BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing File Function?

2 posters

Go down

Missing File Function? Empty Missing File Function?

Post by Locomotion Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi,
I seem to remember that in an earlier version of Open BVE (maybe 1.2 'ish) there was a function that displayed a list of any files the program had not found. I'm running 1.5.3.8 at the moment, and I wonder if that function still lurks within and I have just not found it?

The reason I ask is that on the route I am developing I get a report at the beginning of the game that there are 13 files not found. Yet everything appears to be there and working, except that the signal aspects are difficult to see at a distance. Route viewer however does not report any missing files and the signal aspects are very visible. It so happens that in this route I declared 13 signals using the command;

Signal(n).Load ;

the second filename being a glow file, which I suspect is the one that is not being found by the main program.

I think this problem emerged one or two OpenBVE updates ago, it all used to work fine.

Thanks for any help,

Loco

Locomotion

Back to top Go down

Missing File Function? Empty Re: Missing File Function?

Post by leezer3 Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Main menu, Report Problem in the bottom left, followed by View The Previous Log

From a brief chase, signal glows seem to be working fine for me in the current build.
If it's still broken with this, I need at minimum the log, and preferably a sample I can play with to see what's wrong Smile

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Locomotion Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:27 pm

Aha! Thank You.
This has confirmed that it is the glow files that were missing, The message in the log says;
An unexpected error occured (could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Tony\OpenBVE\openBVE\s2h3\brsigs\glow2g.x'.) while attempting to load the file s2h3\brsigs\glow2g.x

This message is repeated 13 times for each of my Signal(n).Load  instructions in my structure file.

My Signal.Load command is as follows;

Signal(1).Load s2h3\brsigs\signal2g.x; s2h3\brsigs\glow2g.x

The odd thing is that it picks up the first signal file correctly, its the relative path for the second file that has gone wrong.

I have solved the problem with a rather ugly hack, by putting another copy of my brsigs folder at the location it is searching.

I'm running Windows 7 by the way.

Many Thanks.

Locomotion

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:16 pm

That looks to me as if something is getting confused as you're not using the Railway\Object folder structure.

I take it the correct path is C:\Users\Tony\OpenBVE\s2h3\brsigs
Will do some investigating & see what I can find Smile

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by Locomotion Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Yes very odd, as I am using the Railway\Object folder structure. The correct path in full should be;

C:\Users\Tony\openBVE Content\Railway\Object\s2h3\brsigs\

The first signal file is found correctly, why the path then jumps to somewhere entirely different for the glow file I do not understand.

I do need to do some tidying of my folders, there have been numerous updates and reloads over the last few years, so there may be some crossed wires somewhere.

Locomotion

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:37 pm

Odd Sad
I can't reproduce with either the current nightly or 1.5.3.8
(All I did there was to grab Odakyufan's ATS test route, shift all the objects to your given path and import BRSigs)

My best guess at the minute is that it's misdetecting the Railway folder structure somehow. If it can't find this, it makes a series of best-guess attempts to find it.
These should be at the start of the log, but work essentially as follows:

• It starts by traversing upwards from the routefile directory looking for the Railway folder, which must be non-empty.
  • If this fails, it then looks for a folder containing at a minimum Object and Route folders.
  • Finally, if this fails, it returns the program directory.

Route Viewer's directory detection is identical (bar some logging), which makes this even more confusing Sad

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by Locomotion Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:39 pm

I have had a good look through my file structure and cannot find anything obviously wrong. The log file starts by saying it has found the Railway folder and the Route folder. It finds the signal file in \brsigs correctly relative to the Object file, but then looks for the glow file in a non-existent \brsigs  folder relative to the folder the main OpenBVE program is in. Weird. 

I've attached the log report for your interest.

I've also upgraded to 1.5.4.1 but the bug remains unchanged. I now have a work around, so this is not a high priority, but it suggests there may be a regression issue lurking. The original signal declaration code was from Dennis Lances' tutorials which used to work with no errors.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Locomotion

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:25 pm

No log attached at this end.

I'll keep digging, but this is very confusing Razz

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Missing File Function? Empty Problem Solved!

Post by Locomotion Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Problem Solved!

After much shifting of folders and files, all to no avail, I decided to read the instructions! Trawling through the online documentation I reread the Signal.Load entry where it gives the useful clue of filenamewithoutextension, Removing the .x extensions I had in my structure file solved the problem! I cannot explain where the extensions came from, I must have cut and pasted them in at some stage and not noticed the errors popping up...

Thanks for your help, don't know where the earlier attached file went, perhaps I hit Send rather than Submit Query...

Smile

Locomotion

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:25 pm

Ah, now that makes some sort of sense.

I'm sure we can handle that case better though.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:59 pm

OK, so this will be handled much more nicely in builds after today.

If an extension is detected, it'll check if it's allowable (.b3d , .csv or .x) and add an appropriate warning / error as required, rather than dying nastily as at present.

https://vps.bvecornwall.co.uk/OpenBVE/Builds/OpenBVE-2019-01-16.zip
Nightly build version 1.5.1084-1138-travis or later.

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down