BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish Culture II: Feadóg (tin whistle)

2 posters

Go down

Irish Culture II: Feadóg (tin whistle) Empty Irish Culture II: Feadóg (tin whistle)

Post by Quork Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Once again I have a question for ower fellow board members from the celtic isle and for people otherwise knowledgeable about the topic: I had two feadóg, one in C and one in D. I understand the one in D is the "right" one, and I also prefer it to the one in C as it's easier to play if you're used to the recorder; the grips on the D feadóg are the same as on the C recorder for a big part of the tones. Also, since both were used and especially the one in C has a rather weathered labium, it usually served as decoration (it's brass with a red head, so it looks quite nice when bound to a leathern belt on a "medieval" outfit).

Now I can't find the one in D any more; however, since it was less weathered than the other one but still hadn't the best sound any more, that's a welcome occasion to finally buy another one. Now the question is: What is to be observed when buying one? Normally I prefer to buy instruments after testing them, but I won't be on any medieval fair soon and I'm not really into buying a feadóg in a music shop; they sell modern high-end instruments for professional use which isn't exactly what I want - if I want to play a modern high-end instrument I take one of my Yamaha recorders; while I play a feadóg because many folk pieces or traditionals sound somewhat soulless if played on such; there's some... "roughness" missing. After all, they usually were composed for the self-carved, imperfect whistle of a shepard or other village folks...

So what should I look for? Or can you maybe even recommend a site or shop or something? Considering the specs mentioned above I don't think I'd be willing to pay more than some 40€ (shipping not counted of course); though really handmade work might be worth more to me.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Irish Culture II: Feadóg (tin whistle) Empty Re: Irish Culture II: Feadóg (tin whistle)

Post by graymac Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Try Walton's of Dublin, plenty of whistles on this site:

http://waltons.ie/Product/Search.aspx?search=&mid=&searchMid=&cid=503&searchCid=&min=&max=&sort=&dir=&page=4

The inexpensive ones are often seen at pub traditional sessions - they are as good (or as bad!!) as the player Very Happy - expensive instruments wouldn't have been common in rural Ireland at any time. Two new whistles in C & D wouldn't cost a fortune.
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Irish Culture II: Feadóg (tin whistle) Empty Re: Irish Culture II: Feadóg (tin whistle)

Post by Quork Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Thank you very much!
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down