BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Development discontinued - discussing the direction to go

+16
alvinhochun
Bucket_of_mud
liquid_
Drag0nflamez
BruceS
joeyfjj
mrknowitall
Gothpaladinus
ecreek
Damian John Wit
graymac
phontanka
Quork
Chris [CT1660]
Dexter
Dj Hammers
20 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Development discontinued - discussing the direction to go Empty Development discontinued - discussing the direction to go

Post by Dj Hammers Wed May 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Mod Edit:
This board has been re-purposed for use with the current development builds Smile
I think the discussion in this topic is valuable, so I'm leaving it here for the moment, but locking it for further replies.
-leezer3

CT1660 and I are in the process of putting up a website that could be used for hosting openbve development.

CT1660 took a FULL online backup of trainsimframework.org right before it went down, and we hope to ideally put the entire website back up just like it was before on a domain that would be easier to find on search engines such as google and would not be as alienating to people who are not well versed in technology...
Trainsimframework" was not necessarily the most welcoming domain name to a person who has no idea what a software framework even is.

Of course, we hope to stay away from having a monopoly on the ownership of said site. We wish to have further development of OpenBVE be mutual among all of the BVE communities, and would like to have developers from BVEWorldwide and several other sites also participate as admins of this site.

Just to shoot down any residual rumors, BVEStation IS NOT looking to create a separate fork of OpenBVE, but rather wishes to collaborate with the continued development of OpenBVE.

Last edited by Dj Hammers on Thu May 10, 2012 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Dj Hammers
Dj Hammers

Back to top Go down

Development discontinued - discussing the direction to go Empty Re: Development discontinued - discussing the direction to go

Post by Dexter Wed May 09, 2012 9:16 pm

That sounds reasonable enough, Mr Hammers. I am thinking about participation in administration of the site, but the question is what would be expected from such admin...
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Development discontinued - discussing the direction to go Empty Re: Development discontinued - discussing the direction to go

Post by Dj Hammers Wed May 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Being an admin would entail uploading updated versions of OpenBVE, editing and writing documentation (most likely on a wiki), and possibly moderating an openbve support forum (the details of which should be dealt with at a later point).
Dj Hammers
Dj Hammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris [CT1660] Wed May 09, 2012 9:54 pm

I have pre-compiled a Mac version of OpenBVE, so that the terminal won't be necessary anymore. The Linux version is currently pending. As soon as that is done, my goal is to ensure all 3 main platforms can have a click-and-play experience, instead of dealing with the terminal on Mac OS X and Linux.

So we have that ready, and you can find the pre-compiled version for OS X below:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxvcGVuYnZlc2ltfGd4OjUwNmVmOWNmMTMxZGY1ZGY

I have a FULL backup of the entire OpenBVE site, including the managed content.

Chris [CT1660]

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Wed May 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Did somebody already contact the hungarian scene? Namely Gothpaladinus? Seems noone of them is round here, but being a very active scene we should include them in our discussions.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by phontanka Wed May 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Quork, I think I'm Hungarian... Wink
phontanka
phontanka

http://phontanka.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Wed May 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Oh right, my mistake, sorry!
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by phontanka Wed May 09, 2012 10:32 pm

No problem. But I think Gothpaladinus is reading this thread too.
phontanka
phontanka

http://phontanka.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Wed May 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Do excuse us islanders, we're rubbish at geography. Some of 'em never go beyond the confines of the M25 round London, except to fly to places they never heard of to get drunk and sunburnt for two weeks every year. Very Happy And we're rubbish at other languages too!
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris [CT1660] Wed May 09, 2012 11:43 pm

Well, if those who aren't familiar with computers and just want to get OpenBVE running, i can make an easy installer for Mac and Windows besides provide the zip files.

I still like the idea about the main program, OpenBVE being hosted on a google sites page.

I have set up an unofficial page, which pretty much has all the downloads. and here it is once again:

https://sites.google.com/site/openbvesim/home

graymac wrote:
Perhaps the documents being available in on offline format like a pdf file would be good as well.

That would be my preferred method of delivery, Andy. It would take quite a bit of work to produce a good quality publication from the online material. It needs to be done in conjunction with any delivery system that is implemented, to ensure accuracy and clarity for the user. As for delivery systems, the more idiot-proof it can be made then the less trouble there will be for all concerned.

Another point, really the 'managed content' part of the program needs to be removed, if it is not replaced with a working alternative. Or else we distribute v. 1.2.14.0 , the last prior to managed content introduction, at least as an interim measure.

i may be able to convert the files into .pdf format so that it can be available as an offline copy.

Chris [CT1660]

Back to top Go down

Post by Dj Hammers Thu May 10, 2012 3:38 am

Some news....

I received a message from the developer of Frets on Fire X (An open-source version of Rock Band), and he wishes to help out with the development of OpenBVE. Seems like we have people coming out of the woodwork to help out!
Dj Hammers
Dj Hammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dj Hammers Thu May 10, 2012 4:24 am

Even MORE news.....

We put up a download page, the first part of what we hope to become a replacement for trainsimframework.org:
https://sites.google.com/site/openbvesim/customization
It still needs a little TLC, and a domain name (which is being done as we speak).

Also, developer documentation is being put back up in a wiki format here: http://wiki.bvestation.com/index.php
We have just begun populating it, if people could contribute to it, it would be greatly appreciated.
Dj Hammers
Dj Hammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Damian John Wit Thu May 10, 2012 5:05 am

I was a member of the Openbve forums, and I've great interest and experience in running trains/train physics. Eventhough I'm a newb at train programming, I'd want to be of any help possible towards the continuation of Openbve

Damian John Wit

Back to top Go down

Post by ecreek Thu May 10, 2012 5:10 am

Some of the old forum can be retrieved here -
http://web.archive.org/web/20101003103012/http://openbve.freeforums.org/

ecreek

Back to top Go down

Post by Damian John Wit Thu May 10, 2012 5:16 am

ecreek wrote:Some of the old forum can be retrieved here -
http://web.archive.org/web/20101003103012/http://openbve.freeforums.org/

I don't think this link would be of any use because it says the sub forums are not archived in web.archive.org.

Damian John Wit

Back to top Go down

Post by ecreek Thu May 10, 2012 6:39 am

Translations and source code are - not much I know. Maybe there is some other way to retrieve the forum?

ecreek

Back to top Go down

Post by Damian John Wit Thu May 10, 2012 7:17 am

Deleted

Last edited by pittiraghu on Thu May 10, 2012 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Damian John Wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 9:17 am

I was trying to retrieve one of Michelle's thread: http://openbve.freeforums.org/a-scripting-language-as-an-alternative-to-train-plugins-t2463.html , did anyone remember this and saved it anyhow?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gothpaladinus Thu May 10, 2012 11:12 am

Quork wrote:Did somebody already contact the hungarian scene? Namely Gothpaladinus? Seems noone of them is round here, but being a very active scene we should include them in our discussions.
Hi all,

Yes, Quork, I'm ofc already reading this forum, have just registered too. No doubt this forum is now one of the biggest forums collecting all the people who were able to contact with on the openBVE official discussion board, therefore I may not skip the events that are running here. In Hungary I was the first person who informed the Hungarian BVErs about the discontinuation of openBVE by Michelle and I was also the first who found this forum too, so Phontanka probably has also got here after my announcement that now we should continue talking about the future of the simulator worldwide.

I'm also sad about losing your ability of contacting the author of the PZB/LZB plugin - that could have made our (and of course, Lorenzo's, as he made the new RJ car objects) simulated RailJet's control far more realistic too, and could have given a new chance of the German/Austrian BVE development's return. Let us hope that the plugin's maker will also find this forum soon and register here.

Finally, I would also like to say thank you to Michelle for the four years and 27 days of the development of openBVE - it was really needed for all of us to still keep our eyes on the world of BVE - without the born of it probably hardly anybody would still develop for it, as BVE 2/4 is highly outdated, and BVE 5.2 is a bit embarassing by the forcing of use X objects to make people lose their abilities of modifying the legacy BVE models...
Gothpaladinus
Gothpaladinus

https://gothpaladinus.wixsite.com/gothpaladinusbve

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Thu May 10, 2012 1:49 pm

Timon already found this board and contacted me, so the PZB plugin (LZB isn't in the making, at least yet) is neither lost nor dead =)
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Gothpaladinus Thu May 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Oh, it's all right then. Smile
Gothpaladinus
Gothpaladinus

https://gothpaladinus.wixsite.com/gothpaladinusbve

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris [CT1660] Thu May 10, 2012 2:14 pm

As of last night, we have set up a domain, so now users can type in www.openbve.org

Figures, it is best to have the domain name simply openbve.org, instead of trainsimframework.org

Chris [CT1660]

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Thu May 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Nice, time to update bookmarks then. Smile
Maybe you should put BVE WorldWide as the discussion place...? I would make adjustments in the current forum structure (create suggestions and feedback subforums, etc.)
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall Thu May 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Were getting ahead of ourselves here. Odakyufan has already stated he wants no part in any fork, lets leave it to him to be the new developer of what was openbve. He has already stated you cannot use the name openbve if your creating any kind of fork....
mrknowitall
mrknowitall

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Thu May 10, 2012 2:50 pm

And @ Derryck - I rather think, this board should stay focused on content devs, experienced users and, if, what I hope, Odakyufan decides for a open development with a greater team, program devs, while the support forum should be separate. Only a feeling though, can't tell exactly why...
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next