BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woulda like some advice on a typical British Train depot

3 posters

Go down

Woulda like some advice on a typical British Train depot Empty Woulda like some advice on a typical British Train depot

Post by rick1984 Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:16 pm

I am creating a depot in Bahn simulator and would like to know what sort of layout and facilities and buildings I would expect to find in a typical British train depot.

Also I'd appreciate any info on where various trains are stabled throughout a rail network when off duty.
As well as how stock is utilised in terms of going on and off duty and the number of trains used at any one time.
Cheers.

rick1984

Back to top Go down

Woulda like some advice on a typical British Train depot Empty Re: Woulda like some advice on a typical British Train depot

Post by leezer3 Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:23 am

rick1984 wrote:I am creating a depot in Bahn simulator and would like to know what sort of layout and facilities and buildings I would expect to find in a typical British train depot.

Also I'd appreciate any info on where various trains are stabled throughout a rail network when off duty.
As well as how stock is utilised in terms of going on and off duty and the number of trains used at any one time.
Cheers.

What timeperiod would be the first, and possibly most important question?

Modern facilities:
* Loco wash
* Fuelling point (Often at the end of the loco wash siding, so you head through the wash to fuelling)
* Sidings (Obviously!), depends on the size and location of the depot as to number of these. Will usually be a number of straight-through sidings, and some dead-ends.
* Depending on the depot, there will be a shed of some description. Can range from nothing much more than a double-track thing for very basic maintenence to a full monty works with lifts etc.

Anything other than that depends. You will often get a water column somewhere for use with steam specials, usually separate carriage sidings and loco sidings, possibly a siding or two for the permanent way dept, and there may well be a siding or two at the back somewhere with ancient stock in there. (Old coaches used for storage, stuff that's been vandalised and never moved etc)
You may also find run-around loops, turntables etc- This all depends on when the depot was built, the type of stock and traffic patterns on the line and so-on.

I'm no expert by any means, I think there are a couple of people who actually work on the railways here somewhere!

Cheers

Chris Lees

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Woulda like some advice on a typical British Train depot Empty Re: Woulda like some advice on a typical British Train depot

Post by hurricanemk1c Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:07 am

I can give you details of a modern Irish DMU depot. Similar enough to UK noes though.

It has :

Wheel lathe,
Washers
Fuel, Toilet discharge points,
Fuel store
General Stores
5 road shed
5 roads of stabling points
hurricanemk1c
hurricanemk1c

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down