BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CSV to X converter

2 posters

Go down

CSV to X converter Empty CSV to X converter

Post by ecreek Tue May 28, 2019 1:54 am

Back in the early days of BVE when it first adopted the x file format there was a converter which could convert a batch of csv files to the 'new' format. This tool seems to still work but it only seems to handle texture files in BMP format.

Is it possible to have such a tool that is consistent with the new parsers? I think the x format still loads routes quicker and gives better frame rates overall.

ecreek

Back to top Go down

CSV to X converter Empty Re: CSV to X converter

Post by leezer3 Wed May 29, 2019 12:14 pm

X files definitely won't give 'better' framerates on their own.
I haven't investigated the affect on load times with them specifically, but at the file sizes we use, I'd expect any difference to be marginal at best.

I'm presuming the convertor tool you're referring to is Mackoy's original BVE4 structure viewer, which is the only one I can think of off the top of my head Smile
It's possible that it does some sort of pre-processing before generating the X file (If anything it'd be squashing multiple meshbuilders into one and culling duplicate verts), but IIRC it's using internal DirectX functions to generate the output file, which makes it rather hard to see what's going on.

Creating a bare CSV to textual X convertor isn't difficult (Binary is more of a PITA), but I don't see the point for what's almost certainly a placebo affect.
If I remember, I'll try and run a few super complex objects through it and see if it's vertex culling or something, but this is rather low on the priority list.

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ecreek Wed May 29, 2019 12:42 pm

Thanks Chris. Here is the program I had in mind. CSV to X.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aNGISAM7wZZvwhEHRqXTNmg_2jYtxlz7

ecreek

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Wed May 29, 2019 1:12 pm

Had a quick look at the internals of that one- It's from Mackoy, and must have been released somewhere around when the BVE4 structure viewer was released.
Don't remember it specifically, but it's not doing anything interesting Smile

Will try and run some mesh comparisons tomorrow.

Technical:
It's loading the CSV directly into a Direct3D retained mode mesh, and then calling the native Direct3D X file exporter.
PNG textures aren't supported by Direct3D retained mode full-stop (only raw formats such as BMP), hence why they're just ignored.

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down