BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Copyright issues solution proposal

+6
meridian222017
wheeltapper
kwijiboenator
rosters 82a
Northern Line
Dexter
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Copyright issues solution proposal - Page 2 Empty Re: Copyright issues solution proposal

Post by kwijiboenator Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Well in some cases there are financial losses to take into account - more or less though that is the equivalent to the difference between BVE and Railworks though, in many ways.

I think people like to have their work as a skills showreel - or to recall the highs and lows of developing.

Again, in arts communities, people are 'named and shamed' once evidence is put forward that they're claiming ownership of work they had no part in putting together.
kwijiboenator
kwijiboenator

Back to top Go down

Copyright issues solution proposal - Page 2 Empty Re: Copyright issues solution proposal

Post by wheeltapper Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Right, so if it works for the arts people there is no good reason why a broadly similar system shouldn't work equally well for us, in our situation.

@Derryck - just noticed the stars and all that. Thanks for the attention, and I do hope that the advice is good, but please, no extra recognition needed. I believe in equality and I'm in all this exactly the same as my companions. So would you mind losing the stars? I'm what the Yanks would probably definitely call a Commie! Long live the spirit of Woodie Guthrie.

Oh, and "power to the workers", especially the trainsim workers!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by wheeltapper on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : "power to the workers")

wheeltapper

Back to top Go down

Post by morb_au Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi all,

While I may be new to the BVE world I am a veteran of licensing wars in OpenStreetMap, and my day job deals partly with the licensing of government information. The following is advice of a general nature which may help move this discussion forward.

Can I raise 2 points for your consideration:

1. The Creative Commons licensing was mentioned earlier in this thread. I cannot commend it highly enough. It may seem complicated, but the intent of the CC is that the complicated issues are already worked through so that you don't have to.

1.a. Have a think about the flavours of CC licences. CC By is the least restrictive (only requiring attribution in downstream works) but that isn't for everyone.

2. If you use a collaborative file versioning system like git (see GitHub for a cloud-hosted example), it features strong version histories - i.e. the issue of who did what when starts to go away.

It's a shame there seems to be this disharmony in the community. I mean, I got sucked into checking this BVE out when I saw screencaps by Anthony Bowden - so I hope we can work a way though.

(this post licenced under CC By (-: )

morb_au

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:54 pm

Thank you for suggestions, Mr. morb_au. Cool I think the most of us have finally come to a satisfactory solution, some authors have chosen the creative commons, some have chosen the local initiative known as BWWAA. The most important thing at the moment is that most of the community have stopped fighting against each other and started developing again. I sincerely hope this direction will be kept for as long as possible.
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2