BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brickwork texture required?

5 posters

Go down

Brickwork texture required? Empty Brickwork texture required?

Post by 750DC Thu May 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi all, just wondering if anyone had some red-brick textures that I could use? I am updating an old BVE2 route I created for myself, for oBVE. For example below is my Southern Region (UK) style signal box, which was ok for BVE2 but I want to improve it for oBVE. If the updated model turns out to be any good, I will offer it to the Object database. Otherwise I will have to start photographing brick walls! Thanks for any suggestions, regards, 750DC.
Attachments
Brickwork texture required? Attachment
DKGSB(4).JPG BVE2 DKG SBYou don't have permission to download attachments.(15 Kb) Downloaded 8 times

Last edited by 750DC on Thu May 10, 2012 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

750DC

Back to top Go down

Brickwork texture required? Empty Re: Brickwork texture required?

Post by graymac Thu May 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Look up a little program on the web called "Bricks'n'Tiles", it's a bit fiddly to use but it works, or even easier just google 'brick textures', I've had loads off there. If it ain't the color you want change 'hue and saturation' in your pic editor. Paint.net is free if you haven't got Photoshop and it does most of what you will ever need for BVE objs.
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 750DC Thu May 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks graymac, I'll have a look at both.

750DC

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Fri May 11, 2012 10:34 am

With textures off the web, remember to check their licencing. There's people having put work in and having rights on, you know.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall Fri May 11, 2012 10:51 am

I think someone like Graymac would have the braincells to talk/contact and check the licencing before doing something Quork, He's a big player in terms of developing and i have never seen him actually not get permissions Smile

So im sure i can safely say he's checked Smile
mrknowitall
mrknowitall

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Fri May 11, 2012 10:59 am

I'm not saying this to Graymac, afaik he also professionally works with such things so he knows for sure Wink But new people often simple aren't aware of this, and that's why I reminded.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Fri May 11, 2012 11:54 am

With stuff like textures on google, they've been placed in the public domain. Unless they are watermarked images or labelled as 'restricted' they are fair game to be borrowed. There are several sites which offer "free texture" which satisfies copyright issues. Plenty of other material outside free collections is useable as well.

And on a practical level, even if they weren't free, how is the owner of a brick factory in Scunthorpe going to know that a train simmer in Dusseldorf has got one fourteenth of a brick sales paicture off his website, Photoshopped and cloned to f*** anyway??? And I don't think the brick cares one way or another.

Just use your head. If it's clearly not for the taking, don't take it.

*NOTE: This is not a legal fact or an opinion, merely a philosophy. Do not break the law.
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by busheyheath Fri May 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Same here. I have used many brick structures, of which most are public domain. However, in using these brickwork textures they will have to be reduced, copied and otherwise changed in a way that nobody can regognise the original. I agree, however, with Graymac that you should not break laws....
busheyheath
busheyheath

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Fri May 11, 2012 5:50 pm

At the very least, observe the eleventh commandment *

* for all yez awful heathens out there, God gave Moses TEN commandments. The eleventh was left unsaid, or else the mason ran out of stone to write it on, but it was this:
Thou shall NOT get caught! Very Happy
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Sat May 12, 2012 12:28 am

Well, the legal situation here is; if you take someones photo of Big Ben and use it as a source for stone textures, this is legal. If you take this photo and make a 2D-model of Big Ben out of it, this is not legal. It's about the used piece being essential or not to the source.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down