BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thank you Graymac!

3 posters

Go down

Thank you Graymac! Empty Thank you Graymac!

Post by james143611 Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Well, I finally dived into the Objects Building Guide for eejits, and all this vertex thing was blown out my mind, however I copied the code and adjusted the numbers to make a 13m wide, 5m high, 7m (length?) house, as measured by one in Google Earth that I wanted to do. After a lot of reading the guide, guessing numbers and adjusting the roof by trial and error I did it!

I also managed to get a photo of the house from Streetview and it is now on the front of the house Very Happy I picked this house for a route I'd like to do if I could actually make objects, so I'm going to try some other simple objects first and if I can do that I may just be on my way to starting. Of course I'd be using the UK signals rather than trying that, and asking if I may use some track and maybe vegetation, other than that I should be able to build the rest.

Even though most of the adjusting was trial and error, I would never have got to a start had I not read the eejits guide. Much more entertaining than some other confusing guides (or ones I find confusing anyway) so I must thank Graymac for his time in creating such a wonderful guide! Stupid as it sounds, it's such an achievement to have coded a basic house!

Cheers,

James.

james143611

Back to top Go down

Thank you Graymac! Empty Re: Thank you Graymac!

Post by graymac Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks, James. You have begun a wonderful journey with your first coding success. Long may you continue to build on it and may you be productive for a long time to come.

Stupid as it sounds, it's such an achievement to have coded a basic house!

Not stupid at all! We all had to start just as you did, and I still remember what a revelation and a joy it was to me when "the penny dropped" and I saw the relation with the co-ords and vertices. The info was available to me, of course, it was just that it seemed a high wall to climb at the start. The "Eejit's Guides" were just my attempt at explaining it to others, hopefully in a simple way.
Can I add that Guillyman also deserves honourable mention, as the guides were put for his experienced examination (I was still fairly "green" when I compiled them) before releasing them. His comments and help proved vital to their making.

To other OpenBVE fans out there who may be thinking of making their own material, don't be afraid to try, for goodness sake have a go! Get yourself the info here in the "Knowledge Base".
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by james143611 Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:09 pm

graymac wrote:
Can I add that Guillyman also deserves honourable mention

A big thank you to Guillyman too! (Just noticed his name is in the .pdf file Embarassed)

As for urging others, indeed it is worth a go even if to just make box objects. The thing I found with trial and error is if you don't understand the vertex well, like me at first, I just bumped one of the digits up a considerable amount, then refresh ShapeViewer. You then notice which part moves and understand what does what.

As my roof was higher and longer than in the tutorial, I knew I had a lot of adjusting to do, but modding all the numbers made it fit, and I could eventually see what moves where.

Cheers,

James.

james143611

Back to top Go down

Post by james143611 Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:38 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67893901@N07/8514637534/in/photostream

Here is the house! Not much side detail as it wouldn't be close to the track, so is more of a distance object. Can't seem to texture the gable, comes up with an error. Is it not as simple as making a small squared brick texture, which is what I tried? Any help of this matter would be appreciated please Smile

Cheers,

James.

james143611

Back to top Go down

Post by Northern Line Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:40 am

[quote="james143611"]
graymac wrote:

A big thank you to Guillyman too! (Just noticed his name is in the .pdf file Embarassed)

As for urging others, indeed it is worth a go even if to just make box objects. The thing I found with trial and error is if you don't understand the vertex well, like me at first, I just bumped one of the digits up a considerable amount, then refresh ShapeViewer. You then notice which part moves and understand what does what.

Cheers,
James.

ShapeViewer? That doesnt sound like a bad idea actually Razz
Northern Line
Northern Line

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down