BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Audio generation

2 posters

Go down

Audio generation Empty Audio generation

Post by JonSnow1710 Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 pm

Hello,

I hope you all are doing well, I am obviously new to this community, and I am intending to use Open BVE for research purposes, what I want to know is whether this tool can offer accurate audio recordings of railway various parts (engine sounds for instance), because I am trying to get audio recordings of trains in normal state vs trains with failures in order to create a predictive maintenance system.

Thank you in advance for your time.

JonSnow1710

Rakago likes this post

Back to top Go down

Audio generation Empty Re: Audio generation

Post by Quork Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:10 am

Hi and welcome,

no, this is not the way to go, at all. OpenBVE simulates railway operations, not the exact technology of the equipment as such. This is a totally different scope.
This being said, I can't imagine any type of simulation being helpful here. If you want to do sound-based fault prediction, which by the way has been and is being done in the industry around the world, you need actual data from real equipment, not some simulations. Given your wording I'll assume you're trying to train a neural network to recognise early signs of faults in the sound emitted by trains (also an approach used in the industry already), so you'll need loads upon loads upon loads of training data. Even if somehow simulating them in some way was feasible, I don't see how that would be easier than installing recording equipment at the targeted area (you don't specify if you're aiming for track side equipment or on board solutions), letting it run for a few months and cross-referencing it with maintenance records of the vehicles recorded.
Quork
Quork

Northern Line and JonSnow1710 like this post

Back to top Go down