BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cab/Panel2.cfg - any way of achieving a "Radial LED" digital gauge ?

3 posters

Go down

Cab/Panel2.cfg - any way of achieving a "Radial LED" digital gauge ? Empty Cab/Panel2.cfg - any way of achieving a "Radial LED" digital gauge ?

Post by Achenar Sun May 03, 2020 7:18 am

Hi, wondering if there is some recommended approach or in-built OpenBVE Panel2.cfg support for a sort of "radial digital" in-cab gauge whereby an outer ring of LEDs illuminates according to an underlying value such as speed? 

This is almost like a hybrid between the existing [digital gauge] and [needle] elements, insofar as it's basically extending what I understand to be the straight-line capabilities of the former to incorporate the angular  / radial aspects of the latter.

Representative image below - basically the outer ring of LEDs on the LHS image is closest to what I mean.  

Cab/Panel2.cfg - any way of achieving a "Radial LED" digital gauge ? Image010

Achenar

Back to top Go down

Cab/Panel2.cfg - any way of achieving a "Radial LED" digital gauge ? Empty Example of combined type meter

Post by Ghost of Kymlinge Sun May 03, 2020 7:50 am

You may want to take a look at the Keio class 8000 EMU, which have a combined type of speedometer:

Cab/Panel2.cfg - any way of achieving a "Radial LED" digital gauge ? 8000c

Dowload link
Ghost of Kymlinge
Ghost of Kymlinge

https://openbve.net/

Back to top Go down

Cab/Panel2.cfg - any way of achieving a "Radial LED" digital gauge ? Empty Re: Cab/Panel2.cfg - any way of achieving a "Radial LED" digital gauge ?

Post by Achenar Sun May 03, 2020 8:34 am

Thanks for the quick reply - definitely looks like what I'm after.  Unfortunately the link you include mentions in the download section 
" The creator's website has disappeared from the Internet."
Tried googling around a bit with no luck , but will continue looking - thanks again!

Achenar

Back to top Go down

Cab/Panel2.cfg - any way of achieving a "Radial LED" digital gauge ? Empty Re: Cab/Panel2.cfg - any way of achieving a "Radial LED" digital gauge ?

Post by Ghost of Kymlinge Sun May 03, 2020 9:21 am

That is true, but if you look one line below the line you quoted, you'll find
"To download from this website: OpenBVE train package ver. 1.0.0.0" Very Happy
Ghost of Kymlinge
Ghost of Kymlinge

https://openbve.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Achenar Sun May 03, 2020 10:03 am

Oh whoops, thanks very much - I misread that as downloading OpenBVE v1.0.0.0 itself! I will have a look, cheers  Very Happy

Achenar

Back to top Go down

Post by Achenar Sun May 03, 2020 10:46 am

Interesting - so it appears the original panel.cfg supports this style of indicator through [Speedometer] section of Type=1

This leads me to be a bit confused about OpenBVE panel.cfg vs panel2.cfg - the documentation states 

"The panel.cfg has been superseded by the panel2.cfg. You can achieve the full functionality of the panel.cfg and more by using the panel2.cfg instead."

... this implies the panel.cfg functionality is supported as a subset of panel2.cfg processing, but stepping through the OpenBVE source (with only a limited understanding of the codebase) suggests to me that this command is not processed if it's present in panel2.cfg - and I can't see any other panel2.cfg commands which support a similar gauge style.

I'll continue to play around in case I'm missing something, and also test customized variations of [speedometer] in panel.cfg (noting it appears to work - although with minor visual artefacts - for the Keio class 8000)

Achenar

Back to top Go down

Post by zbx1425 Sun May 03, 2020 2:56 pm

There is something called DigitalGauge. That is the designed method of implementing such gauges. Is that the thing you are looking for?
https://openbve-project.net/documentation_hugo/en/trains/panel2_cfg.html#digitalgauge
It creates a solid-color square showing a radial of it. You can draw all the LEDs in your background and then use it to "block out" the LED lights you are willing to extinguish.
zbx1425
zbx1425

https://www.zbx1425.cn

Back to top Go down

Post by Achenar Mon May 04, 2020 8:19 am

Thank you both for your help Very Happy - I finally understood how this is meant to be used in combination with an overlay with transparency (via a [PilotLamp] section)to block out the LED light section you don't want - as you were saying zbx1425. 

So to summarize, I get good results using this combination
- [PilotLamp] section for the "cover" 
- [DigitalGauge] section linked to the speedo

Code:
[PilotLamp]
Subject = true
Location = 503,484
DaytimeImage = speedocover.bmp
NighttimeImage = speedocover.bmp
TransparentColor = #0000FF
Layer = 3

[DigitalGauge]
Subject = kmph
Location = 544, 529
Color = #9d0000
Radius = 40
InitialAngle = 120
LastAngle = -120
Minimum = 120
Maximum = 0
Step = 5
Layer = 2

Achenar

Back to top Go down

Post by zbx1425 Mon May 04, 2020 9:30 am

Achenar wrote:I finally understood how this is meant to be used in combination with an overlay with transparency (via a [PilotLamp] section)to block out the LED light section you don't want - as you were saying zbx1425. 
Glad to see you've got it all figured out. I should've told you the "overlay with transparency" thing earlier... Good day!

BTW, the way you are doing does not create a gauge with the style of individual LED little lamps.
It is designed to work like this:
1) Draw a ring with all LED bulbs illuminated in the background
2) Use DigitalGauge with InitialAngle less then LastAngle and a black color, to "block out" the LED bulbs that are not supposed to illuminate
3) And lay another PilotLamp cover on top of the DigitalGauge for the face
In that way you can display the "shape" of the round LED bulbs instead of just solid color.
zbx1425
zbx1425

Back to top Go down

Post by Achenar Mon May 04, 2020 9:47 am

Ahh yes I see, thanks for further explaining that approach.

I was thinking another strategy for achieving the look of "individual" looking LED segments would be just to modify the 'cover' being used in the [PilotLamp] section to include small areas of separation from one segment to the next.

Anyway in the short term (without any of the above), this is the look I have  - still working on transparency and size for the digital numbers 
Cab/Panel2.cfg - any way of achieving a "Radial LED" digital gauge ? Captur10

Last edited by Achenar on Mon May 04, 2020 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Achenar

Back to top Go down

Post by zbx1425 Mon May 04, 2020 9:54 am

Achenar wrote:I was thinking another strategy for achieving the look of "individual" looking LED segments would be just to modify the 'cover' being used in the PilotLamp to include small areas of separation from one segment to the next.
That is also an idea.

(Sigh) When you try to combine taken photos and drawn images together they always are not fitting well...
zbx1425
zbx1425

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down