BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Route WIP

+10
thehoviskid
leezer3
rick1984
Sausage Muncher
Northern Line
mobile1
Quork
theflyingoreo
graymac
MattD6R
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New Route WIP Empty New Route WIP

Post by MattD6R Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:01 pm

I have been currently working on a narrow gauge (1067mm) route for Openbve based on a railway in the Brisbane area of Queensland, Australia. This is not the first route I have made but it is the first route that uses objects I have built myself or based on others people objects. My first attempt about 2 years ago was after I read half of Dennis's tutorials, but it only contains track and signals and I didn't do any object building. However this year I went through Dennis's tutorial again but right through to the end and as a result I have built some objects for my route.

My route is currently based on a local real route as I think this may be easier than a fictional route. This is because unless I do some research I am not familiar with much of the rail network here as I have only travelled a small part of the network. So I am deciding whether to make this a completely fictional route or partly fictional but based on the real railways. Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated.

So far I have laid narrow gauge track for first km which uses my own textures, added points (produced by TrackGen) and canted curves using Object Bender. I have built objects for AWS, signals, a station platform and some signs.

I do hope that I may add to the route content available. Even though this will not add to UK routes, railways here are quite similar in many ways, particularly with signalling and AWS. Most textures will be derived from google maps and online images except for some images of my own. As long I can find suitable images so that I create textures and have the time available then I should be able to produce a route of interest.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

New Route WIP Empty Re: New Route WIP

Post by graymac Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:03 pm

Best of luck with the project, Matt. My take is that fictional routes are less problematic, if only to silence the nit-pickers who might crawl out of the woodwork to moan about inaccuracies or whatever. You can base your route on real examples, without making it absolutely true.
Incidentally, I'm working on a real (albeit long-closed) route right now, and it's definitely harder than making it up!
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by theflyingoreo Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:58 pm

Good to see another Aussie here. I'm creating a route from Sydney NSW.

Best of luck

theflyingoreo

https://www.facebook.com/sydneybve

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:16 pm

Thanks for the replies.

graymac thanks for your opinion with fictional routes. I hadn't thought of the nit-pickers which I hope there are not too many with the very few developers we have here. As I mentioned before I was thinking as I not fully familiar with our network I was thinking to base it on the real route and but not to every little detail. So track distances, station names, curves would be non fictional while buildings, terrain and so on will be not true based on what textures I can get as most textures will be derived from online images. I not sure if I am up to making it 100 per cent fictional and with thinking of all the ideas needed to make it look realistic and also thinking of station names. With my route I am up to the point of adding details like fences, buildings and so on and I will need to decide between doing it as a fictional and non fictional route.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:45 pm

Well, that's a, hum, what's the English idiom for that...? You'd say "double-edged sword" in e.g. German or Polish. Well: On one hand, real routes bring the risk of nitpickers. On the other hand however, you need way more (and more profound) knowledge about railway rules, laws and regulations, and also about the "logistics" of railways. While the latter is no big deal to people, who have played "Railroad Tycoon" and the likes, the former thing requires much reading and discussing. I don't know virtually anything about Australian railways, so I can't tell you how good or bad access is to official regulations. In Europe, due to EU rules forcing the market to be open for private railways, regulations usually are widely accessible (you can find in-depth information e.g. on the websites of British Network Rail or German DB Netz). Abroad, especially in not very democratic countries, railway regulations are often considered military grade information and thus kept away from the general public...
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:01 pm

In this state of Australia, there is very little official publically available rules and regulations. There is regularly updated track maps showing station, bridge and level crossing distances and track layouts and also some general other details. So this route will based on what I have seen but using the railways here as a guide and making the rest up as I see fit would be (as I see this) easier than thinking it all up and making it completely fictional.  This is my first serious route I am building so I am certainty not an expert on how this should be done.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Basing off existing layouts definitely is a good way. Good luck, Matt!
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by mobile1 Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi Matt, as one that has only produced real routes, ( sort of) but do not have any problems with fictional routes, I make it clear from the start that my routes are produced for my enjoyment , i do not care what others think and neither should you, by all means revell in the pleasure you may give to others running your routes but leave it at that. If you need help or encouragement please feel free to ask me or my uncle graymac...
mobile1
mobile1

