BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open BVE Re-Install (No Sound)

5 posters

Go down

Open BVE Re-Install (No Sound) Empty Open BVE Re-Install (No Sound)

Post by BillEWS Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:46 pm

I have just had to reinstall OpenBVE onto my computer after a crash that meant having to reinstall Windows 7. I backed up the main OpenBVE Folder of programme and files and while the simulation is starting up and trins running etc, I don't get any sound. Here is a screen grab of all the files if you can see anything missing I would appreciate knowing what it is, thanks. As I say all the routes and trains appear to be working OK but in total silence.

Open BVE Re-Install (No Sound) 2u8wia0

BillEWS

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/keng/kenhtml/GKHome.htm

Back to top Go down

Open BVE Re-Install (No Sound) Empty Re: Open BVE Re-Install (No Sound)

Post by BillEWS Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:05 pm

Would you believe i! I just started the programme up and the sound was there! I installed the programme and files a few days ago and each timeI ran the programme it remained silent. I have no idea what that was about but just pleased that everything is running well once again.

BillEWS

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:08 pm

Only one thought springs to mind, you might need to reinstall OpenAL. It is possible the crash affected registry files, an Achilles heel with Windoze.
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BillEWS Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:26 pm

You re probably right graymac, I noticed the AL file had a 'sheild' next to it that I don't remember seeing before. I clicked on the files but nothing appeared to happen. The change must have ten place when made a cold start boot up of my computer a short while ago. Exellent guess Graymac, thanks.

BillEWS

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:26 am

The shield rather looks like DEP to me (or however that stuff might be called in Win7)
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:38 am

The shield means the program is run :as an admin. It has to do with User Account Management in Windows... It is kinda strange when my computer has crashed, I have reinstalled the Windows and I never had to reinstall anything else, it is working after simply copying the previous folder. Which brings me to a thought it might be the reason for my low fps! Or a disk fail...
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:50 am

Well, a thorough scandisk is sure something one should do after a bigger crash... If there are broken sectors, scandisk reallocates them, stopping disk errors from occuring during program execution - I've been having such problems with Guild Wars 2 after the SATA cable somehow loosened itself resulting in broken sectors on my 1TB disk =\ However, if there are broken sectors, you also should recheck the disk after several days or weeks (depending on use). Should new sector failures be detected then, there's only one possible thing to do: Buy a new disk, copy the data and throw the old disk away (or try and get your money back, depending on how old it is and whether it's price is worth the effort).
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by BillEWS Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:34 am

The only thing I can add is that from new I set up OpenBVE as by the instructions and and the programme ran instantly without having to add anything else. This time the Shield was possibly from my Norton 360 programme, indicating that the AL file required some sort of updating.

The reason for a Windows reinstall was unusual in that I got two crashes after a couple of updates. I have not seen that before in all the years I have had a PC. The first time I got the compter to boot from the Safe mode and all appeared to be well. It started likewise after the second crash some while later but I soon found all sorts of problems happening such as taking ages to boot up, programmes refusing to open and web pages freezing up, so I decided to get Windows 7 reinstalled. The computer is running like new once again.

BillEWS

Back to top Go down

Post by Northern Line Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:40 am

Well to be fairly honest, I think that windows 7 is the best OS to run OpenBve on. Since when I ran openbve on XP I used to be seeing colours appearing on objects. The same thing happens on Windows 8 (Although there have been solutions). So in more or less terms, Windows 7 is the best system to run OpenBve on.

Regards
Northern Line
Northern Line

Back to top Go down

Post by BillEWS Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:35 am

I can agree with you on that Northern Line. I have been amazed at the picture resolution in routes since having Windows 7 and motion is very smooth with excellent 3-objects. I am am also getting really high frame rates too with the average being between 3-400 and even higer with a few old routes.

In the case of the latest locos with exterior views my old computer ground to a halt. Some would run the cab view (just) and not move in external view. All these locos, such as the Class 57's and 60's etc all run at reasonable frame rates in Windows 7 when in external mode.

The computer crash due to Window updates really came as a surprise as I had never experienced that before.

BillEWS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down