BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malware

5 posters

Go down

Malware Empty Malware

Post by vpodhola Thu May 02, 2013 7:21 pm

On the Recent Wiki activity dated 2nd May, 2013 there are US diesel engines. My Avast antivirus programme advised me that some of downloads include malware. Do you have the same experience ? Infected trains below:

EMD-F7A CSX ...
Pacote EMD-F7A C.P&BURLINGTON
Pacote EMD-F7A Pacific
Pacote EMD-F7A The Milwaukee
vpodhola
vpodhola

Back to top Go down

Malware Empty Re: Malware

Post by graymac Thu May 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Avoid downloading, as a precaution, then see if you can report the problem to the Wiki site, for the link to be removed. Reputable developers will have legitimate download sites (not fileshare or torrent type facilities) and probably a presence on a recognised forum. Or at least will be able to show a trail from the work back to the creator, which some do when they post links to their work on this board.
As always, when confronted with a questionable file, if in doubt. DON'T!
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HijauKuda Sat May 04, 2013 7:08 pm

vpodhola wrote:On the Recent Wiki activity dated 2nd May, 2013 there are US diesel engines. My Avast antivirus programme advised me that some of downloads include malware. Do you have the same experience ? Infected trains below:

EMD-F7A CSX ...
Pacote EMD-F7A C.P&BURLINGTON
Pacote EMD-F7A Pacific
Pacote EMD-F7A The Milwaukee

@vpodhola

Too I suffered infection with these locomotif folders of which you note.
I am sure sick file is a "F1A.exe" in a subfolder of those trains, which has no purpose to be there, other than infection.
Originated they did with author Gaspar Zinhu of Sao Paulo of Brasil.
I have sent email request to author Gaspar, so he may clean his PC of bad infections and delete and replace sick download files.

Good day and night for you.
HK

HijauKuda

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Mon May 06, 2013 8:46 am

Just to put another point of view on things...

A few years ago I was using WinRAR to do all my installers, but for one particular add-on I used ClickTeam. Because of (what I have since been told was) bugs in the installer software, 3 out of about 100 anti-virus programs on a website thought there was adware in the file.

I'm sure some of the longer-term members of this forum will remember it, but I then found that certain individuals were signing up to every possible forum they could find, just to start posting about what a bad person I was, that nobody should ever download my add-ons and some people even went to the extent of trying to "ban" me from a free, open, online community!

Don't get me wrong though, if there is an EXE in there then that screams dodgy to me, but before we start going on about "Reputable developers", "legitimate download sites" and "recognised forums" I think some effort should be made to contact the developer. What's to say his computer is not infected with a virus and he has no idea about it? What's to say he put it there deliberately?

I hope nobody sees this post as trolling or flaming, but there are lots of young developers out there and I remember what it was like at 15 years old being treated like some form of hacker by a group of people double my age over something I had no idea about, regarding an add-on that had taken the best part of 2 years to make!
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Mon May 06, 2013 11:56 am

before we start going on about "Reputable developers", "legitimate download sites" and "recognised forums" I think some effort should be made to contact the developer. What's to say his computer is not infected with a virus and he has no idea about it? What's to say he put it there deliberately?

The lesson there, which you unfortunately seem to have learned the hardest possible way, is to ensure you use a delivery system for your product that makes it clear where it's come from and makes it possible to contact you in the event of serious problems such as AV warnings.
You mention "adware" - the sort of file sharing sites I had in mind and mention above DO attempt to persuade you to download unwanted junk. Which is a good reason not to use them. I assume it was one of these sort of free sharing sites which helped cause you your reputational damage?

It's also a serious matter if anybody does post "suspect" packages. Even if it is done unknowingly. One little encounter with a suspect file damages the trust that users of the sim have with developers as a whole. So it's important to get it right before you offer anything publicly. That said, there's only a very small proportion of really dodgy stuff to be found. Most of the bad files I've ever been made aware of are where the "product" is in fact somebody else's work which has been nicked and passed on by a third party, claiming it as their own. It's rare but it has happened in the past. And there's no trail to lead back to who posted the turkey, but it's almost always come via an anonymous file sharing or torrent type site.

Anyway, I stand by the advice above, even though the risk of malware with bve dowloads is relatively small, as always, when confronted with a questionable file, if in doubt. DON'T!

graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by HijauKuda Tue May 07, 2013 11:08 pm

I observe honourable Eirish websites be highest and truly legitimate, should donate to, any others most low quality bastarded redhead children. On subject, Gaspar today has now cleared files F7 of the sick infection, so may safely download at his website http://wwwlocomotivaopenbve.blogspot.com/p/download-emd-f7-a.html

Good day and night to all here.

HijauKuda

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall Thu May 09, 2013 11:39 pm

HijauKuda wrote:low quality bastarded redhead

I think that is a bit over the top and probably not the best way to show a link to your site mate...
mrknowitall
mrknowitall

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Fri May 10, 2013 9:56 pm

It's a lovely turn of phrase, Ben. Poetic in the same fine literary tradition that Chaucer wrote. I shall cherish it for a long time to come, many thanks HijauKuda san.
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum