BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fixing Route and Train Errors

4 posters

Go down

Fixing Route and Train Errors Empty Fixing Route and Train Errors

Post by buckysam Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently decided to start work on a new project. Recently, I was going through my list of routes and trains I have noticed that a lot of the routes/trains I have whenever are loaded, a lot of errors occur. Obviously, the developer should fix these errors but with most of the routes, the developer has stopped working on it or has disappeared from the community and these routes/trains just stay like, all messed up and stuff. tongue I am hoping to change that. Seeing as this year, I have a study hall at school, I now have some free time. I am going to take these old routes/trains and fix all the errors associated with them (provided the error can be fixed) and re-release them (but still giving props to the original creator Wink ) for everyone to enjoy. I'll decide if I'll post them on here or create a site to host them on later after I get some fixed. If the developer is still around and has a route/train that needs to be fixed but doesn't have the time to do so, I will gladly help them out. Smile I'm going to be looking into the causes of some errors and how to fix them. If anyone has any route/train that needs to be fixed, either post a link to it or PM me with the name of the route/train and I'll see if I have it in my extensive collection. Laughing(Yeah, I have a bunch) If you're a developer, please PM me if you would like me to help with anything. Any questions or comments, feel free to post on here. That's all I've got for now. Bye. Very Happy

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Fixing Route and Train Errors Empty Re: Fixing Route and Train Errors

Post by Quork Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Noble wish, but that's illegal. You'd still need the creators explicit permission for re-release, except the license states otherwise. No license means nothing without permission.

Apart from that, especially older routes create three- or even fourdigit numbers of errors in OpenBVE - and still work flawlessly. That's due to standard incompatibilities due to evolution of the formats. Those errors are to be ignored and nothing else.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by buckysam Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:52 pm

What?! Shocked Well, that's lovely. I thought it would be fine as long as I gave full credit to the original author. As long as I didn't claim it as my own, everything would be ok. Well, could a moderator delete this topic please?

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:58 pm

There's nothing to prevent you from reworking or modifying and existing route for your own personal pleasure and use.
If you do so and the result is worthy, you could try and contact the original creator and see if you can agree terms to allow the updated work to become available.

Many of the old BVE2 crew from the early days have moved on and you may find it harder work and much more frustrating tracking them down to ask permissions than the effort of updating the work.
But without permission you will be asking for trouble if you distribute your renovated version.

Have fun but tread carefully :-)

(if a moderator does want to perhaps lock, rather than delete, this thread it does serve as good advice to this quite important question that buckysam has brought up. Thank you buckysam for mentioning it.)
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephen Cross Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi,

So we shoot down another as they try to get the grips with learning to code in BVE / OpenBVE. We are an ever decreasing group that needs to encourage / nurture those new to the hobby.

Those that have left the BVE Community, some possibly forever for their own varying reasons once had a passion for this great simulation and with the exception of a small few I doubt they would mind (or care really) if someone picked up where they left off.

Also seeing that some ceased development in BVE2 or 4 days they didn't get the benefit of OpenBVE's much better error capture. If all he is doing is learning how the original author made / structured things and doing that works out were the errors are and has managed to correct them then we have a new source in the making for new routes.

I trod on Gray's toes when after a long lay off due to a serious illness returned to the BVE Community as part of relearning BVE (and a lot of other things I once took for granted too) recoded one of his routes to be 100% error free and OpenBVE compatible. Gray denied the release of this rework, in which nothing was altered bar some smoother track. So I had the opportunity to relearn through this exercise and it now too has become another piece of the ever increasing list of BVE creations lost to us (unless Gray kept the copy I sent to him).

I can't speak for Sam but I didn't want any credit just thought it would be nice for a BVE Community now using OpenBVE to have access to a copy that came up with no errors. Though I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to be able to still talk to the original author as he is still active and producing great routes for all of us to enjoy.

Quork you need to chill and instead of damning everything look at the bigger picture, OpenBVE's development is dead and the only real option one day is to goto BVE5 (of which is a mystery to most). If we kill off any small chance of nurturing new talent then your rants will no longer have forum as there will be no BVE / OpenBVE Community around to listen to them.

Bye for now,

Stephen.
Stephen Cross
Stephen Cross

http://www.bve-terminus.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:23 am

I beg your pardon?
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down