BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Foundation Act

+4
kwijiboenator
wheeltapper
mrknowitall
Dexter
8 posters

Go down

The Foundation Act Empty The Foundation Act

Post by Dexter Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:55 pm

I have managed to put together a the first version of the alliance foundation act. Please read and comment.
[Document moved downwards as it was updated]

Last edited by Derryck on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

The Foundation Act Empty Re: The Foundation Act

Post by mrknowitall Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:22 am

unless im in trouble by you ( hopefully not ) i cannot download the item, it says i have not got the right permission to download the item.any suggestions?
mrknowitall
mrknowitall

Back to top Go down

Post by wheeltapper Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:29 am

Curiously, I have the same problem! So that's me AND mrknowitall in the sh*ttrouble?
ROFL Very Happy

wheeltapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:23 am

Looks like I have forgotten to adapt the permissions when creating this forum (the whole General Topics group). Should be fine now, I am really sorry. Embarassed pig Laughing lol!
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by wheeltapper Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:42 am

Seems to me like a reasonable and workable code Derryck. I don't think any decent developer would object to practicing in that manner.

wheeltapper

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:00 pm

can i ask one thing?, Although whats their is great. maybe an added point, if lets say two members are in the alliance. and one sends his WIP (yet to be released train) to the other (person2) but then both fall out, or person 2 wants to pro-claim the train as his own, and releases it. so in a way going behind persons one back for no good reason apart from wanting to be across the finish line first. what would we decide over that?
mrknowitall
mrknowitall

Back to top Go down

Post by wheeltapper Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:33 pm

If that were to happen perhaps both of them might be suspended from the list until they sorted it out for themselves. Because that is exactly the sort of behaviour which has gotten us into the brown-and-steaming in the past.

As you will have seen, the post concerning the latest occurence. In the General Topics.

wheeltapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:28 pm

I think a good advice might solve the problem Mr. Knowitall has mentioned - if you want to be sure nobody will "steal" your work without being spotted by the alliance, publish your WIP (in a form of screenshots, for example) on BVEWorldWide.unlimitedboard.com in the "Development center" so that everyone knows quite easily which object belongs to you... I might add this advice to the act...
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:22 pm

Maybe a new separate section just for this.. And the only way for it to be accessed is by those who are in the act? With maybe wheeltapper and someone else manning that section?

Maybe also it would be good to start a poll asking if users where happy to join such a new concept? Let's not trip over just after the gun was fired Smile
mrknowitall
mrknowitall

Back to top Go down

Post by wheeltapper Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:31 pm

I'm not looking for admin or mod or any other official post, thanks all the same mrknowitall. You have a good point about canvassing opinion, and it would be nice to know how the idea would go down. Derryck has some useful contacts and might ask a few developers if they would be, shall we say, supportive in principle.

wheeltapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwijiboenator Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:10 pm

Well I also think that when you have a team of developers - that everybody who is putting work into a project should be allowed to post screen shots - because after all, some developments are a big team effort, that don't get off the ground without the help of all of the hands on the deck.

Everybody who works on a project has equal rights to show how their work is used via posting screen shots, having the route available on their site, etc.

I think this would help settle some of the biggest arguments we've seen as of late.
kwijiboenator
kwijiboenator

Back to top Go down

Post by RWremote Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Before to we too far down this road, perhaps it should be noted that "something" along these lines had been envisaged before :-

The Foundation Act Developerguidelines_copyright
Which could be found at railsimroutes.co.uk/archive/developerguidelines/ . . . . . .

Anthony has withdrawn this particular document, (not surprising in the light of recent events), but would it not be a good idea to include him in these proceedings as there may be valuable information to be gleaned in there.

Also . . . . I'm very much in favour of Mr. Wheeltappers suggestion that if anything is contributed, then its out there, as free to use.
With one exception, (and I talk as an old fart here who used to program in Fortran in the late 70's and 80's, but since left the programming world), it is quite amazing where your code can end up once it gets out there.
The exception should be, that under no circumstances can it be used in any form of commercial payware (except by the original author ?).
[I'd have posted direct img/http links except the board says that I'm not allowed to do this until I've been a member for 7 days . . . I've still got 3 hours to go . . . ]
RWremote
RWremote

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:07 pm

Well, of ocourse, we will not allow the commercial use. Anyway, Anthony has not responded to my email for quite a while now... what can I do.

As far as I know, the act says once it is out there, it is free.. the only demanded thing is to say "thank you", when I (or anyone else) will adapt someone's work. Personally I think it's a bit of shame people need to be told this... again, what can I do.

The Act has been updated with both of the suggestions as I think they are reasonable and to the point.
Attachments
The Foundation Act Attachment
FoundationAct.pdf You don't have permission to download attachments.(60 Kb) Downloaded 44 times
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:40 pm

If there are no objections, we can start the project... Smile
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyfjj Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:32 pm

Looks good, but clarification needed: Is this for objects only or anything that is created for openBVE?

joeyfjj

http://joeyfoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wheeltapper Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:03 pm

It applies to any item whatsoever that a developer, who is signatory to the Foundation agreement, produces for BVE.

wheeltapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Yes, it should apply to both routes and objects... or anything else, not sure what that might be. Smile
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwijiboenator Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:38 am

I must say this does look very promising indeed!
kwijiboenator
kwijiboenator

Back to top Go down

Post by theflyingoreo Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:23 am

I like Smile

Am looking forward to putting all my objects under this alliance.

theflyingoreo

https://www.facebook.com/sydneybve

Back to top Go down

Post by drumex Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi there.

I joined to read the "manifesto". I understand that all is meant in good faith.

But why are we trying to come up with new rules? Why reinvent the wheel? Why not simply use GPL?

drumex

Back to top Go down

Post by wheeltapper Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:16 pm

The reason the Alliance was started was as a specific response to a specific problem within the community. It is attracting signatories and seems to be well received so far.
There is nothing to prevent developers from using other methods if they choose to do so, the scheme is entirely voluntary. Some of the licensing systems on offer are over complicated and less suitable for the requirements of BVE developers' work than the Alliance framework, that is all. In the end it is up to any individual to choose what suits them best, several have decided in favour of the BWWAA already.

wheeltapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum