BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Different viewpoint when having different monitors

4 posters

Go down

Different viewpoint when having different monitors Empty Different viewpoint when having different monitors

Post by LXQt Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:10 pm

Currently, extending the OpenBVE Window would only cause the FOV to be higher.
Now that I've got multiple monitors (Which isn't used frequently), it would be more immersive to be able to tell what's on the left/right of the screen.
(It also helps lining up the train to a correct position as some line have stop markers on the side)

My idea might be something like VirtualBox's Virtual Monitor, where you can choose how many window to launch. (From like 1-9)
Then you can move your camera on each individual window.

This also helps with recording purposes, where you might want to show the cab view & the exterior view at the same time.

Although just an idea, probably lots of change has to be made to the simulator itself
LXQt
LXQt

https://lx862.com

Gothpaladinus and Midnight Express Ginga81 like this post

Back to top Go down

Different viewpoint when having different monitors Empty Re: Different viewpoint when having different monitors

Post by Midnight Express Ginga81 Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:00 pm

At 2018, when S520 was the early contact with, S520 was send to by the letter to leeser3 what is for extrawindow using by dll.
But he wasn't good responce.
If the leeser3 is still keeping S520's extrawindow's source, he can adopt by  S520's extrawindow's code.
If he lost his code, I can re-email to him.
This code is not on github.
So need to re-email because by S520's copyright.

Midnight Express Ginga81

Back to top Go down

Different viewpoint when having different monitors Empty Re: Different viewpoint when having different monitors

Post by leezer3 Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:59 pm

Looking back in the emails & the supplied code, as far as I can see that's actually an ATS plugin, displaying various bits of data / images in a popup window.
The trouble with this approach is that on Linux / Mac, triggering a Windows form in this way has unpredicatable effects, ranging from freezing the main sim, not working at all etc. (This is essentially because a WinForm must control the main thread loop in a blocking manner for it's UI paint event)

I briefly tried this with BVEC_ATS (see the advanced driving window on the Manor), but the limitations / issues with this were the main resason it never went anywhere.

Running the plugin out of process would solve this, but that's only been implemented for legacy Win32 plugins.

LXQT actually wants a separate game camera view displayed in a different window.
The base rendering isn't too hard, as you're only really repeating the frame with a different set of camera parameters, but would absolutely kill the framerate (halve as an absolute minimum, but possibly less than that- I haven't actually looked into exactly what, but you're essentially rendering the entire frame twice)
I haven't really dug into the ins and outs of this, but from a very brief search, I'm not sure the backend library (openTK) will handle it very well......

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Midnight Express Ginga81 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Midnight Express Ginga81 Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:31 pm

I think that the fps will be less than half as you say because it draws full in two or more windows.
However, with NewRenderer (GL3.0), I think that fps can be supplemented if there is performance of the graphic board.

I think that to announce in advance that is good what is 'if we want to use more windows at your display, more slower the fps, but  it may be improved by the performance of the graphic board and NewRenderer.'.

I hope that it will be hired as well that the multiple windows are displayed from different viewpoints at the same time.

Midnight Express Ginga81

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:00 pm

Layman's thinking here, but wouldn't it be possible to have different settings for the additional views? For use in a let's play you'd want full quality on all views, of course - but I don't think OpenBVE will ever be a big let's play hit. The main application for those additional views would be, in my opinion, side windows - and for those I'd imagine most users would be happy to lower rendering quality there in return for better FPS on the main view; side windows are periferal anyways, so coarser, lower quality image quality wouldn't do any harm there for most users, I think.
Quork
Quork

Midnight Express Ginga81 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down