BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revamp of the Victoria Line

+3
graymac
leezer3
Ad1992
7 posters

Go down

Revamp of the Victoria Line Empty Revamp of the Victoria Line

Post by MyNameIsJeff Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:01 am

Hello BVE Exchange forum!
In this thread I will be posting progress updates on my revamped Victoria Line. The current Victoria Line isn't up to par with today's standards so I am going to recreate it with as much detail as I can.  bounce

I have one concern.

I cannot create tracks. All I can do is create objects which means I will need someone to help me with that part. I also have a 2009TS stock which looks half decent. It has an interior but no door animation. Anyone else who could help me with this?

BTW Progress can only be monitored here and at BVET. I will NOT be posting anywhere else.

Last edited by MyNameIsJeff on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:17 am; edited 2 times in total

MyNameIsJeff

Back to top Go down

Revamp of the Victoria Line Empty Re: Revamp of the Victoria Line

Post by Ad1992 Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:20 pm

Well you either can or at least used to be able to get rail generator programs. Alternative you can just build them yourself like an object and put them in rails.

For curved rails however the best method is to build the rail and then use a program like object bender to create the curve radius you want.

Again there may be something better out there now i'm not sure. Good luck with your project.
Ad1992
Ad1992

http://bvewesternregion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by MyNameIsJeff Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:43 pm

Ad1992 wrote:Well you either can or at least used to be able to get rail generator programs. Alternative you can just build them yourself like an object and put them in rails.

For curved rails however the best method is to build the rail and then use a program like object bender to create the curve radius you want.

Again there may be something better out there now i'm not sure. Good luck with your project.

I've looked everywhere and I haven't found a single rail generator that I can use. I cannot build objects in a .csv file I use a very complicated converting method and that's as far as my understanding will go (for now). Could you help me with placing the tracks? I have sent you a PM with the .csv file of the station (some info included). If you could pile up the whole line I would be more than grateful, if you can't I understand. 

Here's an update of the platform:

As you can see I have finished the platform and I am now going to create the opposite platform.

Updates soon.   lol!

Last edited by MyNameIsJeff on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

MyNameIsJeff

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:28 pm

http://web.archive.org/web/20070205082235/http://www.trainsimcentral.co.uk/downloads/misc/Prail.zip

Use with Switch generated track Smile

Cheers

Chris Lees

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by MyNameIsJeff Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:29 pm

When I open it up on Object Viewer I get these errors:

Code:
[MeshBuilder] is not a supported command - did you mean CreateMeshBuilder? - at line 18 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex -.014 is not supported at line 19 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex .005 is not supported at line 20 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex .004 is not supported at line 21 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex -.013 is not supported at line 22 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex .021 is not supported at line 23 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex -.029 is not supported at line 24 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex .036 is not supported at line 25 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex -.042 is not supported at line 26 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex .046 is not supported at line 27 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex -.049 is not supported at line 28 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex .05 is not supported at line 29 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex .015 is not supported at line 30 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex -.005 is not supported at line 31 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex -.004 is not supported at line 32 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex .013 is not supported at line 33 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex -.021 is not supported at line 34 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex .029 is not supported at line 35 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex -.036 is not supported at line 36 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex .042 is not supported at line 37 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex -.046 is not supported at line 38 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex .049 is not supported at line 39 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex -.05 is not supported at line 40 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Face  0 is not supported at line 41 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Face  1 is not supported at line 42 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Face  2 is not supported at line 43 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Face  3 is not supported at line 44 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Face  4 is not supported at line 45 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Face  5 is not supported at line 46 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Face  6 is not supported at line 47 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Face  7 is not supported at line 48 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Face  8 is not supported at line 49 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Face  9 is not supported at line 50 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Color 140 is not supported at line 51 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
[MeshBuilder] is not a supported command - did you mean CreateMeshBuilder? - at line 53 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex . is not supported at line 54 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex . is not supported at line 55 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex . is not supported at line 56 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex . is not supported at line 57 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex . is not supported at line 58 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex . is not supported at line 59 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex . is not supported at line 60 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv
The command Vertex . is not supported at line 61 in file C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Victoria Line\Walthamstow Central\Waltamstow Central - Copy - Copy.csv

MyNameIsJeff

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:07 pm

mostly syntax errors
CSV syntax is unforgiving, you must use accurate commands and insert commas where necessary.
Try Luigi Cartello's object building guide, english translation available here:
http://bve.altervista.org/guide.html

Personally, I prefer .b3d format to .csv - because I find it less cluttered and faster to write. But you need to be able to use both if you are serious about making stuff.

**simple example of one error in above: in .b3d file the command is "vertex" - same in .csv would be "CreateVertex, " ALWAYS with comma.
Similar applies to 
[meshbuilder] vs CreateMeshbuilder,
face  vs AddFace,
coordinates  vs  SetTextureCoordinates,

........ as you see, .csv is a bit more long-winded to write.
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:22 pm

I also have a 2009TS stock which looks half decent. It has an interior but no door animation. Anyone else who could help me with this?

Examine a train with animated doors and you will probably be able to work it out. The code will be much the same, though your objects will be unique and you'll have to work on that. You build the doors (each one) as a separate object file.
One tip for doors, i found the time to open and shut them is actually the same as the duration of the doorcls sound file in practice.
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by MyNameIsJeff Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:13 pm

POST DELETED

Last edited by MyNameIsJeff on Sat May 02, 2015 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

MyNameIsJeff

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned Fri May 01, 2015 2:18 pm

MyNameIsJeff wrote:....I don't have many references. If anyone could get me some that would be great!

I was always under the impression Rule 1 of modelling anything, whether that be in 0 gauge, 00 gauge etc, or Virtually. Is do your research first...

I've got a couple of projects 'in the works', which although not much is getting done quickly. Hours and hours of research, and reference photos, line drawings etc, have been compiled, looked at, looked at again, and again, until im absolutely sure what i'm doing it accurate, and will be correct upon release. Rather than stick a few bits together, and have it look like a 3 year old has drawn it with their crayons, and say "Oh well that'll do!"

Don't get me wrong, it is good to see new developers to the scene.... And welcome, I hope you get the help and support you need, and I hope you'll be bringing more and more products to the community for years to come. But I can't stress enough how important research is...

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by devilreborn Fri May 01, 2015 4:42 pm

MyNameIsJeff wrote:After various attempts, I discarded the exterior because it was too high poly. Instead I have started building a 3D cab. I have only built half of it and I don't have many references. If anyone could get me some that would be great!

Well it is not enjoyable at all when you worked hard to finish your model, only to find out later that something is wrong (in particular, out of scale) in your model Laughing Research is indeed important.

BTW there is already quite a handful of cab pics showing up by doing an image search on "2009 stock cab" (although you have probably already done that  Very Happy ) You may also find the existing OpenBVE 2009 stock (with 2D cab) useful.
devilreborn
devilreborn

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned Fri May 01, 2015 7:59 pm

devilreborn wrote:Well it is not enjoyable at all when you worked hard to finish your model, only to find out later that something is wrong (in particular, out of scale) in your model Laughing Research is indeed important.

I remember someone releasing a class 159 a bit like that... Same person said "I don't use scale drawings when I create models, I just make it look right..." Rolling Eyes

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Fri May 01, 2015 8:23 pm

I remember someone releasing a class 159 a bit like that... Same person said "I don't use scale drawings when I create models, I just make it look right..." Revamp of the Victoria Line Icon_rolleyes

Problem emerges when you ask, "Look right relative to what?" I admit I've done a fair bit of "guesstimating" in the past, when full measurements cannot be found. Still, you need some accurate dimensions to start with. Even if it's only car width/length/height, as an instance of the minimum.
I've seen some examples that are just plain WRONG. And I would be a liar if I said I never had to scrap or resize anything.
Though we can learn from mistakes too.
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned Fri May 01, 2015 9:57 pm

But Graymac. Said developer was OFFERED drawings, and said "What do I want them for, I don't use scale drawings!" Rolling Eyes

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by devilreborn Sat May 02, 2015 6:51 am

pedned wrote:But Graymac. Said developer was OFFERED drawings, and said "What do I want them for, I don't use scale drawings!" Rolling Eyes

Some people may be more comfortable with a trial-and-error approach. Maybe it is that feeling of success and satisfaction when you take the time to gradually adjust the positions of vertices and end up with something that you feel just "right" and look nice. For example I once saw someone who had the patience (and the time) to completely hand-code a somewhat curved front of a metro EMU. If it were me I would have used 3d modelling programs straight away Laughing

For beginners though I personally believe drawings (given such drawings exist for 2009 stock, not sure) or at least some technical data, e.g. dimensions would be quite helpful.
devilreborn
devilreborn

Back to top Go down

Post by MyNameIsJeff Mon May 04, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks for the feedback. I have deleted the cab and will start again when I have done more research. In other news, for some reason my textures keep coming out really weird.
Texture:
Revamp of the Victoria Line Victor10

In game:
Revamp of the Victoria Line Fathead

MyNameIsJeff

DoctorRai likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MyNameIsJeff Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:20 pm

I just want to announce that this is still a Work in Progress and I'm still working on it, but recently I've had the idea of including the old stations in a separate route file, but I don't have enough pictures available, so if anyone could help with references, I'd appreciate it.
Here's something to keep you refreshed.
Revamp of the Victoria Line Warrenstreetwip
Revamp of the Victoria Line Stockwellwip

MyNameIsJeff

DoctorRai likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorRai Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:58 am

Is this still continued?

DoctorRai

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:14 pm

Please do not re-open 8 year old topics to ask for an update.

If this project is still going, the developer is welcome to post one, however I'm locking this topic in the meantime as otherwise it'll descend into a mess.

Thanks.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down