BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-del-

+2
Quork
graymac
6 posters

Go down

-del- Empty -del-

Post by Guest Sun May 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Last edited by lonelyinardwick on Wed May 13, 2020 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

-del- Empty Re: -del-

Post by graymac Sun May 20, 2012 9:26 pm

pretending I knew what people were talking about

Never do that, Jeff. You're only diggin' a bigger hole to be after fallin' in. It's better to begin from the position where yez haven't got a clue. Any glimmer of understandin' that dawns afterwards is a bonus Very Happy
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Sun May 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Microsoft might do mistakes, but they won't risk bringing the whole gaming industry against them. Apart from that, that duncish idea to port a mobile phone interface to a PC OS is, in my eyes, very likely to make Windows 8 a failed version world's history will pass over, just like Windows NT, Windows Me or partially Windows Vista.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by alex_farlie Sun May 20, 2012 9:37 pm

graymac wrote:
pretending I knew what people were talking about

Never do that, Jeff. You're only diggin' a bigger hole to be after fallin' in. It's better to begin from the position where yez haven't got a clue. Any glimmer of understandin' that dawns afterwards is a bonus Very Happy

Me is reminded of 2 poor taste jokes...
"
An Irish Site Foreman is having a row with an English builder, The builder says that half the nails supplied to put panelling on one side of the house will have to be thrown out..

The Architect asks why, . The builder says ' Well the heads are on the wrong end...', The architect laughs and replies 'Don't be such an idiot, they are for the panelling on the other side of the house!' ..
"
Two Canal diggers are talking over thier pints,
'You Know Micheal..' says one, I've got this feeling the canal we are digging is cursed?'
'Why's that Patrick' remarks his friend.
'Well only the devil himself could make water flow uphill!'
'That's not a devil, that's an Englishmen!'
"
Note in some variants the latter joke has a less polite ending Smile

alex_farlie

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Sun May 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Aha! That's the kind of jokes the Mayo men tell about the Kerry men!
And, as we're on stereotyping, the Cavan man is supposed to be mean with the money, similar jokes to ones the English say about the Scots, most of the Scots say about the Aberdonians . . . .

Paddy Reilly was peeling wall paper off the wall in his home in Ballyjamesduff when Hughie Smith arrived to visit.
"Ah Paddy, Decoratin' agin?"
"No" says Paddy, "I'm movin' out to a new house in Killeshandra"

Or:

A Monaghan Footballer (no not a woman!), a meath Footballer and a Cavan Footballer (obviously played in the 50's!) were out fishing on Lough Sheelin one day when Jesus walked across the water and joined them in their boat.

The boys were gob-smacked! "Jaysus" was all they could say in dumb harmony!

The monaghan man said humbly (Yeah right!) "Jesus, me back's been at me ever since I played U16 football against Meath many moons ago. Can you do anything for me? Jesus touched his back and he was relieved of the pain for the first time in 44 years.

The Meath man, sporting a pair of thick black rimmed glases with milk-bottle-end lens, "I haven't seen the stout in front of me since I got a hit in the 1965 under-21 championship match against Dublin. What can you do for me." Jesus gently removed the antique glasses and flung them into the lake and immediately the Meath man could see as far as the Tower of Lloyd in Kells.

Jesus then turned to the Cavan man who leapt to the back of the boat and cried "Don't put a finger on me - I'm on a disability pension!"

Bugger political correctnes, all the same. At least they're FUNNY and we can have a good laugh!
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alvinhochun Mon May 21, 2012 4:07 am

Nothing needs to be rewritten if we don't need to concern Windows ARM.

openBVE will just run on Windows 8 as normal as in Windows 7, using .NET Framework 4.0 and Tao.Framework

I was about to say that, but it turned out that when using 1.4.1.2 (not yet updated to 1.4.1.2a), NONE of the text and textures are showing up correctly.

I am installing the display drivers to see how it works out.

ADDED:
BTW openBVE NEVER supported OpenGL ES (i.e. /iP(hone|[ao]d)/, Android) and will NOT support /Direct.*/ (because of the opensource nature?) so nothing to worry about (I think).

ADDED:
Installed AMD ... VISION Engine Control Center and driver for HD4250 and it worked normally.

So I'll say that again...
openBVE will just run on Windows 8 as normal as in Windows 7, using .NET Framework 4.0 and Tao.Framework AND with correct driver installed.

Last edited by alvinhochun on Mon May 21, 2012 4:21 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added things...)
alvinhochun
alvinhochun

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyfjj Mon May 21, 2012 2:13 pm

alvinhochun wrote:Nothing needs to be rewritten if we don't need to concern Windows ARM.

openBVE will just run on Windows 8 as normal as in Windows 7, using .NET Framework 4.0 and Tao.Framework

I was about to say that, but it turned out that when using 1.4.1.2 (not yet updated to 1.4.1.2a), NONE of the text and textures are showing up correctly.

I am installing the display drivers to see how it works out.

ADDED:
BTW openBVE NEVER supported OpenGL ES (i.e. /iP(hone|[ao]d)/, Android) and will NOT support /Direct.*/ (because of the opensource nature?) so nothing to worry about (I think).

ADDED:
Installed AMD ... VISION Engine Control Center and driver for HD4250 and it worked normally.

So I'll say that again...
openBVE will just run on Windows 8 as normal as in Windows 7, using .NET Framework 4.0 and Tao.Framework AND with correct driver installed.

It will run on normal x64 and x86 versions of Windows 8, but not on WOA (Windows on ARM, aka those with ARM processors) devices. If you can run it now, you can run it on Windows 8.

joeyfjj

http://joeyfoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyfjj Mon May 21, 2012 2:14 pm

Quork wrote:Microsoft might do mistakes, but they won't risk bringing the whole gaming industry against them. Apart from that, that duncish idea to port a mobile phone interface to a PC OS is, in my eyes, very likely to make Windows 8 a failed version world's history will pass over, just like Windows NT, Windows Me or partially Windows Vista.
In theory, Windows 7 is Windows NT, with a different shell appearence, so nope, NT was a success.

joeyfjj

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Mon May 21, 2012 2:26 pm

There's a huge difference between "being the self" and "being a descendant". My father's a software architect, and it seems in the bowels of the system changes are even bigger than one might think by looking on the outside. Especially between Vista and 7.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by alvinhochun Mon May 21, 2012 2:50 pm

As openBVE is written in CLI (Common Language Infrastructure) the .NET Framework (by Micro$oft) will fix itself to run normally on Windows 8 (x86+x64). As long as the .NET Framework is supported by Micro$oft we don't need to worry about the Windows version.

(Perhaps the Tao.Framework may needs updating, though.)

The actual problem is whether openBVE will be supporting Windows ARM. If openBVE continue using CLI and Tao.Framework, it's ability to run on Windows ARM will be depending on whether .NET Framework is supported, and whether Tao.Framework will make itself supporting Windows ARM (OpenGL ES).

AFAIK OpenGL is commonly used on desktop environment (x86/x64) while OpenGL ES is the standard for mobile devices (ARM smartphone/tablet). But if Micro$oft tries to force people using the Direct* functions we can't stop it.
alvinhochun
alvinhochun

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyfjj Mon May 21, 2012 4:12 pm

alvinhochun wrote:As openBVE is written in CLI (Common Language Infrastructure) the .NET Framework (by Micro$oft) will fix itself to run normally on Windows 8 (x86+x64). As long as the .NET Framework is supported by Micro$oft we don't need to worry about the Windows version.

(Perhaps the Tao.Framework may needs updating, though.)

The actual problem is whether openBVE will be supporting Windows ARM. If openBVE continue using CLI and Tao.Framework, it's ability to run on Windows ARM will be depending on whether .NET Framework is supported, and whether Tao.Framework will make itself supporting Windows ARM (OpenGL ES).

AFAIK OpenGL is commonly used on desktop environment (x86/x64) while OpenGL ES is the standard for mobile devices (ARM smartphone/tablet). But if Micro$oft tries to force people using the Direct* functions we can't stop it.

From my understanding, WOA programs do not run on x64/x86, and vice versa. Only Metro-style apps can be cross-architecture (is that the word?).

joeyfjj

Back to top Go down

Post by phontanka Mon May 21, 2012 8:31 pm

OpenBVE is not designed for devices with ARM processors (tablets, smartphones, etc), so that isn't a problem. What matters for us is traditional 32bit and 64bit computers.
phontanka
phontanka

http://phontanka.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum