BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Header Picture

3 posters

Go down

Header Picture Empty Header Picture

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Impressive train at the top of teh page! Where is this & what is the history of this engine please?

Back to top Go down

Header Picture Empty Re: Header Picture

Post by Dexter Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 pm

This is my local railway station in Brno, Czech republic. The loco itself has a nickname "Noblewoman". And is known as T475.1 here in Czech rep.

The locomoties were intended to be a modern universal engines for both passenger and freight trains. A total of 172 engines of this type were built in SKODA Pilsen factory, but only 147 of those did actually operate in Czech reoublic as the rest was ordered by Northern Korea.
The loco was quite modern for the time of its manufacture (the first pieces were modernised a bit later); there was an electric lighting, mechanical coal feeder etc. By the time of the end of the operations, only one of the locos - 475.137 did actually not have the mechanical coal feeder (poor guy with a shovel had to do the job).
The last regular train with this magnificent engine in its front operated in 1980, but there are still a few locos kept as a historical technical inheritance. Engines stil cabable of operation are 475.101 (that's the one in the picture and it's our very own one here in Brno), 475.111 in Pilsen, 475.179 in Decin, and 475.196 in Vrutky, Slovakia.

Some technical facts:
Locomotive: T475
Manufacturer: Skoda Pilsen
Manufactured in: 1947-1950
Total number of engines: 172
Steady power: 1430 kW
Maximum speed: 100 km per hour
Weight empty: 94 t
Weight in opration: 99.3 - 102.7 t (varies between series)
Lenght: 15,25 m

I hope this answer is enough. Wink

Last edited by Derryck on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by kwijiboenator Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:21 pm

I never knew Skodä made steam engines...
kwijiboenator
kwijiboenator

Back to top Go down

Post by wheeltapper Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Hope they were more reliable than the crappy old cars they made before being taken over by Volkswagen. I remember a Skoda owned by a friend (looked like car in link below) and it was the biggest pile of Sierra, Harriet, India, Tango, that ever was.

Attachments
Header Picture Attachment
skoda.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(120 Kb) Downloaded 2 times

Last edited by wheeltapper on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:14 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : finally mamaged to attach pic)

wheeltapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:38 pm

Concretely these were amongst the most reliable engines. Skoda has made a lot of steamers, not only in pieces, but also in classes... actually, somewhere in August, I will be visiting a depot of historical trains here in Czech rep, that will be a very special occasion! They do have an English website here. Check it out and enjoz, they have a very good selection of archive trains!

Here is sample photogallery.

And yes, the old cars were... worse than the recent ones, shall we say? Very Happy Very Happy
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by wheeltapper Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:40 pm

I noticed the big difference with the platforms at Lužná u Rakovníka compared to Brit ones. Ours are around a metre above the rail while the Czech rep ones are almost the same height as the rail.

Interesting pictures at he museum site. Thanks for that Derryck!

wheeltapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:45 pm

You're welcome.Cool
Actually, yes, there is a big difference in platforms. Those old ones in smaller stations really are very low and sometimes it might be difficult to get into the train.
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down