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:06 pm

Thanks. I think as I have said I will base this off the track layouts, curves (with many tight curves), station names and distances and the rest will be fictional and not to every little detail compared to the real thing. And yes this is certainty my route and it will be done how I feel and I am not concerned  if people don't like it.  Of course I will be consider feedback as long as the route remains realistic but that is up to me. If I need some help or encouragement I will be ask. At the moment the route is proceeding well. I just wanted to decide on which way to take this route before I get into the route too much and waste effort on a route I might change my mind on before I am sure what to do. I will post a few screenshots and I have noticed that uploading images are not an option here so does that means I need to use some external hosting.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:46 am

......... and I have noticed that uploading images are not an option here so does that means I need to use some external hosting.

I've generally linked to screenies posted on my celtictrainsim Facebook page, works for me.
As a general rule, I design a route to be about 25 mins duration minimum and have enough stops, speed limits and such to make a bit of work for the player. The excellent NWM routes set the standard for that, with diagrams for different length journeys, local or express.
I recommend scribbling a plan on paper before starting to commit anything to the routefile. Can save time and mistakes later! Obviously, building a "real" route I know the distances and curves from the map. With a "fictional" I need to create the map first. At least, that's how I approach it, though everyone has their own methods.
Again, good luck!
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:11 pm

I not a fan of Facebook, but I'll use some image hosting for images which I have look into. With the route I made from my first attempt 2 years ago I already have a 12 km bare bone route which was all measured from Google Earth which was entered into excel. And so this route is being based on that attempt. The technical aspects of the route building is what I am good at. The route won't be boring with closely spaced stations, steep gradients, tight curves (remembering this is narrow gauge), frequent speed changes and several level crossings. It travels 12 km taking 24 minutes, then another 10 minutes through the busy central part of the network for a few more kilometres where it will end for the moment, a distance of 16km.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:01 pm

Here are some screenshots of what I have done so far. More pics can be seen at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ppfulzarwp7hdwj/AACoAVFu9ncN-HO3WYsI814Sa?dl=0 The screenshots came out to 500kb each which I thought was too high. I did get that down to around 100kb each but they don't look quite as nice.

New Route WIP Signalling%20after%20%20Ferny%20Grove

New Route WIP Ferny%20Grove%20platform

Last edited by MattD6R on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:11 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : updated images)

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Northern Line Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:08 pm

Excellent work there Matt Smile,
May I ask, are the signalling objects and buffer created entirely by hand?

Regards,
Northern Line
Northern Line

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks. Most objects have been done by hand by which I mean NotePad++ and Route Viewer or Object Viewer. Almost every texture I have created myself because I want this route to be unique and not just copy other routes. The Buffer is based off a few photos and is done by hand. The Signal heads are based off the NWM signals but heavily modified. The rest of the signals (post, ladder, mesh, frame) were created by hand myself based off images but with some measurements obtained from NWM signals. I have sorted out the issue with the images and I have uploaded new images.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:07 pm

Work continues on the route with the platform and ramps at the first station now complete. The next details to add is the station building over the end of the line and the large car park surrounding the station but most likely only with limited details.

New Route WIP Ferny%20Grove%20station%20platform%20complete

New Route WIP Ferny%20Grove%20from%20end%20of%20line

New Route WIP Ferny%20Grove%20platform%202

Last edited by MattD6R on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed image links)

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Sausage Muncher Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:40 am

Are there any screens to this project? I saw many projects promised and not finished...

