BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Victoria line V5 [WIP]

+8
atimur
devilreborn
Northern Line
Dexter
jack123
Ad1992
graymac
Greater Anglia Metro
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Victoria line V5 [WIP] Empty Victoria line V5 [WIP]

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:40 am

Hi all,

When Dan Lewis uploaded his Central line demo it reminded me of what I enjoyed about BVE, I used to be part of a small group, consisting of about 4 developers that would, in whatever we do, push the boundaries of what was possible on London Underground routes. Dans Central has pushed London Underground in BVE further than it has ever gone before, and I wanted in on the action!

We spoke for a few days about what could be done, and I chose to [originally] finish off the last couple of stops of Dan Floyds Victoria line.

Unsuprisingly this has now turned into a much larger project, and as such will probably take much longer to finish. One thing I have decided after my previous developing experience is that this route will not be released until the entire line is finished. Although if I decide to stop developing for any reason, as has happened before with my work, it will be uploaded as-is so any developers can start where I left off if they so wish.

The Victoria line for OpenBVE will include;

• The full route from Walthamstow Central to Brixton, and return
  • "Short trips" into sidings along the route
  • Reversing move via Northumberland Park Depot reception roads
  • Randomized platform allocation at Walthamstow, Brixton and others
  • Randomized siding allocation at appropriate locations
  • Curved tunnels to match curved rails
  • A new rail set with measurements taken from real LUL 4 rail track
  • Photorealisatic textures like on the Central and Jubilee lines.
  • Adverts at stations are picked at random from over 40 different posters
  • Animated train objects traveling in the other direction at appropriate locations
  • Re-engineered station shape to be true to the Victoria line design
  • Altered station length to accommodate possible future train exteriors.
  • Possibility of ATO [Thanks to the Lewis brothers]

Victoria line V5 [WIP] 14271077268_172f07e66b_o
This curve is far tighter than any in real life, but shows the tunnel curve well, previously the tunnel would have been one straight section for the entire length of the object. Possibly better viewed on black/
curved-tunnel-1 by JPG-Photography, on Flickr

Victoria line V5 [WIP] 14434571106_fe11dc4fc4_o
Stockwell southbound, showing the altered shape of the station, high quality photorealistic textures and the randomized adverts track-side.
Stockwell-1 by JPG-Photography, on Flickr

Victoria line V5 [WIP] 14456559464_360943e243_o
Approach to Stockwell southbound
Stockwell-2 by JPG-Photography, on Flickr

Victoria line V5 [WIP] 14271077320_81935fbf88_o
Victoria No. 22 siding with inspection pit. Pathing will be randomized between 22 and 23 siding when terminating at Victoria. Objects from Dan Lewis' Central line.
Victoria sidings-1 by JPG-Photography, on Flickr

Last edited by Greater Anglia Metro on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Victoria line V5 [WIP] Empty Re: Victoria line V5 [WIP]

Post by graymac Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:01 pm

Very promising work, it is always good to see new work in progress.
Your comment about being motivated by what Dan has done is probably true for all of us. In this respect your speciality (LU routes), just the same as the mainstream works, benefits when several makers are turning out quality work.
There's much to gain from a bit of healthy "competition" - we have plenty of that as well as a lot of mutual help and support too.

Good luck, and do keep up the good work.

Last edited by graymac on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ad1992 Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Oh dear I better post an update as well then.  Very Happy

That is taking shape nicely.
Ad1992
Ad1992

http://bvewesternregion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by jack123 Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Looks great! The Vic is by far my fav line and loving stockwell! My  favourite station aswell Smile can I ask will this be set in the 67 stock era or the 09 stock era (current day).
Those signals look like the new ultra bright LED signals on the Victoria line at the moment, would be so cool to replicate their behavior (station starter remaining at red until the train has stopped)! But looks fantastic and so pleased this is being continued! Just wasn't the same terminating at Vauxhall Wink

jack123

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:44 pm

I was planning on making it in the transition period, so both the 1967 and the 2009 tube stock can be used.
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 am

Greater Anglia Metro wrote:When Dan Lewis uploaded his Central line demo it reminded me of what I enjoyed about BVE.

