by phontanka Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:25 pm

I also get the Japanese dignals and OpenBVE even said that the signals package is not installed, even though it had been installed before the route.
phontanka
phontanka

http://phontanka.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:23 pm

The fix for those broken route files worked with the end of the route visible. I get the same issue that the signals were not installed even if I install the signals before installing the route.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:29 pm

Signals issue is entirely my fault Sad

I changed the package type from 'Other' to 'Route' for the signal package, as otherwise they weren't extracting in the right place (As you've found!)

I then promptly uploaded the old file......

The intended file should now be uploaded in it's place, and hopefully it should no longer complain!

Note:
This has rather handily shown up a limitation of the current Route/ Train/ Other categories, in that the signals probably shouldn't be displayed as a route.
The answer will probably be to add a category along the lines of 'Common Objects' , but that's a topic for another thread.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:19 am

I have just downloaded the signal package again but it still installs under Other. I also note that in the xml file of the package it is under Other.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:45 am

Loading in program v1.4.230.722 presented two errors:

The file extension is not supported: C:\Trainsim2016\Railway\Object\brsigs\signal4ygfeatherl
The file extension is not supported: C:\Trainsim2016\Railway\Object\brsigs\signal4ygfeatherr
The two objs were missing from my original installed BrSigs folder - I downloaded from the link above and copied them in, and problem solved.

Looking back, the only real problems I encountered with my earlier CTS routes was users complaining of having difficultly with "missing" sigs, due to them being obtained and installed in a separate download. Ever since I included ALL necessary sigs with the CTS object and route folders this problem vanished. I understand BrSigs_open permit use in this way, though BrSema4Sigs does not*. In the end I didn't use any of the BrSema4sigs, as my routes required lower quadrant sema's so I produced my own animated obj sigs with versions for both for the Irish and UK works.
I have no objection to these sigs (as used in the Cheltenham & Cwm Twpsin routes) being used by other OpenBVE developers if they choose to adopt them.

Conditions of use issued with the BrSema4Sigs - these are now quite old, the file was dated 2005. Whether the author (Simon Gathercole) would possibly allow totally unrestricted use or allow inclusion of the objects within third party routes at the present time would be speculation. Is anybody in contact with him at all??
This package is intended to be used freely in BVE4 routes.

You may:

use the signal arm and post objects in this package in your routes

You must not:

distribute objects from this package with your own routes - you must ask your users to download the latest version of BrSema4Sigs
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Had a run to Liskeard (the Class 104 stopping -  '60 era, though I used my Hymek and some GWR Mk1s rather than the dmu) and delighted with the improvements you've made.
The stopping (end) point at Liskeard is a few hundred yards short of the station, on the viaduct!!Is that deliberate?

Something I noticed, must have to do with rail cant, is that it can seem like the train's "off the rails" because it seems the sim doesn't tilt the train to match the track angle (see pic) What a Face

The Plymouth Route V1.7.0.0 Cant10

Last edited by graymac on Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:16 pm

graymac wrote:Loading in program v1.4.230.722 presented two errors:

The file extension is not supported: C:\Trainsim2016\Railway\Object\brsigs\signal4ygfeatherl
The file extension is not supported: C:\Trainsim2016\Railway\Object\brsigs\signal4ygfeatherr
The two objs were missing from my original installed BrSigs folder - I downloaded from the link above and copied them in, and problem solved.

Looking back, the only real problems I encountered with my earlier CTS routes was users complaining of having difficultly with "missing" sigs, due to them being obtained and installed in a separate download. Ever since I included ALL necessary sigs with the CTS object and route folders this problem vanished. I understand BrSigs_open permit use in this way, though BrSema4Sigs does not*. In the end I didn't use any of the BrSema4sigs, as my routes required lower quadrant sema's so I produced my own animated obj sigs with versions for both for the Irish and UK works.
I have no objection to these sigs (as used in the Cheltenham & Cwm Twpsin routes) being used by other OpenBVE developers if they choose to adopt them.

To the best of my knowledge, both BRSigs & BRSema4Sigs were both subsequently released under the same conditions as BRSigs_Open. This would have been shortly before the TSC closure and what followed.
Simon was also involved with the development of the Public Domain version of X-City South and the replacement UKTrainsys plugin to some extent.

Finally, I've also had specific permission to redistribute/ modify from Simon Gathercole for many years (Stemmed from a conversation on The Transport Forum over at proboards about lower quadrants and various modifications to the base libraries, but openBVE then came along and IIRC they were slated for eventual replacement as part of the BRSigs_Open work (Also involving Anthony B. with his lineside equipment library)), although admittedly that wasn't given with this in mind.

Unfortunately, the email I have for him is now dead, otherwise I'd have tried to get into further contact.

The conditions of use you're quoting were written 11 years ago, and never designed with the current situation in mind, and I think that leaving the original files 100% intact with full notes on the authors is the 'correct' method of doing things.

Happy to engage in reasoned debate with anyone who feels differently-
Knocking up direct replacement files is an alternative (10 minute job)

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:21 pm

graymac wrote:Had a run to Liskeard (the Class 104 stopping -  '60 era, though I used my Hymek and some GWR Mk1s rather than the dmu) and delighted with the improvements you've made.
The stopping (end) point at Liskeard is a few hundred yards short of the station, on the viaduct!!

Something I noticed, must have to do with rail cant, is that it can seem like the train's "off the rails" because it seems the sim doesn't tilt the train to match the track angle (see pic)
The Plymouth Route V1.7.0.0 Cant10

Looks to me as if you're probably spanning a 25m joint there.
Unfortunately, cant works in blocks of 25m, so a coach spanning a joint can sometimes be off whack a little bit.
Coaches with non-moving bogies really exacerbate this effect, as it's working on 2 points 25m apart.

You're entirely right about the stopping point too (Never start adding chunks of length in the middle of routes....) Sad

There will be a revised version in a day or two, which also adds the Menheniot goods loop as a path for the non-stopping freight.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:22 pm

The conditions of use you're quoting were written 11 years ago, and never designed with the current situation in mind, and I think that leaving the original files 100% intact with full notes on the authors is the 'correct' method of doing things.

I agree, unless the author himself indicates he will allow any change of use.
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:30 pm

The "levitating train" was only noticed as a bit of a fluke due to a random camera angle being used to have a look round while the train was stopped for a couple of minutes on the viaduct. It wouldn't ordinarily stop there so its unlikely it would show in ordinary use.

You're entirely right about the stopping point too (Never start adding chunks of length in the middle of routes....)
Very Happy Done it myself, luckily caught it before I released the job. And you've been awfully busy this year, amazing output!!
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks!

There's plenty more to come- I've got a 60% fixed version of Maplestead in my WIP pile, and the Western needs the engine sounds modelling tweaking to add a little randomness to the note, as running on constant full power currently sounds too much like a drone for my tastes.
I've also got the photos (Cab included) to build a Peak, but haven't even started that yet.....

I've made a slight tweak to the text on the signals package, but I'm leaving it at that for the moment.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:27 pm

I tried installing the signals and now that are now working correctly. I note that you have in the freight 1960's route for most of the route several meters above track level on the left a continuous row of houses just like a dike etc. continues along a route until it ended.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down