BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building with Dexter

+6
phontanka
MattD6R
Stevegr
jckhinks
graymac
Dexter
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Building with Dexter - Page 2 Empty Re: Building with Dexter

Post by Quork Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:54 pm

graymac wrote:Ireland is the most backward, primitive country in all the EU for broadband provision, especially if you're outside any of the larger towns. Blame the useless government giving all our money to greedy German bankers.
This statement made me wonder, since Germany is often claimed to be worst with broadband provision, so I checked some numbers. According to this press article broadband provision reached 65% in Ireland in 2013. According to de.statista it was a mere 58.3% in Germany in 2013. Which of course doesn't help you =\ As far as the banksters are concerned, there indeed are some here (I can see their skyscrapers from my home...), but most of those financial war criminals are in "The City" a.k.a. London or behind the big water.

###END OF OFF TOPIC

I'll look into your vid soon, Dex. However I have one more idea about recording: Do you have an external video recorder, e.g. a DVD recorder or a TV with recording capability (if it can save the files on an USB stick or drive)? In that case, connect the PC to the recorder via HDMI or VGA and do the recording on the recorder. This way you neither have any restrictions (costly software, watermarks, OpenGL/DirectX problems etc. etc.) nor does the recording put any load on the PC, so you could also record any route as long as your PC can run it, e.g. BrnoBVE.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Building with Dexter - Page 2 Empty building with dexter

Post by jckhinks Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:17 pm

hi dexter, just watched this and its very interesting.jack
jckhinks
jckhinks

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:58 am

Good effort Dexter and I like that the video is a small file size as I have a limited internet limit. It was easy to follow and I could understand what you were saying. You explained it quite well, it can be hard to explain it well. I think you should mention about how to correctly save the file to csv in notepad (named [object_name].csv and select "All Files"). You should also mention that the vertexes referenced in the AddFace command need to ordered in a clockwise direction to be viewable on the front face.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:59 pm

@jchinks: Thank you. I hope it will get even more interesting as we get further.
@MattD6R: Thanks Matt. I will be explaining what the clockwise and counter-clockwise approaches do, you have a valid point there. Also, I will be getting to AddFace2 and why it is not good to use it.  The AddFace also needs to be sort of synchronized with the Texture coordinate commands etc. We shall get there.

Thank you guys for your feedback. I am hoping these videos will be helpful and encouraging for people. Smile Also, I will record my mouse cursor next time, omitting it was a major fail, since I might use it to actually point at things in the ObjectViewer. There is a glowing effect to the mouse in the recording software, so I will utilize it to make the videos even more clear.
Any other questions / thoughts? Quork? Very Happy
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:16 pm

I'm having a 12h standby shift on sunday, I'll watch it then. Did you consider my technical suggestion?
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:01 am

Yes I have considered your advice, however I am not really a TV person, so I do not have any external recording device. And my TV is only capable of playing files from an USB drive, it cannot record.

I hear you on that one, I don't like standby shifts myself.
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Episode no.2 is now online. Check it out on Youtube, full screen recommended, any questions and feedback welcome.

Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:35 am

Watched no.2 and you have done it well. I don't see any issues to mention. You did have some trouble explaining it but I understood what you were saying. Thanks for mentioning the feedback I gave you which I saw as an important omission compared to how you explained the CreateMeshBuilder and AddVertex commands. Also it is much better with the cursor visible.

Feedback from would be developers would be useful to you as that would be indication if this is helpful to those not sure about giving it go. I thought is was too hard before I gave object building a go and it is not that hard, it just takes time and effort.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Thanks, Matt. I am recording this live with no pre-written script, so it sometimes takes me a second to find the correct wording. Smile  It is good if you could understand everything. I will try to talk slower, it will give me more time to find words. The thing is I do not want to make these videos 45 minutes each. Very Happy

Thank you for the feedback. Smile
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:54 pm

Sorry - I'm a bit late to the party!

Yep - those videos were good for me. Well thought out and simple enough to tempt even a graphics numpty like me to have a go.

Looking forward to episode three.

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:43 am

Cheers Phil, it is never to late to join the train, as long as you can replay the videos on Youtube. Very Happy I am hoping to record episode no.3 this weekend, but I cannot promise that 100%. Anyhow, whenever the Ep.3 is online, I will post an update here.
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Session no.3 is now online. Looks like Youtube is still processing the thing at the moment, it should be available in the usual quality later.

Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:09 am

I have watched number 3 and you explained it well. Smile I didn't have trouble understanding what you were saying.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:48 pm

4th video online now. Very Happy

Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:39 am

Nice work with number 4 video. I mostly use Gimp and also for creating textures from scratch I use Paint.NET.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by JimH Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:26 am

I'm following this well presented series. It's not so easy for the uninitiated. Old dog and new tricks come to mind but I will try and stay the course. I certainly know more now than I did previously.

JimH

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:28 am

So, I finally got around to it. Skipped forward through them a bit to be honest (while I consider tutorial vids great, because many people can learn best with them, I personally am more the type for written tuts with pics and short animations, so it's easier for me to work in my own pace and do every step myself as well), but I must say: Wow, great work! The only thing you could have maybe pointed out stronger (in the first episode, I did no skipping there, or did I still just miss it?) that a vertex is a point in space, the 3D counterpart to a pixel in 2D, but it becomes obvious not much later on, so no big deal. I like your window arrangement, your speech is clear and your English is, though audibly non-native (though still better than mine, I'm having way too few opportunities to actually *speak* in English), very well-understandable. The thread is very straight-forward, no distracting strolling to other topics, one step after the other. Great job!
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1984 Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Speaking as someone whom can't ever imagine themselves coding I think video tutorials could be great.

rick1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Hello Guys, episode 5 is now online. We move on to texture modifications. In the upcoming episode no. 6 we will try to stick a texture on a more complicated shape than a simple rectangle and then we will go ahead and work on normals. If that sounds interesting to you, stay tuned. :-)

Also, I am trying to keep the videos reasonably sized, about 10 minutes. The file size usually is about 150MB, which is not bad at all.

Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks for doing these videos, it might get people interested in creating something. Smile I look forward to hearing about normals which would help me a great deal.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:54 am

Thanks Matt, I am glad someone actually watches them. :-) I hope I will get to filming another this week. The kindergarten season has started, so I might have a bit of free time on Thursdays and Fridays now. Laughing
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:36 am

I hope I am not the only watching them but then again there are only a few of us creating something for the sim. It's always nice when we get more free time as I know from doing my work that doing this stuff is rather time consuming.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:32 pm

So, finally... :-)

Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks for this one and I didn't get lost following you. I learnt some of the things you mentioned from practice especially with complex objects. It i certainly good to see you providing this information. Smile

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks, Matt. :-)
I also forgot to mention that creating the "centered" object is what actually enables people to mirror the vertexes later on. You can always mirror -0.5 into 0.5 with minimal effort, as you only delete the minus. If the object is done the other way, you will always have to modify the digits as well, which requires more time and sometimes even calculations (more complex objects).
I am looking forward to doing the textures, it should be done by the end of the week again. :-)
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next