BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help? Ask me.

4 posters

Go down

Need help? Ask me. Empty Need help? Ask me.

Post by mrknowitall Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:53 pm

I would like to say any developing help for objects ONLY i am here to help. Both ".csv" and ".animated" files are my main areas of knowledge. I don't really understand ".B3D" files, neither do i understand coding for routes. But by all means hit me a pm if you need any help. or post here too.
mrknowitall
mrknowitall

Back to top Go down

Need help? Ask me. Empty Re: Need help? Ask me.

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:02 pm

Seems fair enough mrknowitallexceptb3dfiles, expect to be bombarded with questions that would make teh spanish inquisition seem tame.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:33 am

I know about them, making the name work Wink i just am not 100% , And the more the merrier
mrknowitall
mrknowitall

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Good to have a volunteer. Very Happy Anyway, you might not be the only source of information here, but you definitely will be a valuable one. Cool
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by wheeltapper Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:08 pm

.b3d files are not greatly different to .csv ones. A lot of people prefer .b3d as the syntax is tidier, with less typing to do.
Main differences, csv first, .b3d equivalent:
CreateMeshBuilder, = [meshbuilder]
AddVertex, = vertex
AddFace, = face
SetColor, = color
GenerateNormals, = not used
LoadTexture, = [texture]
load filename
SetTextureCoordinates, = coordinates
SetDecalTransparentcolor = transparent

You see, its a lot less wordy and no need for comma after command word.
Now go and throw all those mouldy old .csv files in the bin!! Very Happy

wheeltapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:38 pm

I'll go along with that. Although i dont do developing myself I can never understand why people want to type 3 times as much wording into a file which doesn't do any more than a b3d file. Csv is a waste of space and must surely slow down the sim. Also why do people persist in using the generatenormals bit, which is ignored by openbve, and put commas at the end of each line, which aren't necessary?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:40 pm

I would not do that, since *.b3d cannot use commands "cube" and "cylinder". Therefore it would be much more typing and calculating when creating these...

EDIT: OK, that was a test. I was just curious whether somebody will correct me. Good to know you will, since I am just a human, who sometimes makes mistakes, of course.

Last edited by Derryck on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:48 pm

Derryck wrote:I would not do that, since *.b3d cannot use commands "cube" and "cylinder"..

This is a misconception. They certainly do recognise these commands. Same syntax but without the comma.
Csv files have absolutely no more functionality at all over b3d files.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Right, a point for you. Cool By the way, I have heard the above mentioned argument so many times I have been loosing count. Very Happy
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Humorist wrote:I'll go along with that. Although i dont do developing myself I can never understand why people want to type 3 times as much wording into a file which doesn't do any more than a b3d file. Csv is a waste of space and must surely slow down the sim. Also why do people persist in using the generatenormals bit, which is ignored by openbve, and put commas at the end of each line, which aren't necessary?

Well, in my case, it is more of a habit than a strict sticking to one format... I usually create new object by simply copying one face from another and then just modifying vertex positions. So, should I break that habit? Twisted Evil
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by wheeltapper Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Looking at the wonderfully detailed items in the First Brno route I think the answer must be, "Whatever works best for you". And your results seem to show that your methods are right. I have looked a bit at some object building tips, as I thought I would like to give it a try. I found a simple guide for eejits (whatever those are??) on that paddy website and Mick or whatsisname seems to go with the b.3d files. Can't be too hard then! If anyone wants a peep I found the stuff here, http://www.iwrsim.graymacimage.com/iwrsimdownloads.html

wheeltapper

Back to top Go down

Post by thehoviskid Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:53 pm

I've worked with objects of both types at the same time (Al's Class 47 and the TSC Mk2 stock, .b3d and .csv respectivley) and of the two i prefer .b3d simply because it seems less prone to dodgy typing. Looks neater too. It seemed easier to mentally swich from working on a .csv to .b3d than the other way round.

Humorist wrote:Also why do people persist in using the generatenormals bit, which is ignored by openbve, and put commas at the end of each line, which aren't necessary?

In the case of the former, usually because an object has been derived from another older object, and i'm not sure that anyone would think to actually bother removing them- they're like CreateMeshBuilder/[Meshbuilder], you get to regard them as part of the furniture, and in the case of the latter, i'd suspect automatic typing. Personal preference though; for example, i always prefer the same number of digits in each column for e mesh, as i find it easier to find what i'm looking for, i'll usually change the parts of a file i'm working on to be like that, but i wouldn't bother changing the whole lot.

thehoviskid
thehoviskid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum