BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Route Editor Alph Testers Wanted

+6
Stephen Cross
ecreek
LabRatAndy
Dexter
Northern Line
phileakins
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Route Editor Alph Testers Wanted - Page 3 Empty Re: Route Editor Alph Testers Wanted

Post by Dexter Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:32 pm

Hello Phil,

I have made some notes using the IOTE software and I have got two ideas. The question is if this could be turned into practise, but I will give a try:

1) When inserting a .freeobject command, you receive a hint window full of zero's. I know it is a template to tell the user how many parameters the command should have, but how about using words instead of zero's? Words saying what does each value represent? (rail relation; object index; x-position; y-position; etc...

2) Would it be possible to construct a helper with list of freeobjects sorted by their index? It would be very helpful to have some hint window popping up after coming to the "object index" in ".freeobject" command allowing you to view the obbject names and indexes and pick the one you intend to put to the given place. It is a pain in the lower back when you forget the object index and you have to go all the way up to the top of the file to find out the correct object index... if you know what I mean. :-)

Maybe I am doing something wrong, or in a difficult way. If so, pelase let me know.  Very Happy  Very Happy
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Route Editor Alph Testers Wanted - Page 3 Empty Re: Route Editor Alph Testers Wanted

Post by phileakins Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi D

Actually the hints are user editable so you can make the change for yourself, but it does mean editing the appropriate XML file and re-compiling it through a a built in IOTE 'Object' menu option. Not for the faint hearted though as you must not affect the XML structure, only the text within it, and expect the Editor to carry on working!

I'll get on it.

Actually, the second suggestion goes some way towards the suggestion I made to you both about the construction of the Object folder and the auto insertion of object file names in the script. Adding in a .Freeobj index hadn't crossed my mind, it's a good idea. It could be taken a little further by auto-incrementing the index as free objects are added to the script though. Hmmmm.....

So, to be clear, you'd also like a pop-up with the list of free objects (with indices) added to the script being edited, selectable so that the index only gets added at the cursor position. Sorry to be pedantic but I have to have a clear picture before I can think about coding.

Thanks for the constructive ideas D, this shows that real users can come up with real ideas I can work with. The more people that use the Editor the more real ideas flow and improvements can be made. Hint! Big Hint!!

Cheers.

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:30 pm

PS - Thinking a bit laterally, not my best point after a glass or two of this red stuff - more horizontally you understand, you already have the ability to record (copy and paste) your Freeobj script namespace into your Notes (under the Help Menu Option) ..... Add with the 'Quick Add' option and they'll be date/time stamped as well! Open and keep the 'Edit Notes' window about and you'll have your freeobj list readily available.

Of course if you want to re-use the same Freeobj list elsewhere - use the Snippets option.

That'll keep you going for the moment.

Cheers and happy Christmas to all.

Phil

Last edited by phileakins on Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Too many of me)

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Couple of notes from this end:
1. Consider highlighting different commands in different colors. Very useful to have, and makes reading a complex file much easier Smile
2. Can you add formatting tokens to your XML descriptor files at the minute? You're using a custom structure, and I'm not familar with the editor base you're using. Bolding the basic commands & attributes would make them stand out much better from the descriptions Smile

Cheers

Chris Lees

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:48 am

Actually Chris, you might find the colour highlighting I've used to be familiar! I've 'borrowed' your Notepad++ scheme.

The editable XML files are just raw data with tags to suit the OBVE documentation. They are not used directly. The data files actually used day-to-day have been written out using 'native' C# commands so as to gain speed in loading when the program starts as there is no custom processing. I did it that way as it seemed to be getting the best of both worlds - user editable 'raw' data and faster start-up.

Any adornment will have to be written in at program level, at least at present.

Cheers.

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Ah, I've just realised why then. A small bug-
If a command does not conform to your expected capitalization, then highlighting doesn't work, other than all numbers being in blue.

I assume you're just running a simple string comparison, so see here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6371150/comparing-two-strings-ignoring-case-in-c-sharp

Cheers

Chris Lees

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:55 pm

I wouldn't call it a bug - as it is doing exactly what it was written to do, highlight reserved words as set forth in the documentation.  Smile 

However, now you've mentioned it I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the link, unfortunately it is not quite as simple as that ....... 

Keep the comments coming please.

Cheers.

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:02 pm

Check the documentation again - the capitalisation is explicitly irrelevant for OpenBVE. However it should be encoureged nevertheless; it makes for a better readable code in my eyes.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:11 pm

Thanks for that Q - as I said, I'll revisit it.

Incidentally, selection of a reserved word from the pop-up menu system will result in highlighting as it would be capitalised.

Cheers.

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3