BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unable to Load TTC Trains & Routes in OpenBVE for Mac (screen recording included)

2 posters

Go down

Unable to Load TTC Trains & Routes in OpenBVE for Mac (screen recording included) Empty Unable to Load TTC Trains & Routes in OpenBVE for Mac (screen recording included)

Post by TTCrocket Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:33 pm

Hi everyone.

I recently installed OpenBVE on my Mac and have been able to install and run a few NYCT trains and routes without any issues.  However, I tried installing the TTC YUS and BD trains and routes earlier this week and have been unable to get them to load properly.  I've uploaded a screen recording to show what's happening.  As you can see in the recording, the NYCT train/route loads just fine, but when I try loading a TTC train/route, OpenBVE seems to crash, quickly cycles through some of the OpenBVE menus, then finally returns to the "Start New Game" menu.

I have created a screen recording of this issue as it happens, but unfortunately as a new forum member I am not yet allowed to post external links.  I have, however, included a screen capture to show how I have the TTC files arranged in my OpenBVE LegacyContent folder.  Perhaps there's an issue with how I've copied the TTC files into the Train and Railway folders.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help!

Unable to Load TTC Trains & Routes in OpenBVE for Mac (screen recording included) Openbv11

TTCrocket

Back to top Go down

Unable to Load TTC Trains & Routes in OpenBVE for Mac (screen recording included) Empty Re: Unable to Load TTC Trains & Routes in OpenBVE for Mac (screen recording included)

Post by leezer3 Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:51 pm

Are you using the default train?

The plugin for at least some of the TTC trains has been hacked around to provide 'multiplayer', and this is broken.
(TLDR: They're using a bunch of non thread-safe stuff and some Windows only hacks....)

If changing the train doesn't help, click on the link in the bottom left of the main menu entitled 'Report Problem'

The log file here will tell us if you're missing the objects, and if it crashed, the crash log will hopefully let me see where this happened.

I'll try and test these routes on Windows / a Mac VM too and see if I can reproduce anything, but the log files will be of the most help at the minute Smile

Edit: 
To post the link, you should just be able to leave off the http:// Smile

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Unable to Load TTC Trains & Routes in OpenBVE for Mac (screen recording included) Empty Re: Unable to Load TTC Trains & Routes in OpenBVE for Mac (screen recording included)

Post by TTCrocket Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:19 am

Thanks for the info, leezer3. 

Out of curiosity, I tried loading a NYCT route with a TTC train, however that didn't work and I ran into the same issue as shown in the screen recording.  However, I was able to load the TTC routes with a NYCT train, so I'm guessing the issue is somehow related to the train configuration and not the route configuration.

TTCrocket

Back to top Go down

Post by TTCrocket Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:24 am

Also, here's a link to the screen recording that shows the issue I'm running into when I try loading a TTC route and train.  As you can see, I can load a NYCT route and train just fine.  The problem occurs when I try loading a TTC train and route.

dropbox.com/s/hjwow8b0lr9acwb/OPENBVE2.mov?dl=0

TTCrocket

Back to top Go down

Post by TTCrocket Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:57 am

To update my original message, it turns out that I am able to open the TTC routes and trains just fine using OpenBVE for Mac v1.4.2.  I was previously using v1.5.2.3, so perhaps there are some incompatibilities or bugs in the newer version of OpenBVE that are preventing the TTC routes from loading properly.

TTCrocket

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:34 am

That's correct, as I noted above, the TTC train is incompatible with the current versions of openBVE.

When it crashes, the plugin is attempting to popup a web-browser based login form for the 'TTC Online Academy'

The issue is entirely theirs- The web-browser component they are attempting to use must be spawned on the main thread of a Windows Forms container.
Additionally, they're attempting to download sounds on the fly from their server in a way that's highly likely to cause issues....

It previously worked (Although the plugin documentation notes that all plugins should support multi-threaded situations), as 1.4.3 is actually totally single-threaded.

https://github.com/leezer3/OpenBVE/issues/85

I can't fix this from my end (other than blacklisting the plugin), and they need to correct their plugin code.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:46 am

This build should handle things a little better:
https://vps.bvecornwall.co.uk/OpenBVE/Builds/OpenBVE-2017-12-05.dmg

Whilst the plugin still fails to load, it no longer takes down the program.

All features supported by the plugin will not work (Have not investigated what these are), but the basic train/ panel will/

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by TTCrocket Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:21 pm

To update my original message, I downgraded to OpenBVE for Mac v1.4.2, and all of the TTC trains and routes are working just fine.  Out of curiosity, is v1.5.2.3 considered a beta version, or should it be, in theory, a fully functioning version?

TTCrocket

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Fully functional Smile

The issue is 100% caused by bad (non thread-safe) coding in the TTC plugin.
I cannot fix this from my end, they need to do it themselves.

If they want, I'm happy to work with them to get this working officially, but I'm not breaking the multi-threading just to accomodate one badly coded plugin.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down