BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do we have a discord server? if not shall we make one?

4 posters

Go down

Do we have a discord server? if not shall we make one?  Empty Do we have a discord server? if not shall we make one?

Post by leyland1195 Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:47 am

Hello ladies and gentlemen, 

I was wondering if there is already a discord server for this forum or maybe a general OpenBve discord, if not we should create one! .

Definitely would be good for the community to get together and talk to more users/members of BveWorldWide. Plus would be very handy for developers to speak to other developers more easily and get idea's /feedback from each over. 

Finally would be a lot easier to show off our latest updates/projects rather then keep logging in on forum then uploading via the forum on topics

Invite link to Discord server I have created: https://discord.gg/EcJVjk5 

Kind regards and look forward to seeing some of you on discord! Smile 

Raymond (Leyland1195)

leyland1195

Back to top Go down

Do we have a discord server? if not shall we make one?  Empty Re: Do we have a discord server? if not shall we make one?

Post by Quork Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:00 pm

We had a chat server once, it didn't work out. This is not your standard gaming community, this community is way more diverse in many aspects, including age. Most prefer the organised, reliable and re-readable communication of a forum.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Do we have a discord server? if not shall we make one?  Empty Re: Do we have a discord server? if not shall we make one?

Post by Dexter Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:14 pm

I personally think it is also a matter of time - most of us have a personal life, job to do... I am not such a geek to sit on discord all day long. Smile Not even mentioning that when I am trying to create something, it is very disturbing to have notifications of incoming messages all over the screen. I prefer to concentrate with some good music in my headphones.
The community works more on the basis you drop a message when you have got something to share, we do not chat around too much... I mean, I am not saying it is all and all a bad idea, but personally I would probably not use it at all or at least not extensively.
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:54 am

We did have a chatline, it wasn't much used. As for "discord", according to my Chambers dictionary the word means:
discord noun 1 disagreement; conflict; failure to get on. 2 music an unpleasant-sounding combination of notes; lack of harmony. Opposite of concord. 3 uproarious noise.
ETYMOLOGY: 13c: from Latin discordia.

So, I wouldn't want any of that, thanks all the same. And speaking personally, I'd rather spend LESS time online, same reason I ditched the smartphone, I want my life back!!
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:43 am

Discord is actually pretty decent, in my opinion it's the best current chat system of the old tradition (organised into independant servers, which are organised into channels -> just like IRC back then), combining the traditional structure and modern features in a really elegant way. I'm using it in several ways; the community around a let's-play-gamer my siginficant other and me are following is organised on his Discord, an author I'm befriended with has a community discord for both fans and supporters, a YouTuber making videos on medieval weapons, medieval martial arts and similar topics I'm supporting financially via Patreon has a Discord for his supporters, etc. etc. Shortly, it's a good system. I just don't think it fits this community here.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:59 am

I agree the program itself is not bad, but see my reasoning above as to why I think it is not needed.
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down