Sausage Muncher

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:27 am

If you mean screenshots, I have posted some screenshots in this thread. I not promising this route will be available or completed. This route is being developed without guarantees and the like and is being done for my enjoyment. I am showing what progress I am making and I will see how it goes in addition to what I have already said in this thread.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:55 pm

Sausage Muncher wrote:Are there any screens to this project? I saw many projects promised and not finished...
And your OpenBVE contribution references giving you the right to judge that are...?
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:19 pm

Sausage Muncher wrote:Are there any screens to this project? I saw many projects promised and not finished...
There was a Dropbox link to some basic screen shots in an earlier posting - obviously with much still to do because building any half-decent route is quite a lot of work.

There ARE indeed many"projects" that have been "started and not finished", that much is true.
Of all these, thinking of the past 3 or 4 years as I remember (no names, no "pack drill" Rolling Eyes ), some people make a reasonable effort, some totally underestimate the time and skills needed before giving up and some are "all mouth and trousers" and haven't a clue how do do the job even before bragging about why their upcoming blockbuster is going to be the ultimate experience etc. etc.......
But I wouldn't want to put anyone off trying, as long as it's a genuine attempt, even though far too few seem to have succeeded in giving us something new to play with for quite a while. Everyone, give any "newbies" a fair chance, everyone deserves a crack at it.
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sausage Muncher Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:15 pm

@Quork: I have no idea what you are talking about, pal. I am just a regular user that is asking aboutscreenshots from the route. When I clicked the dropbox link, I got a popup to sign in, so... The sentence " I saw many projects promised and not finished..." is not a judgement, it is a statement of fact. Or am I not allowed to ask a question to the topic?
@graymac: I do not mean to offend anyone, I was just curious about the project. That's it... I do not have an ambition to create anything, not for now at least. I am just a regular user asking questions. If I was to build anything, I would have to learn everything from scratch.
@'MattD6R: Thank you for the answer, kind Sir. In fact, you were the only person I was expecting to get a reply from, but there we go... Laughing

Sausage Muncher

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:06 am

The dropbox link should work and no one has said that the images can't be viewed. Unless you click on the "sign In" button at the top right corner you should see a gallery of images. But thanks for the interest.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:45 am

The station building over the end of the line is now done which was made as a single object.

New Route WIP 2015_016_Ferny%20Grove%20station%20building

New Route WIP 2015_015_Ferny%20Grove%20station%20building

New Route WIP 2015_019_Ferny%20Grove%20station%20building

New Route WIP 2015_018_Ferny%20Grove%20station%20building

New Route WIP 2015_017_Ferny%20Grove%20station%20building

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:07 pm

Holy cow, that's some great work!
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1984 Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:57 pm

Impressive. Looking a worthy addition to OpenBVE

rick1984

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:39 am

Some more work has been done on the route at the first station with the car park on one side and a level crossing after the station platform finished. Thanks to Chris for the Cylinder generator for the poles used on the level crossing. Animation with flashing lights and lowering boom gates has been added to this crossing with the code adopted from graymac's crossings, if you don't mind.

It is not working prototypically in two ways but I not sure if the animation can made to work prototypically.

The lights should stop flashing once the barrier reaches the vertical after the train passes which didn't before I altered it. I have set the lights to stop flashing at a later distance than when the gates goes up. However at different line speeds that approach won't work, unless I can set a delay of x number of seconds.

The gates should go down just before departure time with the signal clearing after the gates go down. Currently I have set a distance which is more than the distance from the stop position of the first station to the crossing. If the signal is on red and it is time to depart the gates don't go down until the signal clears with the signal clearing after the boom gates of the crossing goes down. Similarly there will be some signals on the route just before a level crossing where you may be held by a red with the level crossing barrier not going down as the train approaches the crossing.

However I not sure if this is possible but I not knowledgeable enough about animated format to know if this is possible.

New Route WIP 2015_020_Ferny_Grove_carpark_south

New Route WIP 2015_021_Ferny_Grove_carpark_south_2

New Route WIP 2015_022_Ferny_Grove_level_crossing_1

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next