BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

openBVE data output possible?

2 posters

Go down

openBVE data output possible? Empty openBVE data output possible?

Post by ghenghis Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 am

Hi everyone,

Currently I'm working on an arduino based controller for train sims, to have a little exercise in both soft- and hardware creation.  As this is currently only an -input- device(let's make things simple), I started wondering: can openBVE -output- data as well? Could it be possible to output some data in order to work some gauges, or will I have to rely on "remembered" states in an stand-alone controller? If such thing is possible, has there been any info/tuts regarding this?

Thoughts, anyone?  Shocked

ghenghis

Back to top Go down

openBVE data output possible? Empty Re: openBVE data output possible?

Post by leezer3 Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:29 pm

How did you want the data?

The 'easy' answer would be to implement a Runtime train plugin and let that communicate with the Arduino:
https://openbve-project.net/documentation/HTML/plugin_overview.html

Other than that, most data is relatively easily accessible within the main source tree, and it's relatively trivial to push out variables if the required data format is known.
To give you a better answer, we really need more details on what data you want, and how you want it.

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ghenghis Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:08 am

Let's start simple - output train speed(send the value to arduino through serial?).  Then I guess some HUD info could be outputed as well as AWS, etc... I had in mind to just use arduino as HID device and use keyboard key presses as an input as this was the simplest solution. That was the workaround for me not being proficient in .net(i suppose one cannot use python/java and some wrapper to create content for openBVE Sad, so hello tutorialspoint, my old friend).

ghenghis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down