BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Celtictrainsim website disruption

+4
Quork
phileakins
Dexter
graymac
8 posters

Go down

Celtictrainsim website disruption Empty Celtictrainsim website disruption

Post by graymac Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Due to an imminent change of hosting there may be a period of unavailability during the next week or so. Sorry for any inconvenience. (But not half as sorry as the grief and bother it's causing me!!). Evil or Very Mad
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Celtictrainsim website disruption Empty Re: Celtictrainsim website disruption

Post by Dexter Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:30 pm

What's behind it all? High prices?
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:51 pm

Yes. Time to apply some charges perhaps Very Happy
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:22 pm

During any downtime during changeover of hosting celtictrainsim followers can still access news and views through the celtictrainsim facebook page. And here's a new YouTube video to watch while waiting for normal service to resume.

graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:47 pm

One got only one word to say to you Gray - absolutely stunning!

Oh dear, that's two .....

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Very, very nice new vehicle for OpenBVE! Can't wait to use it on BWR!

On a side note, as a driver, I'd be very uncomfortable about the situation halfway through the video; remember a train sucks. Without a work protection barrier (like this one) those man are in grave danger by my train, even at this low speed (remember one can also faint, stumble etc); according to accident protection regulations, which should be quite similar all over the western hemisphere, they'd rather clear the tracks completely till the train has passed.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:29 pm

remember a train sucks

Yes indeed. Some of them do. Twisted Evil

Which reminds me, when the BWR-2012 routes were being tested a shocking incident occurred not far from Knockmore. As you know, I have "randomised" passing trains and the inspection gang are randomised too. It's more interesting when they aren't always popping up in the exact same place.
So my driver sees the gang in the distance, on line facing him, in time to sound the horn. As he approaches them, a "passing train" comes speeding up behind them and squidges them!!!
You cannot be too careful when there are trains about! LOL So that's one beta tester with post traumatic stress disorder. Crying or Very sad
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:46 pm

That's a great example of something that simple that it doesn't occur to one until it happens. Nice anecdote! Sadly enough, such things do happen out there on the track as well... An instructor of me had such a case (with happy end though luckily) back in Bundesbahn times; came out of the curve - and there's a group of 10 track workers there. They all jumped the track in panic to the left and right, pure luck there wasn't any train on the other track. Before he had realized what's happening, reached out to the brake lever and pulled it, he had passed all of them with the loco. It came out, they had requested one track blocked and went into the other one...
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by buckysam Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:34 pm

graymac wrote:During any downtime during changeover of hosting celtictrainsim followers can still access news and views through the celtictrainsim facebook page. And here's a new YouTube video to watch while waiting for normal service to resume.

What exactly is the video? For some reason, it's not showing up for me. Probably because I'm at school and youtube is blocked. tongue

Quork wrote:That's a great example of something that simple that it doesn't occur to one until it happens. Nice anecdote! Sadly enough, such things do happen out there on the track as well... An instructor of me had such a case (with happy end though luckily) back in Bundesbahn times; came out of the curve - and there's a group of 10 track workers there. They all jumped the track in panic to the left and right, pure luck there wasn't any train on the other track. Before he had realized what's happening, reached out to the brake lever and pulled it, he had passed all of them with the loco. It came out, they had requested one track blocked and went into the other one...

Yikes! pale That must have been really scary! That just goes to show you that even though trains are cool, they are also very dangerous and that's why there are lots of safety guidelines are in place to keep things like this from happening.

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Post by hurricanemk1c Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:18 pm

The video is of the new 2800 Class DMU in the works for BWR
hurricanemk1c
hurricanemk1c

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1984 Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:14 pm

I know the feeling of videos being blocked. I can't watch them when I'm at sea! Grr! Evil or Very Mad

rick1984

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Early signs are that the DNS nameserver transfers and domain registration changes have been succesful. So far there have been no reports of service interruptions or missing pages.
I want to say a big "thanks" to Declan Byrne of hostingireland.com for the technical assistance and salvation of what little sanity I still possess! If anything's missing it's not the server to blame. That means it's ME. Being a responsible adult means, when cock-ups occur, I'm ALWAYS responsible! Embarassed
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by alex_farlie Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:24 pm

Quork wrote:That's a great example of something that simple that it doesn't occur to one until it happens. Nice anecdote! Sadly enough, such things do happen out there on the track as well... An instructor of me had such a case (with happy end though luckily) back in Bundesbahn times; came out of the curve - and there's a group of 10 track workers there. They all jumped the track in panic to the left and right, pure luck there wasn't any train on the other track. Before he had realized what's happening, reached out to the brake lever and pulled it, he had passed all of them with the loco. It came out, they had requested one track blocked and went into the other one...

Quork, if you ask one of the railway industry professionals on here, there's a Network Rail training film that reinforces some of the points you raise.

alex_farlie

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:25 pm

A few updates on the site today. As the dreaded disruption failed to happen, along with the millenium bug and the coming of the messiah, I think we can close this thread.
graymac
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down