BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The texture photo thread

4 posters

Go down

The texture photo thread Empty The texture photo thread

Post by Quork Sun May 06, 2012 11:45 pm

I want to start this thread as a place for anybody interested to post photos for texture usage or textures. Please only post images in here, if you agree with the following rules:

1. The poster is the author of the image.
2. The poster grants any OpenBVE-addon-developer the non-exclusive, irrevocable right to use the image and its derivates as textures for the developers objects under the following conditions:
a) The author of the image is credited in the object file
b) Any derivates of the image are distributed under the same conditions

I hope the idea is liked and that someone will pin the thread Smile
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

The texture photo thread Empty Re: The texture photo thread

Post by Dexter Mon May 07, 2012 4:56 am

Which (among other things) brings me to THIS TOPIC herein... Smile
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Mon May 07, 2012 7:59 am

Oh... Seems the idea isn't new and I just looked in the wrong boards section. However I'm getting a 404 on the link there; is there a new link, did the project die, am I clicking the wrong link?
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Mon May 07, 2012 8:15 am

That is actually a good question - Bruce told me he's going to make some adjustments to the site and get it ready for usage. I was already registered there... Neutral I suppose he is busy, but the question is why it disappeared completely... I'll try to get some information on that and if it turns out to be a dead project, we will have to find a new solution.
Actually I might be having one - there's almost 1GB of free space on my ex-site, on a free hosting. Very Happy I have one problem, though, I hardly have time to manage my websites and do a bit of developing - I am heading to get married soon and it takes some paperwork you know Very Happy
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Mon May 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Ah yes, getting oneself enslaved is hard these days Razz

There'd be plenty of possibilities for solutions, though I strongly suppose there won't be that many entries to justify the work of putting it in an extra system instead of a simple forum thread.

What also would be a possibility, would be a whole "Textures" forum in this board, divided into the different texture type sections as subforums, and there topics of the posters. This way, everybody host their images where they want, e.g. on imageshack, and the texture 'database' here would be simply a sorted collection of references; thus nobody would have to think about the quite problematic question, how to host a big data set with write access for everybody without having any costs.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Mon May 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Some of the architecture would be great in a new German route. Textures are often a problem Finding the right one isn't always easy. Some of the more "universal" ones, like brick, fields, hedges and trees are useful for any country. A selection of those would be good in a free library. You don't need zillions of images, just a reasonable number of ones that would be really useful to any of us in a general way.
I like the building with the Kamera shop, but could never use it in an Irish context. In the same way that many of the Ballyfeckin items would look wrong in a British or Czech route. I would suggest that once beginners are able to make buildings and basic objects that they are going to find ways of obtaining the correct textures for the job they are working on. An inexpensive digital camera (I got one from Aldi) is a good investment. All you need then is a decent bitmap editor and the time to learn how to use it properly, and you will be unstoppable.
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dysonsphere Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Yep its allways the little things like a single sleeper viewed from above im taking my camera out next week as I know just the spot for a range of sleepers and track.

Dysonsphere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down