BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OpenBVE Metropolitan Line (For Real)

+6
MyNameIsJeff
Delsin
ap1991
graymac
Quork
Dexter
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

OpenBVE Metropolitan Line (For Real)  Empty OpenBVE Metropolitan Line (For Real)

Post by Movingmillion Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:26 pm

My development team are pleased to announce that we have commenced work on an openBVE Metropolitan Line route. The route will initially start at Baker Street. 

Screenshot when ready will be posted here. 

However, me and SP1900 cannot agree on how to release it once we get to a certain point. Would you rather have segmented release, with a nice teaser route from probably Baker Street To Wembley Park to begin with (then to Harrow, then Moor Park, then Amersham, and then other branches), or would you rather wait until the entire route is finished for something to be released?

Dexter Montague 
Founder of BVETube

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

OpenBVE Metropolitan Line (For Real)  Empty Re: OpenBVE Metropolitan Line (For Real)

Post by Delsin Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:43 pm

Nice Cool
I think something in between will be the best option. Short beta (which is also teaser) which isn't too short, like Baker Street to Harrow, then a terminus-to-terminus version (Baker St to Amersham), then an update with branches.
Delsin
Delsin

Back to top Go down

OpenBVE Metropolitan Line (For Real)  Empty Re: OpenBVE Metropolitan Line (For Real)

Post by Movingmillion Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Excellent idea. I must also thank you for your massive help with the A60 Stock. It'd be a dream if you joined us, but I know that you are too busy.

Dexter Montague
Founder and Director of BVETube

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:07 am

I am actually willing to start the route at Aldgate for a full trip because, to be honest the current route is very old and needs updating a lot. We need as many people to help as possible whether it’s texture gathering, object creation of helping assemble the route all help will be greatly appreciated
SP1900
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by Movingmillion Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:10 am

So for new readers, what would you rather: demo to Harrow or wait for full route?
And second question: Wait for Aldgate to reach or start from Baker Street first?

Dexter Montague
Founder and Director of BVETube

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by Delsin Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:17 am

As for me, the Aldgate portion is important too, but doesn't have to be in a beta (unless it's something like Aldgate-Wembley).
Delsin
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:29 pm

I think it is probably better to release a part of the route once it is finished.
We all know that creating a complete route is a long-term task in openBVE, so it is always nice to have something new to try out. Contrary to a complete route part of the route is more likely to come in a reasonable time frame.
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:53 pm

The road to hell is proverbially said to be "paved with good intentions", it's probably also paved with bits of incomplete / unfinished BVE routes as well. I've seen so many that have been promised, and so few of them delivered. The only other sector with a worse record on promises are the politicians!
I would say only release a partly finished work only once there's enough of it to make it worth driving.
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:12 pm

While I really esteem your views highly, Gray, I'm on team Dexter here: Better to release a beta at a reasonable stage. There's always some good chance of valuable feedback coming in.
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:17 pm

It is not about teams, at least for me. :-)
Of course it is not worth it to release 900 meters of route, but if there is reasonable mileage, then probably go for it and see what feedback you can get.
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:04 pm

I think you guys are right. We will release a good section of route as a test. We got a few scenarios all based in different eras as well but the main focus on this project is to cover the area that the previous Metropolitan Line route has not covered yet. If you live in London and/or live near the Metropolitan Line and wouldn’t mind getting photos for us to use and to build the route or if you have something to contribute to that would help greatly.
SP1900
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:00 pm

Being  "on the ground" with a camera / phone is ideally best. If you can't be there you may find that google streetview can help, at least on the surface and with determining distances. Obviously, in the tunnels it's another matter! I get some funny looks when I stand there taking pics of fixtures and fittings, posters and signs, (and specially lying on the floor of a 2700 rail car to get the ceiling texture**) but its all worth it.

** On that occasion, while in the station , the driver walked down the train and I could see he thought he had a nutter on board. I explained why and what I was taking the pics for and fair play to the guy, he let me take a couple of cab pics. I doubt that would happen in UK, but you never know Smile
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:22 pm

graymac wrote:Being  "on the ground" with a camera / phone is ideally best. If you can't be there you may find that google streetview can help, at least on the surface and with determining distances.
Thanks for the advice. I’ve been doing that. Though I also get funny looks due to the high tension going around in the UK. I’ve been threatened to be reported a couple of times as well though LT officials really don’t care. Unfortunately I live in Cambridge which doesn’t make it easy especially if you’re making a route From a place where you have limited access due to high fares and bad rail infrastructure around your area. I’m most likely gonna have to take to google earth and google street view.
SP1900
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by Movingmillion Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Our current plan is to have the initial demo release to be from Baker Street to Harrow-on-the-Hill. After that, we are unsure of what to do. Should the second release go to Rickmansworth or Amersham? (if Rickmansworth, the third release will be Amersham)

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by ap1991 Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:55 am

Movingmillion wrote:Our current plan is to have the initial demo release to be from Baker Street to Harrow-on-the-Hill. After that, we are unsure of what to do. Should the second release go to Rickmansworth or Amersham? (if Rickmansworth, the third release will be Amersham)

My advice would be not to think too much about a second release and just get on with the first part of the route, then decide what you want to do and post once you have something to show for it.

Seen so many routes announced in a blaze of glory and then never completed/started.

Sorry if this sounds a little negative.
ap1991
ap1991

https://adamp19914.wixsite.com/bvecentral

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:56 am

Dexter wrote:
It is not about teams, at least for me. :-)
Of course it isn't ;-) It's just a less complicated version of "while there are really good arguments for both approaches, I'm tendentially inclined to rather give weight to the arguments speaking for partial releases, which have been brought forward by Dexter" Laughing
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Movingmillion Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:59 am

First project update:
Some rails to start with have now been created.

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by Movingmillion Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Second project update:
The basic rail models have now been completed.

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by Movingmillion Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Message redacted

Last edited by Movingmillion on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : m)

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by Delsin Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 pm

Looks really good!

Delsin
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by Movingmillion Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:47 pm

Some more development photographs courtesy of our new Director, Jeff. 
OpenBVE Metropolitan Line (For Real)  Receiv16
OpenBVE Metropolitan Line (For Real)  Receiv13
OpenBVE Metropolitan Line (For Real)  Receiv12OpenBVE Metropolitan Line (For Real)  Receiv15

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by Delsin Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:36 pm

That looks so nice and detailed that make me worry slightly for performance Laughing
On the other hand I'd add some texture to the bottom of the light instead of solid yellow
Delsin
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by MyNameIsJeff Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:10 pm

In all honestly most of these models created are for another simulator so I'll have to clean them up in BVE.

MyNameIsJeff

Back to top Go down

Post by Movingmillion Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:16 pm

What simulator was it originally made for by chance?

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:40 pm

This is looking decent, it is great to see people are cooperating to create something nice.
Dexter
Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next