BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Differentiation between Electric and Non-Electric Trains

+5
tonytrainsfree1
mrknowitall
graymac
Drag0nflamez
CaptED
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Differentiation between Electric and Non-Electric Trains Empty Differentiation between Electric and Non-Electric Trains

Post by CaptED Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi to all Readers.

Edited for Simplicity.... Look at the Route List... If you use one please comment on rather it is Electric or Non-Electric or a Mix ..
Also list the Train(s) that you use on the Route...
====================================================================================
So for the Beginners ... Copy and Paste to a Text file and as the comments come in we can edit the list...
====================================================================================

Directory of E:\OpenBVE_1420\Railway\Route

01.) 19 Routes---Birmingham_Cross-City_South_openBVE [UK] ALL ELECTRIC OVERHEAD WIRE

02.) 25 Routes---BWR-2012 [Ireland] All NON-Elec..Thanks "Gray"

03.) 28 Routes---Chashinai Railway [Japan}

04.) 17 Routes---ECML [UK] MIXED ELEC. * NON-ELEC.

05.) 07 Routes---elr_open [UK] NON-ELECTRIC..

06.) 04 Routes---FirstBrnoTrack [Czech] ALL ELECTRIC OVERHEAD WIRE.. Thanks "Derryck"

07.) 01 Route----Kiralyliget [Hungary] NON-ELECTRIC ..

08.) 02 Routes---Midland Suburban Line [UK] NON-ELECTRIC

09.) 34 Routes---Network West Midlands [UK] MIXED (ELEC & NON-ELEC)

10.) 03 Routes---Northern Line OpenBVE [UK] 3rd RAIL ELECTRIC

13.) 25 Routes---NYCT-F [v4.51] [New York City Transit]

14.) 03 Routes---NYCT-G (Nostalgia R1) [New York City Transit]

15.) 04 Routes---NYCT-G (to Annadale 2.0) [New York City Transit]

16.) 04 Routes---NYCT-Q (perth Amboy4) [New York City Transit]

17.) 02 Routes---Solyomvar [Hungary] ELECTRIC OVERHEAD WIRE

18.) 03 Routes---Solyomvar-Kiralyliget [Hungary] MIXED (USE A DIESEL)

======================================================

Now to the List of Trains... I am missing alot of Electric Trains that use Overhead wires...
So give me a hint... What Train You use or like .... If I have make mistakes Please let me Know...

Directory of E:\OpenBVE_1420\Train

"Elec=Electric" "Diesel" "EMU=Electric Multiple Unit"
"DMU=Diesel Multiple Unit"...
=================================================
Elec (Czech Electric) 163-133-7v4
Elec (Czech Electric) 362-019-2v4
Elec (Czech Electric) 362-112-5v4
Diesel BR_Class37-416_passenger_openBVE
Chashinai Railway
EMU CL 450 HQ 2012
Diesel cl104_DMC_2CAR_BLUE
Diesel cl104_DMC_2CAR_BLUE _markerbox
Diesel cl104_DMC_3CAR_BLACKPOOL_MANCHESTER_SET
DMU Cl143 2 car Arriva Trains Wales Hi Res
DMU Cl143 2 car First Great Western Hi Res
DMU Cl170 4 car Cross Country
DMU Cl170 4 car London Midland
DMU CL185 V1.0
DEMU Cl220 4 car Cross Country
DEMU Cl220 4 car Virgin Voyager
DEMU Cl221 5 car Cross Country
EMU Cl323 3 car Refurb London Midland
Diesel cl43 MTU HST 2PC only OPEN
Diesel cl57 007 Freightliner Fully Loaded OPEN
DMU class 159 SWT 3 car
DMU class 159 SWT 9 car
Diesel Class 43 Cross Country NEW (Diesel-Electric)
Diesel Class 43 East Midlands Trains (Diesel-Electric)
Diesel class66_openBVE
Diesel HST4_openBVE
Diesel IE071
Diesel IE141
Diesel IE201
Diesel IE22000
Diesel IE2700
Diesel IE29000
Diesel M41 Bhv
Diesel M41 Halbi
Diesel M41 InterCity
Diesel M41 Szemely
Diesel M61 Gyors
Diesel M61 Halbi
Diesel M61 Szemely
SUBWAY R160
SUBWAY R160-Siemens
SUBWAY R46 OpenBVE
Diesel SD90MAC
Elec V43_Bhv
Elec V43_Gyors
Elec V43_Halbi
Elec V43_InterCity
Elec V43_Szemely

Added Trains....
Diesel 814 Duo & Trio
EMU Class 350

Sorry about this being as long as it is....
Ed

Last edited by CaptED on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:09 pm; edited 11 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding to List)
CaptED
CaptED

Back to top Go down

Differentiation between Electric and Non-Electric Trains Empty Re: Differentiation between Electric and Non-Electric Trains

Post by Drag0nflamez Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Hint-hint: class 43 are diesel-electric.

