BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to BVE, but I'm on Mac?

2 posters

Go down

New to BVE, but I'm on Mac? Empty New to BVE, but I'm on Mac?

Post by allenz Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm new to BVE having seen some Youtube Vids. I'm on Mac here. I understand from (ipaclansite) that BVE will run on Mac but he mentioned some things I don't understand. He didn't give much info but suggested I join a forum and ask.

I tried the "main" BVE forum but registration is disabled and then I found this forum. He mentioned something about DLing DLL's but we don't use those on Mac. Then he mentioned, (You will them need to download mono and run OpenBVE via mono).

Could I get some help please?

Thanks
AllenZ

allenz

Back to top Go down

New to BVE, but I'm on Mac? Empty Re: New to BVE, but I'm on Mac?

Post by graymac Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Macs are a minefield for OpenBVE, it's THEORETICALLY possible to run it, but is often bedevilled with problems. Like this, for example:
Be sure you have read everything in the documentation from here:
http://odakyufan.zxq.net/openbve/index.html
Be sure you have the correct folder structure in place. Be sure you have correctly installed the dependencies.
Then when all else fails, pop down Tesco and get a trolley full of booze on yer Mastercard.

**Advice from Mac user with 20 years experience, never got it to work yet.

graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by allenz Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:43 pm

WOW, Thanks so much.

Allen

allenz

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Put your system details, plus any error warnings displayed, on here and MAYBE one of the few successful Mac users might have an answer.
For instance, Mac G4/5/?; PPC/Intel? OSX 10.4/5/whatever?
There are one or two users who can actually run it, but they're few and far between. Possibly the later the Mac the better . . . . .

I gave up in the end and though I still use the G5 for graphic/publishing etc. I switched to ghastly windoze for BVE game & dev work
Don't give up yet! Very Happy
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by allenz Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Hi Greymac

I would give the details but I haven't downloaded or tried to install the program yet. I'm doing my fact finding first. I probably would set it up on my Mac Pro, quad, 10,6; my professional video editing machine. I'm running Lion on my iMac.

I'll respond further when I try to install it.

Thanks
Allen

allenz

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:37 am

Right so. I imagined you had tried to get it to work and came off the worse for it LOL

You might be "first time lucky", providing you read and follow all the available info. Try it first and see. As I said, I never got anywhere with my quicksilver G4, or MacBook running OSX Tiger. Neither, of course, were Intel based macs. I have replaced the G4 with a G5, but haven't tried to get BVE on it. The good news was that even though BVE wouldn't run on these machines, at least it didn't feck anything up trying to instal it!
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum