BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fixing Errors

+2
graymac
buckysam
6 posters

Go down

Fixing Errors Empty Fixing Errors

Post by buckysam Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:16 pm

Recently, I have started going through some routes that I have that are reporting numerous errors. My hopes is to fix most of these errors, (I believe some errors cant be fixed due to differences between BVE2/4 and openBVE. Correct me if I'm wrong.) and with permission from the creator (if I can find him/her), re-release the route with the fixes. I have already fixed a few but the issue I have is that I can't seem to understand what some of the errors mean and how to fix them. I am hoping that I can get some help. Here are a few I can remember right now.

• Red is required to be within the range from 0 to 255 - I know what the error means, but what would i do to fix it?
  • RailIndex references a non-existing rail in track.railend
  • RailIndex is required to reference a non-existing rail in track.railstart
  • RailIndex could be out of range in Track.FreeObj 

I'll add more as I come across them.

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Fixing Errors Empty Re: Fixing Errors

Post by graymac Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:17 am

Red is required to be within the range from 0 to 255

You need to locate the .b3d / .csv file for the object in question and ensure any color value lines (SetColor) give RGB values between 0-255

All RailIndex errors usually arise where an object referenced to additional rail (for example "Rail 2") at a location along the route (e.g. "5000) fails to find the specified rail. Two usual causes: "Railstart 2) hasn't been put in the route code before the given location OR "RailEnd 2" has been put in before the location, meaning the rail no longer exists.
Remember rails, other than Rail 0, the "running rail", can be used for other purposes than just displaying track objects. A "dummy rail" can be used to show roads  and scenery as well. Locating RailIndex errors can be tiresome. Good luck.
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hkmtrhah Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:33 pm

buckysam wrote:with permission from the creator (if I can find him/her)
"them". I also want to implement some new features in openBVE too but it seems quite hard to become a co-developer of it.
hkmtrhah
hkmtrhah

http://about.me/hkgsherlock

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:08 pm

hkmtrhah wrote:
buckysam wrote:with permission from the creator (if I can find him/her)
"them". I also want to implement some new features in openBVE too but it seems quite hard to become a co-developer of it.

I think the long and the short of that one is that you'll never become an 'official' co-developer with the past history.
Michelle is long gone, and Odyakufan is unlikely to agree to adding anything to the official source- There's been a couple of small fixes since the falling out, but I don't see any new work as at all likely to be done.

If you're capable of doing that, then I'd create a fork TBQH.

Back onto the original topic-
In general, there should be nothing unfixable between BVE and OpenBVE.
The only difference is highlighted in the errata page, in that the type paramater of Track.Signal may be misinterpreted as upto 3 degrees of yaw.

BVE is simply more tolerant of errors.

Other things you want to look out for is misplaced objects- BVE handled decimals in block positions slightly differently (IIRC an object placed at 124.9 for example will be different in BVE & OpenBVE), and rounded in some cases, wheras OpenBVE will always parse strictly.

Cheers

Chris Lees

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by buckysam Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:05 pm

graymac wrote:All RailIndex errors usually arise where an object referenced to additional rail (for example "Rail 2") at a location along the route (e.g. "5000) fails to find the specified rail. Two usual causes: "Railstart 2) hasn't been put in the route code before the given location OR "RailEnd 2" has been put in before the location, meaning the rail no longer exists.
Remember rails, other than Rail 0, the "running rail", can be used for other purposes than just displaying track objects. A "dummy rail" can be used to show roads  and scenery as well. Locating RailIndex errors can be tiresome. Good luck.
Yeah. I'm still confused by this.  scratch Could someone give me a simple explaination, or maybe direct me to something that explains the railindex differently?

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:35 pm

Simple: If rail "2" is defined from position 1000 to 2000 as in

With Track
.RailStart 2, 3, 0, 1
.RailEnd 2, 3, 0

Putting some object on rail "2" at position 3000 won't work obviously. That's a RailIndex error.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by buckysam Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Quork wrote:Simple: If rail "2" is defined from position 1000 to 2000 as in

With Track
.RailStart 2, 3, 0, 1
.RailEnd 2, 3, 0

Putting some object on rail "2" at position 3000 won't work obviously. That's a RailIndex error.
I'm trying but I'm just not following. What are the numbers after railstart and railend? And Putting some object on rail "2" at position 3000 won't work obviously. That's a RailIndex error. How is that an error?  Neutral I never knew coding a route was so hard. Now I know.

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Sorry, I can't take any "correction" attempts seriously when executed by someone so unknowledgeable about the thing they want to do...

Get the documentation >>here<< on BrnoBVE, read it and then you can ask anything you didn't understand. Just right now, there is no sense in discussing this topic with you at all.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:58 pm

@Buckysam, it isn't really hard. Get the documentation for Dennis Lance's route building tutoria - the link's in the "knowledge" and print out ALL the instructions to have ready to go to work. You can download the objects for the tutorials, then follow it all one step at a time. When you have learned the stuff in there you will be on the way to becoming a builder.
I know it works. How do you suppose I learned the stuff??   Very Happy
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:07 pm

*looking shocked towards Gray* YOU of all people... I was always sure you were born an OpenBVE content creator Very Happy  Shocked
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by mobile1 Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:36 pm

Graymac is correct, that's exactly how I started to hand code....print out the tutorial by Dennis Lance, type it into your computer, step by step, go back on anything you dont quite understand...it works....dont be afraid to ask questions...i am not, i still have problems, unless your a wizz kid with a computer and coding , you will have problems.....try altering someone else's work, but don't pass it off as your own....go ahead and try....you will do it...we need more coders......mobile1
mobile1
mobile1

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:22 am

*looking shocked towards Gray* YOU of all people... I was always sure you were born an OpenBVE content creator Fixing Errors Icon_biggrin  Fixing Errors Icon_eek

Far from it. I first tried to get involved four years ago, using the old "routebuilder" program, and just couldn't understand how to work it. I stumbled across the Dennis Lance tutorials and began from the start, without expecting to be able to master it. I'm never a programmer, in the real sense of the word - no knowledge of Basic, C# or HTML - yet this BVE protocol is quite easy, if you take it one step at a time. You only need time and a bit of patience.
The rest, as they say, is history  Positive
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:15 pm

Of course, that comment was rather intended as a complimenting joke^^

But yeah, basically that's the most important thing - it's all practice, we are all born with the same knowledge: How to breathe and how to cry. Anything else must be learned.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down