BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-del-

5 posters

Go down

-del- Empty -del-

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Last edited by lonelyinardwick on Wed May 13, 2020 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

-del- Empty Re: -del-

Post by spara Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:47 am

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here Wongie. Are you wanting us to pay you to translate the BVE5 documentation?

spara

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Last edited by lonelyinardwick on Wed May 13, 2020 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:42 pm

I think that's a fair idea. "Crowdfunding" would be the appropriate term.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:47 am

I would give my reasons for not agreeing with this, but i'm charging you a fee for me to tell you Jeff. Very Happy
mrknowitall
mrknowitall

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:24 am

Ben do you know that there are translater sites, where a volontary translater gets even dozens of cents per word?

There's a difference between charging a fee and accepting donations. The latter is acceptable in this case I think.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by spara Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:56 pm

With respect Wongie, your personal finance issues are just that. Personal. It's not for us to donate money to help you out. 

You will be unlikely to get financial support from what is ultimately a free simulator with free addons. If you really want to be paid then Railworks or Train Simulator 2013 are the way forward.

For the record, I have no problems with authors asking for donations, as long as we're not put into a situation where donations are demanded in return for work. Then they are not donations - it's payment for a product, which therefore means there will be minimum standards of quality expected by the customer. In the case of translation work, that quality is comprehensible, clear, unambiguous English which, judging by some of your posts, may be a challenge for you.

I hope you will take this advice in the way it was meant - constructive and helpful.

spara

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevegr Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:29 pm

I must admit all this is a bit academic.

NWM for example will not be made as a Bve5 route, it has lot's Open Bve coding in it.

That means you can't just run it through the converter and make it work.

Cabs/trains, well anything that's not been updated to be png file format could be..

Athough there's not that many on Bve4Trains that still are in bmp format.

Bve5, it's not something that means a sudden change in what sim the active developers in Bve decide to make things for in the UK.

Jeff is a student and they are all a bit broke, I can't see any problem that he asks for a bit of cash to try and make Bve5 more UK suitable.

But there's a shortage of anyone that actually tries to make something for Open Bve in the UK.

So Bve5?

Maybe not...

Stevegr

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Wongie2009 wrote:@Quork thanks for your remarks, I guess I'll drop this contributions thing entirely since this isn't the right audience. I'm still getting paid from my parents' takeaway business so surely I'll be fine.

@mrknowitall thank you as well for your remarks, then would you give such reasons why you agree so?

Well Jeff, I've got to say if you look at what you've asked in a 'third person' point of view, you are basically saying you will do the translation, but you want or wish for people to pay, the hard reality is that people are not as yet 100% sure about BVE5, not because they don't want, but because there is no such English translation. maybe if you put a really good input and people can follow set instructions on the information you write, people may wish to donate is there is such a facility on a said hosting site.

Quork I have noticed is a big contributor to the donations for OpenBVE, as he normally announces what amount has gone where each time he makes one, so you never know, they're other people who donate a vast amount of time and money into BVE5 & OpenBVE who like to keep it to themselves. 

so in a nutshell, if you could do something as good or maybe better than the current information like that of Dennis Lance, maybe people would hit the donate button, I would have donated to Dennis is there was a donation page as what I know about route building (which is not a lot) as all come from the information he provided.

I also wish you all the best on your choice.
mrknowitall
mrknowitall

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:40 am

I would have donated to Dennis is there was a donation page as what I know about route building (which is not a lot) as all come from the information he provided.

Quite so, Ben. We ALL owe Dennis a huge gratitude for his work in explaining the mysteries for us to get involved.

@Wongie - Should you succeed in producing a lucid, grammatical and comprehensible translation of the BVE5 building instructions it would help to promote the program in English-speaking countries. I don't know how many people would become involved or how long it might take before significant numbers of players adopted it. All I can say is that you might get some donations from a few of the people who avail of it. I have had some encouraging response from a small yet significant proportion of users on the Celtictrainsim site, enough to ensure the essential hosting can continue to provide the route and train downloads free of charge to all.
There's a saying, "You have to speculate to accumulate" - it smacks of capitalism and I don't care for it but it's true - you're going to have to gamble your own time if you do this project, rewards may come later. Or not. It's all a gamble.
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum