BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some concerns on sound

3 posters

Go down

Some concerns on sound Empty Some concerns on sound

Post by Delsin Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:03 pm

I've been playing both Openbve and BVE5 lately, and decided to pay more attention to how sounds work in both, turns out, Openbve still has a few issues.

1. If the first station on a route has departure sound, it plays twice - immediately after the sim starts and when it's supposed to go off. Happens when there's enough time before departure for both to occur, but sometimes doesn't when there's too much time (well over a minute)
  2. Breaker sounds (I've probably mentioned that before?) have absolutely unrealistic behavior. In "original" BVE (4,5,6) these are supposed to portray line breaker between inverter/chopper/camshaft contactors/etc and power or motor (depending on power circuitry design) opening and closing, so that "On" sound should play when power or dynamic brake is applied, disregarding the delay between power/brake handle and actual power/brake state (since the delay includes LB closing time), and "Off" sound should play when power/dynamic brake is disconnected (including setting reverser to N - same with the "On" sound, reaching brake control speed, etc). Also, these sounds should play "outside" on cars with motors, not just in cab (the only vehicles I can think of that do this are some trams and trolleybuses), though having an XML tag that disables breaker sounds on certain motor cars would be useful for configurations when one equipment set controls motors on 2 or more cars, resulting in a single LB for them all.
  3. Rub sound pitch should be somewhat less dependant on speed (the way it ramps up before stopping is fairly realistic, except it does that a bit too much) and should also be slightly dependant on brake cylinder pressure (more force on brake shoe results in higher pitch). Just compare current rub sound behavior with that of BVE5.
  4. Air suspension sound system feels broken - it just spams sounds whenever car body sways left or right instead of playing them while car body is leaning to the corresponding side. Not entirely sure, but this is how it's supposed to be in all BVE versions.
  5. Same with all Air sounds - when brakes are released and then it's stopped, sounds keep playing regardless of further actions (for example, Air.wav is 5 secons long, brake handle is moved 1 notch towards release and then 1 notch back 2 seconds later, the release sound will play for 3 more seconds even when the opposite process is happening). This is most apparent on trains with automatic air brakes.
  6. Something similar applies to Flange sounds - every time they play, they start from the beginning of the file, often leading to unnatural repetitive feel.
  7. Loop sounds are played on motor cars only - in reality, it can be heard only on certain cars within a train, regardless of whenter it's a motor car or not. Quite commonly these are actually trailer cars. I think it needs an XML tag too, but the default behavior (motor cars only unless specified) is alright. It can be different within a train IRL too, but this applies to almost any other sound and I think it's already possible to specify different sound sets for different cars when XML is used.
  8. Motor sound system feels quite restricted and outdated. Needs some refresh to at least support much more tracks and sounds, also being able to use BVE5 motor sound format on Openbve would be very useful.
  9. All sounds seem to get "flattened" into a mono track. (probably have mentioned that too) This just...doesn't sound right.
  10. Plugin sounds need to be played on the entire train, or on certain cars only sometimes, not just in cab. (Think of diesel engine sound made using plugins like on Class 52)
  11. Door sounds keep playing when door gets "jammed" and stops or gets reversed by pressing door key while it's moving. When door starts opening/closing from some intermediate state, a corresponding sound is played from the beginning, not the time proportionate to current door state. (btw, using door key while they're closing opens them, but doing it while they're opening doesn't close them)
  12. Compressor start and stop sounds always need to be of the same length (around 5 seconds from my experience), otherwise either there'll be a gap between CpStart and CpLoop, or both will play simultaneously. A gap between CpLoop and CpEnd can happen for the same reason. Apparently, this has never been a case with BVE, since on all trains I've seen CpStart and CpEnd have various lengths.
  13. Not sure if this is different already, but being able to specify only one Point sound is kinda restricting, many BVE5 trains have almost as much Point sounds as Run. (Yes, I'm aware of the trick with .announcement in route file, but Point sounds often need to be different depending on a train used)

I know this is a lot, but this is what makes the sim feel kinda outdated by now Rolling Eyes
Delsin
Delsin

Midnight Express Ginga81 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Some concerns on sound Empty Re: Some concerns on sound

Post by Delsin Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:33 pm

Found more. There's zero control over where point sound plays and whether it should. (Best example is flyover near White City on the new LU Central Line.) It just appears where BVE thinks it should be.
Delsin
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by Midnight Express Ginga81 Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:06 pm

It has been confirmed that at least, 8. is unlimited at the future version.
It has already been confirmed that it will be changed when TrainEditor2 corresponds to the specifications.

Midnight Express Ginga81

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony515 Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:36 pm

This is exactly why I'm in favor of having .animated [sound] section support on moving objects (including within train objects themselves), as much of these issues can be fixed via using the animated sound format settings. For instance, the amount of motor sound tracks you can do is already practically unlimited, and you can make the pitch and volume changes very precise, providing much smoother and realistic motor sounds. Additionally, any sound events that need to occur can also be defined through the animated format, including having point sounds play precisely where you want them to. I'll post a new proof-of-concept of how animated-format sound systems are viable soon.
Tony515
Tony515

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfV997Q6rT3AKS1Xom936Ew

Back to top Go down

Post by Delsin Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:11 pm

Some additions after comparing sounds to BVE2/4 system

- Motor sound pitch changing in steps, previously it apparently was interpolated using pitch values from each 0.2km/h step within the same SoundIndex to create a smooth pitch change curve.
- Motor sound volume gets inconsistent at near-zero values, if you draw a volume line descending to 0, sound will get quieter and then cut instead of a smooth fade. Probably comes from the same issue as with pitch curves, meaning volume has to be interpolated similarly too
Delsin
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down