Where did you get the ECML from?

Drag0nflamez

Back to top Go down

Differentiation between Electric and Non-Electric Trains Empty Re: Differentiation between Electric and Non-Electric Trains

Post by CaptED Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi "Drag0nflamez"

Here is the Link to "ECML"

http://eezypeazy.co.uk/page3aa.html

Now to the "Hint-hint: class 43 are diesel-electric"

To me a Diesel Electric means Diesel Engine Running a Generator
and that Powering the Electric Traction Motors...
( Traction motors on older engines are DC and the newer Engines are AC)

If it is the same for You than the Train is a Diesel and does not use
Overhead Wires...

Keep in mind I am in Southern USA and we do not have any Electric Trains..

Thanks
Ed

CaptED
CaptED

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:07 pm

You'll love the Brits, Ed, It gets worse, some of their trains are third rail electrification!

The old class 43 was a diesel hydraulic, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_43_%28Warship_Class%29

The later one, sometimes called the "HST" is indeed diesel-electric:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_43_%28HST%29
in the manner you describe with engine/gen/traction motors.
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptED Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi Gray...

Thanks for the info...

Are all Your 25 Routes in "BWR-2012" Non Electric...
(ie) NON overhead wire or third Rail...

I have only tried 12 of Your Routes... Each seem to be a new experience ....

Ed

CaptED
CaptED

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Class 350 Wink EMU
mrknowitall
mrknowitall

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:48 pm

We dont have third rail in Ireland, Ed. The suburban trains in Dublin (DART - Dublin Area Rapid Transit, thanksbetojaysus it's not Frankfurt!) are 1500v DC overhead wire. No BWR routes have been electrified.
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by tonytrainsfree1 Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:22 pm

how long is the dart and is it comeing to open bve I have been on it 3 times

tonytrainsfree1

Back to top Go down

Post by hurricanemk1c Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:34 pm

The DART would be about 30-40 miles long, but the main problem is good quality photographs of the trains, stations etc. As all DART stations are barriered and both myself and Gray don't go into Dublin a lot (I myself only go in 4 times a year, and not to stations), getting these specific shots of the stuff is not easy. If we could get the right shots, I'm sure it *could* be in the pipeline. But at the moment, it is merely a dream.

For the BWR, all the stock is 'local' to us - minimum travel, max enjoyment.
hurricanemk1c
hurricanemk1c

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:35 pm

lol... Well, we have DB Regio Hessen S-Bahn Frankfurt am Main round here Laughing Or shortly just the Frankfurt S-Bahn.

1.5kV DC? The DART is quite new, isn't it? Strange one would decide for this system... It made sense back when Poland was electrified, but with modern technology neither the decision for such a low voltage nor the decision for DC would seem sensible. However, assuming it was engineers and not politicians or financist who decided on the matter, there surely were reasons to do so. Do you know them maybe?
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by tonytrainsfree1 Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:37 pm

hurricanemk1c wrote:The DART would be about 30-40 miles long, but the main problem is good quality photographs of the trains, stations etc. As all DART stations are barriered and both myself and Gray don't go into Dublin a lot (I myself only go in 4 times a year, and not to stations), getting these specific shots of the stuff is not easy. If we could get the right shots, I'm sure it *could* be in the pipeline. But at the moment, it is merely a dream.

For the BWR, all the stock is 'local' to us - minimum travel, max enjoyment.
I coude help if you need any thank

tonytrainsfree1

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:56 pm

@Quork -
1.5kV DC? The DART is quite new, isn't it?
The "new kid on the block" is the LUAS, which is a tram system. Dart has been around a while now, about 30 years AFAIK. Rolling stock has been modernised or replaced but the power system remains the same.

Although the thought of electrification of suburban parts of BWR was considered before the release of BWR-2012, there are no plans for a Dart, or Dart inspired route on celtictrainsim at present.
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by tonytrainsfree1 Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 pm

it is a idea for I open bve route

tonytrainsfree1

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:08 pm

30 years is quite young in this matter. 30 years ago, 3-phase-current technology was already being used for rail traction, making high-voltage AC supply the easiest one (lowest losses, easy handling (transformation))
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by hurricanemk1c Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:19 pm

The DART was introduced around 1984. I think the 1.5kv DC system was inspired by mainland Europe, but don't quote me on that!
hurricanemk1c
hurricanemk1c

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Whatever, one thing's for sure. We ain't gonna change it for the forseeable future. Seeing as our stupid government have given the Bundesbank all our dosh (by converting Bank debt into sovereign debt as a result of bailing out the crooked banks) plus more in the future that we haven't got, so we are all in debt until we will be 300 years old at least.
Goodbye 1.5kv dart and welcome to donkey and cart, and I don't need to spell out the exhaust emissions for that! Lucky old Dublin Very Happy
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Differentiation between Electric and Non-Electric Trains 500px-Europe_rail_electrification_de.svg
(Wikipedia)

You probably speak of Deutsche Bank and not the Bundesbank. The Bundesbank is the central bank of Germany (just like the Central Bank of Ireland in your country), while Deutsche Bank is a completely private bank dealing with such ethical things like food price speculation and other atrocities called "investment banking" in the culprit's language.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:33 pm

The DART was introduced around 1984.
Electrification began at Dun Laoghaire around 1981. I wondered if the low voltage was because of the limited height clearance on the route as proximity to 25kvac is more dangerous than (relatively) low voltage DC? You would have to ask CIE for the reasons why that system was chosen in preference to what should be a more economical alternative.
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:36 pm

You probably speak of Deutsche Bank and not the Bundesbank.
To be honest I think they're all as bad as each other. The Deutsche Bank, Anglo-Irish Bank, ECB, they were all happy to have their snouts in the trough when the going was good and the property markets made them rich and fat. Capitalism sucks.
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:44 pm

The height might be of importance... Basically you say minimum safety distance to be 1cm/kV for electricians, 10cm/kV for adaequatly educated personnel and 20cm/kV for the general public.

The central banks, as Bundesbank, ECB, Central Bank of Ireland, they are merely trustees of the sovereigns money; they issue and regulate it. They're pretty much the same in non-capitalist systems as well. Even in communism, someone has to manage the whole thing. The central banks are public authorities and have not much more common with "the banks" than the name itself.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by James Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Quork wrote:The height might be of importance... Basically you say minimum safety distance to be 1cm/kV for electricians, 10cm/kV for adaequatly educated personnel and 20cm/kV for the general public.

I hope we're adequately educating our customers before they board our 25kV trains (it's a bit difficult to board a train without coming within 5 metres over the overhead wires...) Wink

James

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:38 pm

That's probably is country-specific Smile It's 15cm/150cm/300cm in Germany. There's no physical reason for keeping a distance of more than 25cm towards your overhead wire, so 1.5m for personnel and 3m for passengers would still be enough. The reason for the extra distance is, people don't think about the dangers. Or if they do, many think only the lower wire of the catenary is under voltage. Also, as long as they do only what they are supposed to do, they'll never come nearer than 3m. Metallic balloons, climbing on vehicles etc. is forbidden by regulations. Of course, there's those youngsters whose IQ lies somewhere between 7 (able to breathe) and 10, who think it's great to climb on cargo carriages... They're regularly found in somewhat carbonated and dehydrated form on diverse railway installations. Darwin, you know Laughing
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:53 pm

They're regularly found in somewhat carbonated and dehydrated form on diverse railway installations. Darwin, you know Smile
Like!

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust,
If the OHLE doesn't get you
then the devil must
LOL

And that map says Ireland is "nicht elektrifiziert", the truth is it's "ein wenig elektrifziert" although its only about 40 km
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by James Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Actually, if you look very closely there is a tiny orange dot over Dublin!

The way it's drawn is a bit inconsistent though. The whole of Wales is shown as 25kV, despite having no electrified railway at all (unless somebody can prove me wrong...)

James

Back to top Go down

Post by Northern Line Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:12 am

This is all great stuff to hear but I'd prefer that we stick to the topic. you can create another topic with this in the off topic or real railway section.

Thanks

Shaq
Northern Line
Northern Line

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next