I have edited this thread to avoid stirring up another conflict. Even if I understand every story has (at least) two versions, this forum will be a much happier place without returning to old events, that are a thing of the past. Trust me, I have probably been involved much more than I would have liked. I have quoted your sentence on purpose. It exactly says what we are trying to do here - enjoy our hobby, give something good to the others, and eventually receive something in return. I think we should all stick to that.
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Whilst I feel half the post is wasted due to not having the other half, I see your point and at the end of the day it's your forum!

I just thought the reason for me not developing for the last few years needed to be stated alongside the reason for me getting back developing !
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:19 pm

This forum is not mine, it belongs to everyone. Smile  My job is just to try and maintain harmony and good direction.  Cool 
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Victoria line V5 [WIP] 14593643424_c148d4983a_o
High resolution tunnel light.
Light-1 by JPG-Photography, on Flickr

I haven't been able to do much lately, but I am still moving on steadily. I started that light at about 8AM and had finished by 1. I wouldn't normally spend so long on something so small, but considering it gets re-produced every 13m for most of the route, I thought I should make sure it looks good.

I'm remaking track and tunnels as on Underground routes there really isn't much to look at between stations. People have said to me in the past that it would be a waste of time to make high res/quality tunnels as it would put too much strain on computers, but having thought about it, I doubt it. Underground routes have no trees, bushes, bridges, towns and rarely a passing train.

Thoughts?
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:40 pm

I think you are right, pretty much all you can do in tunnels is the track itself, some cabling and maybe a high def texture of the tunnel interior. Therefore, if an object is destined for the tunnel, why not have it in high res...?
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by Northern Line Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:44 am

Greater Anglia Metro wrote:I'm remaking track and tunnels as on Underground routes there really isn't much to look at between stations. 

By that do you mean a 3D tunnel which includes the curves on the cast iron sides with 3D tracks? or just a high res texture on the vertex?
Northern Line
Northern Line

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Been working on junctions recently (hence the tunnel lights).

Victoria line V5 [WIP] 14579772227_97f072827e_o
Brixton-Xover-2 by JPG-Photography, on Flickr

Victoria line V5 [WIP] 14766231725_f9d85d2898_o
Brixton-Xover-1 by JPG-Photography, on Flickr

Victoria line V5 [WIP] 14763057471_df2e3a2217_o
Seven-Sisters-Junction-1 by JPG-Photography, on Flickr

The more observant of you will notice the start of Brixton station past the crossover, and that at Seven Sisters the junction (Still WIP) is the correct design, with multiple size sections getting smaller as the tracks join. In the past it's not been as accurately done as this, with the two tunnels simply merging.
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:12 am

Victoria line V5 [WIP] 14781488384_a35555baa6_o
Sand drags at Northumberland Park Depot's exit, to stop runaways on the 1 in 43 gradient ending up on the mainline. There is another sand drag before joining the main line.
NPD-drag by JPG-Photography, on Flickr

Victoria line V5 [WIP] 14597181189_ecb9498f36_o
Crossover just after the sand drag. 
NPD-Xover-1 by JPG-Photography, on Flickr

Excluding the track, apart from the sand and red light in the drags there is only one object for every 25m block, all of them have been made fully 3D from all angles meaning it is now a doddle to set up the return working and random routing (You can come from any number of reception roads into this part of the depot, and end up on either side)

And in case anyone was wondering about the large gap between the walls and the roof, it's not a tunnel, it's a snow cover!

Last edited by Greater Anglia Metro on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by devilreborn Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:30 am

I believe the bright 'streaks' on the tunnel wall is too dim / yellowish than what it should be (judging from the brightness of the tunnel lights), imo.
Other than that, very nice WIP. Very Happy

P.S. It makes me wonder how exactly are you going to make animated trains in the opposite direction Question
devilreborn
devilreborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:50 am

Yes that texture still needs work, if you look at the screenshot of Seven Sisters junction you will also see it repeats itself far too often, and aren't even lined up.

With the Victoria line entirely in tunnel apart from the depot, there are limited places you can see passing trains, but where appropriate they will be made the same way as all other passing trains...
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by devilreborn Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:52 am

Greater Anglia Metro wrote:Yes that texture still needs work, if you look at the screenshot of Seven Sisters junction you will also see it repeats itself far too often, and aren't even lined up.

With the Victoria line entirely in tunnel apart from the depot, there are limited places you can see passing trains, but where appropriate they will be made the same way as all other passing trains...

What I mean is, how exactly is the .animated files being coded? For example, will the opposite train object appear in a fixed time period in a specific location? Or is the objected coded in a way so that it will always appear when the player's train approaches a certain location in the route? Even better, an animated GIF texture with a moving train on it (just kidding Laughing )

Nevertheless, the underground / dual-tunnel nature of Victoria line would make it rather easy to put in animated trains as they can only be observed at limited locations along the route. The reason that these objects intrigue me so much is that I have seen developers add animated trains running in the opposite direction that can (automatically) stop at a station and open / close the doors, in a route that is >90% aboveground. To this date I still haven't figured out how to do that...
devilreborn
devilreborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:14 am

A few years ago when I was working on the Jubilee I made a simple object that traveled in a straight line, I was intending to do this again, although if there is a different method that works better I'll look into that.
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:38 am

I was about to start work on this again, after a break due to work commitments. Is there much point now there is another Victoria line on the go? 

I could do something useful like finish the Jubilee or re-do the Bakerloo?
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by atimur Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:12 pm

I think it worth continuing, it's a good start anyway. So don't mind if there'll be several Victoria lines released, well, if the other will ever be finished.

Also finishing some stuff is normally easier, especially compared to, say, trying to release Vic line while remaking Bakerloo

atimur

Back to top Go down

Post by 1996 stock stalker Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:13 am

Greater Anglia Metro wrote:I was about to start work on this again, after a break due to work commitments. Is there much point now there is another Victoria line on the go? 

+1 Jubilee

1996 stock stalker

Back to top Go down

Post by HEELShingster Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:24 pm

Greater Anglia Metro wrote:I was about to start work on this again, after a break due to work commitments. Is there much point now there is another Victoria line on the go? 

You definitely should continue developing the Victoria Line!! The other Victoria Line WIP is from what I've heard no longer developing, your Victoria Line has made the most progress and the existing line desperately needs a new revamp! I think it'll be a waste if you just stop developing this.

I've been making sound/announcements improvements on the existing Victoria Line with the 2009 Stock announcements instead of the old 1967 stock announcements - happy to give you these when and if needed.

HEELShingster

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainlane453 Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:19 pm

Is it finished Shocked tongue
Trainlane453
Trainlane453

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:32 am

All,

Development on this has not stopped totally. 

A lot of leg work is going into an as-yet unannounced project, this has been taking up a lot of time and money over the last 9 months or so.

Current thoughts with the Victoria line are to finish off Stockwell and Brixton, and then release a beta version with Northumberland Park - Brixton and Walthamstow Central - Brixton.

Things have started to pick up on the Jubilee line too. Due to the amount of people and projects there have been the entire route was in a complete mess. This is being sorted (slowly) into a framework that will eventually make it easy for the whole route to be done. Track work is currently complete from Stanmore to Kingsbury, Finchley Road to Charing Cross and Finchley Road to Canning Town.

Unfortunately, whilst I can't yet speak about the main project I am working on, and there are no updates on the Victoria line, there isn't much to show you. However, I can show you this: https://www.instagram.com/p/300ndIAaF3/
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:58 pm

A couple of shots of the (unfinished) Brixton platform 2. I will be modelling both platforms and routing will be randomised between the two, so you won't know what way you will be going at the crossover until the signal clears.

Victoria line V5 [WIP] 12787163_1137114202996199_372251938_o

Victoria line V5 [WIP] 12773098_1137923882915231_1795094359_o

I am aware that the sign in the second picture has the wrong dimensions - this has since been fixed whilst inserting the rest of the signs on this platform.
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by Northern Line Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:05 am

I also noticed the reflection of the LED Headlights of the 2009TS in the first image, Good job so far

Regards,
Northern Line
Northern Line

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next