BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What about implementing some randomness ?

+2
NovHak
Quork
6 posters

Go down

What about implementing some randomness ? Empty What about implementing some randomness ?

Post by NovHak Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Dear forum readers,

I'm new to OpenBVE, and while I'm enjoying a few routes already (most notably the London Central Line), I'm frustrated that two runs are exactly the same. No incidents, no delays, the same signals in the same configuration at the same time, what's the point with having signals when one knows in advance what they're going to be ?

If incidents were simulated too, such as delays, passenger incidents, temporarily closed stations, mechanical failures, alternate routing, for AI trains and players' alike, requiring the player to effectively pay attention to what's going on around, well, like what's required from a real train driver, I don't think that would detract from gameplay.

In the old times of BVE 2/4 there was this program called BVE Route Randomizer which looks like a good first attempt, I'm surprised nobody seemed to feel the need since then...

Or am I missing something ?

NovHak

Back to top Go down

What about implementing some randomness ? Empty Re: What about implementing some randomness ?

Post by SP1900 Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:18 pm

There is sort of a scenario in the newest Victoria Line where the game randomly chooses which platform you arrive in when you get to Brixton  Other than that I don’t know of any others
SP1900
SP1900

Back to top Go down

What about implementing some randomness ? Empty Re: What about implementing some randomness ?

Post by graymac Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:15 pm

It's already possible to introduce randomness in several features. Simply up to the builder whether to bother. I've got several random events in my routes. I often wonder if anyone even notices? I can't speak about LU routes as I don't have any involvement as a user or a builder.
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:06 pm

It's been some time since I've done extensive runs on your routes, so I can't remember the details any more, but I do certainly remember randomised stuff on your routes, yes! Was even going to mention it, but you beat me to it ;-) I'm not entirely sure, but I think Chashinai did have some random stuff also, could be wrong though. Some UK routes had random stuff as well, like random TSRs and such; though I'm not entirely sure which routes. Could be Birmingham-X City, could be NWM...
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:59 pm

NWM were probably the first to use random variables, because when i first found out that these existed and wanted to try it I examined the NWM coding to learn how it was done.
As well as using the $Rnd(Start; End) protocol for such things as passing trains and road traffic a good example is where (in Kilmagranny 2016) randomness is used to determine whether or not an advance caution & direction feather will divert the users train into a passing loop on the route - this coding example below gives a 40% chance of being held in the passing loop

Code:
$include (loop-bypass.txt;0.6;loop-enter.txt;0.4)

It's all down to the ingenuity of the route builder to visualise and implement scenarios with these random elements, it isn't all that difficult to do.
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by NovHak Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:15 pm

Thanks for your informative replies !

@graymac : I'm going to check your routes on the spot.

So, right now on my to run list : NWM, newest Victoria line, Kilmagranny 2016, and Graymac's celtic routes.

Thanks again !

NovHak

Back to top Go down

Post by Ad1992 Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Something like this is planned for the Central line. If you look in one of the older threads I posted some screenshots of trains at North Acton and White City. The test scenerio being a defective train at North Acton, but then something else crops up and you end up non stopping at Bond Street.

The 1992 stock plugin is currently being re-designed. Due to the success rate of the 1996 plugin compared to the older 1992 we felt this was a good idea. This also means that the plugin is being made from scratch so things like trains ahead, white signals, an actual working Maximum safe speed system are all being implemented.

Believe it or not with the current 92 plugin, it doesn't work very well with trains ahead.
Since people out there do actually want to have a scenario so to speak, I might just polish up the test version of the route we made and release both a normal demo version and scenario.

In the long run and when the line is longer I want to actually have random events happen because like NovHak says it is far more interesting.
Ad1992
Ad1992

http://bvewesternregion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by RR_Nick Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:57 pm

Ad1992 wrote:Something like this is planned for the Central line. If you look in one of the older threads I posted some screenshots of trains at North Acton and White City. The test scenerio being a defective train at North Acton, but then something else crops up and you end up non stopping at Bond Street.

The 1992 stock plugin is currently being re-designed. Due to the success rate of the 1996 plugin compared to the older 1992 we felt this was a good idea. This also means that the plugin is being made from scratch so things like trains ahead, white signals, an actual working Maximum safe speed system are all being implemented.

Believe it or not with the current 92 plugin, it doesn't work very well with trains ahead.
Since people out there do actually want to have a scenario so to speak, I might just polish up the test version of the route we made and release both a normal demo version and scenario.

In the long run and when the line is longer I want to actually have random events happen because like NovHak says it is far more interesting.
are you gonna re-new any of the central line stations to make it look like 2012 to 2017 kind of format if you build the full version of the central line route
RR_Nick
RR_Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:49 am

LWhat’s the command for implementing randomness? Like if you were to switch tracks to another platform or to another route and it was all random based. How would you implement it into a route code?  I’m thinking of using it when I start doing the District Line to Ealing Broadway for the Earl’s Court and Ealing Broadway Platforms
SP1900
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:02 pm

In the case of switched tracks you make versions of the .csv route for each path which are saved as text files. As per the example I used earlier, above, the instruction is placed inside With Track section of the .csv route file, like so:

What about implementing some randomness ? Code10

This results in a random 60% probability of the bypass route appearing to the player for this particular scenario. You can easily offer the route at (for instance) other times of day etc where that probability lessens or increases. Not too difficult, you see.
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum