BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Track.Announce sound plays only once when speed command is "0".

Go down

Track.Announce sound plays only once when speed command is "0". Empty Track.Announce sound plays only once when speed command is "0".

Post by 1969 St. Louis R-40M Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:36 pm

So I don't know if it's a bug or it is supposed to be like that, but I'll still post it here.
I'm currently adding sounds of the train's contact shoes hitting the third rail on my Paris Metro 8 line.
I'm using a Track.Announce with a speed command at each third rail end of the route, and it works fine: the sound plays on every car passing the third rail end which is realistic, but the downside is, since it's speed-dependent the sound's pitch increases or decreases with the train's speed; and also that I have to put different speeds at almost every command because the speed limit isn't the same in many areas of the route.
I went onto the developer's documentation and just found out that the sound will play independently from the speed if you set the speed to "0". But now the sound plays only on the first car. Is it supposed to be like that?

The version I use is 1.7.190.667-travis. I tried with other versions but the same thing happens. So I guess it is not a bug, but why is that the sound plays on every car as soon as a speed above "0" is specified but plays only once when it's "0"?
1969 St. Louis R-40M
1969 St. Louis R-40M

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGq5FJM5XWFQojJskzLYeoQ

Back to top Go down

Track.Announce sound plays only once when speed command is "0". Empty Re: Track.Announce sound plays only once when speed command is "0".

Post by leezer3 Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:38 am

The current behavior is I think correct, although by the looks of things the documentation could do with a little improvement.

You're using the non-speed dependant .Announce command in an unusual way- These have generally in the past been used for things such as station announcements etc.
For obvious reasons, we don't want every car triggering the same station announcement.

Would adding another special value to the speed work for you, so we then had something like this:
-1: The sound is triggered by the front axle of each car at the original pitch.
0: The sound is triggered by the driver's car at the original pitch.
Positive Speeds: The given speed represents the speed at which the original pitch is used. Otherwise, the pitch is modulated proportionately to the current speed.

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

1969 St. Louis R-40M likes this post

Back to top Go down

Track.Announce sound plays only once when speed command is "0". Empty Re: Track.Announce sound plays only once when speed command is "0".

Post by 1969 St. Louis R-40M Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:51 am

That would be great, although a friend of mine let me know that an animated object with a [sound] section would work as well. But an addition to the .announce command would be also great if possible. Thanks for the reply.
1969 St. Louis R-40M
1969 St. Louis R-40M

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGq5FJM5XWFQojJskzLYeoQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Delsin Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:48 pm

Shouldn't it trigger by every bogie when set to -1 then? This is the current and logically correct behavior of .announce with speed specified.

Tbh I'd also split constant pitch sounds from the rest into different commands - so that sounds that play at every bogie use something like .tracksound and announcements use .announce, don't change pitch and play in all cars simultaneously. Feels weird to put this command for track sounds...
Delsin
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum