Static Objects vs Animated Objects

Go down

Static Objects vs Animated Objects

Post by Movingmillion on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Hello all,
Apologies for the slight silence on my half; one of my laptops has been, let's say, incapacitated.
Our Met Line route will have animated trains on the other tracks. I personally do not want to see this, but I understand that this will improve the realism of the route. The reason as to why I slightly object to this being done is because most of the BVE London Underground routes from the past have not had animated objects, due to limitations of openBVE at the time, and BVE 4 and 2. Static trains on opposing tracks in some ways is a calling card for openBVE, and helps distinguish the route as being openBVE.

I am not asking for a vote, as I realize that it will be in the best interest for the route's realistic aspect. However, I do want to ask members if they think that there is a place for static trains, in the way that they have been used in BVE in the past, in openBVE today?

Dexter Montague
Founder and Managing Director of BVETube

Movingmillion

http://bvetube.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Static Objects vs Animated Objects

Post by SP1900 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:57 pm

Between Harrow-on the Hill and Wembley Park there are express tracks. If there is to be a peak-time scenario I believe it wouldn’t hurt to have animated trains on the express tracks. Same goes for the section between Moor Park and Harrow-on-the Hill. Static trains could be used as well, e.g. at station stops or in sidings. We could potentially also have a mix of both on the running lines. There are also ways to animate objects to mirror yours or to arrive and depart slightly before and/or after your train does.
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by Movingmillion on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:59 pm

I was referring to non-affiliates. But I would say that old static trains do give off a certain charm, but we will not be using many static trains. Any non-affiliates think that there is a certain aspect to static trains while driving on the opposing tracks that give off a certain charm?

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by fam622 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:07 pm

I really do like animated objects. Because I think it maps a map look better like, how its made the Network West Midlands map go from a map to an excellently animated map. Say like if the Met. Line map could have trains arriving into the station as well as departing and passing by.
fam622

Back to top Go down

Post by Movingmillion on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:16 pm

That is what we are going to do; no question about it. However, I do believe that there is a point that there is some element of familiarity with having static objects, which has been a staple of BVE for almost 20 years.

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:20 pm

Is it even possible to have AI-controlled trains running in the other direction? I don’t think so since BVE supports only one possible running track and that’s the one your train is on. Still that doesn’t mean it’s not possible to have animated trains.
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by Movingmillion on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:22 pm

As far as I know openBVE only works with the one track, and the animated trains are programmed in a way independent to trains that you can see up ahead on your own track.

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:33 pm

Just as in the "cartoony style"-thread my guess is you'll find your nostalgia for the old limitations of BVE isn't shared by many.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Movingmillion on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:40 pm

Another problem with animated trains is the current limitations of such. Last time I checked animated trains worked by following the exact speed that your train is going at, and I'm pretty sure that they could not open doors, etc.

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:05 pm

The opening doors concept has not been put into practice because it involves the animated train’s doors being triggered when you open your own doors. I found this Mexican route where the trains arrive at the platform a little bit before you stop and then leave after your train clears the platform. Maybe we could put that into practice?
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by Movingmillion on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:17 pm

The problem that I have with that is that it will still be rather annoyingly computer-seeming, if one looks into it; exact timings between when you start and stop, and every time they go into that station it happens exactly at the same time. As we are going to be putting in animated trains, we will have to think of a solution.

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum