BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building points

3 posters

Go down

Building points Empty Building points

Post by Tstageman Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Quick question all, about building points.

Thus far I have only mastered the art of basic points where the two tracks are joining to make it look like a point, not really using the points objects, but using the curve one way and then back the other method (to simulate crossing from one track to another), I've found that it doesn't make very good points unless they are extremely tight. How can I build decent points? I understand the principal of a null rail and using a point object over the top of some track, but whenever I have a go, it never seems to turn out how I want it to.

Any advice at all?

Thanks

Tom
Tstageman
Tstageman

Back to top Go down

Building points Empty Re: Building points

Post by tof63 Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Tstageman wrote:it never seems to turn out how I want it to
BVE and openBVE don't have any kind of "point" command being part of route file statements.
Moreover an object looking like a point can be placed on the track using the freeobj statement. This object, as every other, has to be built according with its apparence.

If you use the SWITCH 1.5 program available here here to build the object, pay attention to the "Direction of travel" parameter (read the SWITCH-Readme.doc file inside the zipped file before using it).

Switch 1.5 is a DOS only program, so you need DOSBOX to run it under Windows 7.
tof63
tof63

http://bve.altervista.org/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Tstageman Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Yes, I've used another points generator before and created some points but its getting the curve correct so that if you're crossing from one track to an adjacent one, so that they don't end up at the wrong angles. I'll see if I can get a screenshot to show what I mean.

Regards

Tom
Tstageman
Tstageman

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:15 pm

The key to succesful crossovers is more the offset than the radius, it's more difficult to explain than it is to do, but the fact that it is possible can be seen in the many and varied crossovers in the Ballyfeckin routes. Both .rail & .freeobj point items are used plus the "null rail" where necessary. The coding isn't hard to analyse.
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down