BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-del-

5 posters

Go down

-del- Empty -del-

Post by Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Last edited by lonelyinardwick on Wed May 13, 2020 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

-del- Empty Re: -del-

Post by kwijiboenator Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:23 am

I see his point, which is very valid in the time we're living in right now - but the thing is that by the time construction is starting, we'd be out of the current financial difficulties. I do think the current AA-Roadmaps with lines drawn in showing the route on the DfT's website don't really show us the best route available though - if any HS2 were to operate, surely St.Pancras would be the best choice of London terminal so that potential services could connect us to other European cities?

But I do think we should perhaps look at connecting Wales and Scotland up to a better rail network first - as the chap Jeffery Quoted had observed a number of times in his letter to the Mail, we should look to invest in the current system - and I think we should probably be looking at cutting down the journey times between Edinburgh and Aberdeen - because at that distance it really shouldn't be taking two and half hours between the two cities - by intercity services no less!

I do however value time above money - because in this life, time is all we have. We never really do have money, because money is an exchange system, which looses all value if it lacks the 'exchange' part of it's very being.

I have a lot of respect for the letter though - because it isn't the nimby's making up invalid, random arguments which spiral into an out of control ravings of lunatics, but somebody who has sat back and taken stock - and perhaps construction of HS2 should sit it out until other issues are resolved on the current rail network - bear in mind, introducing in-cab signaling could mean faster operations on our current mainlines from 125mph to 140mph or 150mph - bear in mind some Japanese Shinkansen routes run at 152mph, so that wouldn't be too bad.

As I've said before, in-cab signaling also means no copper wire cable thefts from signals - because there wouldn't be any. Plus, the time saved off of mainline routes would have it's uses to the majority of those who commute and use our rail system on a daily basis.

There'd not be a hole in anybody's pocket for too long a time either - selling off all of the copper wire after introducing in-cab signaling would probably prop up the cost for it's introduction.

HS2 is a good idea at some point though - perhaps if not HS2 whilst a HS2 system costs are in it's Billions, then the above changes implemented on our network could mean waiting for a more efficient - and even higher speed mag-lev system, bringing speeds of around 500mph, once such a system developed on the scale of the proposed HS2 was brought down from the trillions to the billions level? To answer that question though, you need to ask 'Do we need HS2' prior to it's immediate construction.
kwijiboenator
kwijiboenator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:11 am

Just for your comparison, our second largest city (Brno) and third largest city (Ostrava) are 167 km away from each other, the net railway distance is considered. Now, if I take the train departing Brno at 6:02 in the morning, I will get to Ostrava at 8:27 a.m., How poor is that?
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:13 am

Last edited by lonelyinardwick on Wed May 13, 2020 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:20 am

Yes it is, that's one of the reasons why trains are so "popular in my country". albino
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by Misfit Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:16 pm

But is it really necessary to be able to travel from Birmingham to London in 45 minutes. Perhaps the government want to turn Birmingham into a commuter city for London. Goodness knows how many folks would be able to afford the cost of a season ticket if this were the case.

How long would it take to drive by car from Brno to Ostrava. I believe that there is a motorway for most of that journey.
Misfit
Misfit

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:29 pm

Actually yes, the motorway has been finished last year It goes whole the way throu and it takes about 90 minutes or so...
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Last edited by lonelyinardwick on Wed May 13, 2020 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Misfit Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:04 pm

A report in the Guardian says the Department of Transport has miraculously found £500 million to spend on 1.5 miles of tunnelling through the Chilterns so as to preserve an area of outstanding natural beauty. Yet more money the country cannot afford or is the BOE going to start printing monopoly money to pay for this ludicrous scheme.
Misfit
Misfit

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Ah, yes! But you overlook the fact that the spending is in the backyard of the overprivileged conservatives. Different rules, old boy!
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 92220 Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Wongie2009 wrote:Are you saying a Taxi would be faster than a Train between the two cities?

I once caught the night sleeper from Durban to Johannesburg. A bicycle would have been faster. A 300 mile journey took 18 hours and you missed the nice scenery going through Natal because it was a night with no moon. Dawn came and we were up on the reef where it is flat like Norfolk, only bigger. rendeer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwijiboenator Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:57 am

The past few winters have meant bus journeys from Bradford to the village where I live takes 3 hours - only 1 bus per direction per day, for a distance of 10 miles!

Complain to the bus driver, and s/he just shuts the bus down and stares at you!

I'll stick with my car and the trains, thank you!
kwijiboenator
kwijiboenator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum