BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

do you wish you could have done things differently?

+3
Dexter
RWremote
mrknowitall
7 posters

Go down

do you wish you could have done things differently? Empty do you wish you could have done things differently?

Post by mrknowitall Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:04 am

like what was wanted from a previous post. If you could of changed something in respect to the sim & how u approached it, how?
mrknowitall
mrknowitall

Back to top Go down

do you wish you could have done things differently? Empty Re: do you wish you could have done things differently?

Post by RWremote Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:09 pm

I presume that this is aimed squarely at developers (objects, routes, trains, utility etc) ?
As such, it appears a leading/goading question to put it bluntly.
Surely this will just serve to fan the flames of heated debate again ?
RWremote
RWremote

Back to top Go down

do you wish you could have done things differently? Empty Re: do you wish you could have done things differently?

Post by Dexter Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:57 pm

The question is quite clear I'd say... so if anybody has a need to conduct any personal fights here, I will be ready to erase the post as it will be off-topic... see if somebody is also able to criticise himself, not only others. Very Happy
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:08 pm

i didn't mean for the "aim" of the post to be so. I mean is there some work that you have made and thought, well maybe if i listened to "example A" and done the work to their spec would of my work had any improvement by it?

or if there was a route that you released and thought, infact if i would have put a more of an incline to "example B" section and then really worked on "example C" section i would have seen a improvement of the D/L rates.

its not for me to say who flames who, its their choice to do so, and such comments im sure will be removed from the thread.

if you would liike to say i really wish i could build bridges with "example D" person i wish i could. and then give an explanation. because then you are not slandering nor abusing the said example. but if you want to comment as such about another person, i see it as oh him from so and so. no direct names.

hope you understand the thread more now Smile

Last edited by mrknowitall on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : miss quoted)
mrknowitall
mrknowitall

Back to top Go down

Post by wheeltapper Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:19 pm

I wish sometimes I spent more time planning a project because with a bit more thought beforehand there might not have been so many problem bits later. PC is great, but a quiet hour or two with a notepad and pen works wonders.

And a nice quotation from Tom Lehrer (look him up!):
I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!

wheeltapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwijiboenator Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:28 pm

I wish I knew how to index before starting my route...soooo much space could have been saved by this point already. But as long as I start doing that from this point onwards...
kwijiboenator
kwijiboenator

Back to top Go down

Post by wheeltapper Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:51 pm

That's one area where a bit of study (of other good routes) and planning really pays off. Especially when you come to adding stuff later. It can turn into a nightmare.
You won't see this in Dennis's book, because it wasn't applicable to Bve4, but consider using a common list of With Track items, referenced using the $Include syntax. It isn't as complicated as it looks, go to OBVE dev guidelines for details. It makes it a bit easier to keep track of, and add new objs as there need only be one list. A look at NWM code will show you how $Include can be used, too.

wheeltapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Egg Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:18 am

wheeltapper wrote:PC is great, but a quiet hour or two with a notepad and pen works wonders.
Agreed. I used to have a half hour bus journey to work, and the same back. Whether designing programs or electronic circuits, the notepad and pencil technique, with no distractions, focused the mind nicely.
Oh, and of course I also had a well-worn eraser...

Egg

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Egg wrote:Agreed. I used to have a half hour bus journey to work, and the same back. Whether designing programs or electronic circuits, the notepad and pencil technique, with no distractions, focused the mind nicely.
Oh, and of course I also had a well-worn eraser...

Ah yes, the eraser times, classic! Well, as for me, I sometimes wish I had more time... I think this is a common problem that everyone encounters on a daily basis...
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:49 pm

And as for my own work... well, I would definitely like to make a different panto for my electric locos, as the current one is a bit ridiculous. Very Happy I have been told that many times, but never forced myself to change them... my shame... Embarassed pig Smile
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by velaro Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Regarding the process of developing, I should have spent more time on smaller projects, gaining experience, before starting to upgrade the Sandymill - there are many things that I did in a needlessly time-consuming way or had to undo later because I did not know what I was doing initially.
velaro
velaro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down