BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BVE TRAIN DOWNLOADS

4 posters

Go down

BVE TRAIN DOWNLOADS Empty BVE TRAIN DOWNLOADS

Post by Terrence1946 Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:09 am

There are plenty of routes to download on BVE and the process is easy enough even if time consuming! What is more difficult, however, is the acquisition of the correct trains to accompany the simulation.  Where oh where are these trains?  I have scanned not a few websites to find appropriate trains without result.  To give just one example:'openbve.wixsite.com/openbve' shows a route 'ECML-Northumberland' which I downloaded and placed the object and route in the correct folders.  There are various options for the route and most require a different class of train for each option (please see screenshot below) but where do I locate these trains in the BVE website collection?  The BVE 'wixsite from where I got the route has a rolling stock download section but this only provides class 37 locos and coaches.  Please, can somebody direct me towards a website which supplies the necessary trains for the many routes available on BVE!

BVE TRAIN DOWNLOADS D110

Terrence1946

Back to top Go down

BVE TRAIN DOWNLOADS Empty Re: BVE TRAIN DOWNLOADS

Post by SP1900 Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:22 am

You do realise that some of the trains don’t exist and you don’t really need a default train. 

But if you want to assign a train to a route then there’s two things you can do

1. Open the csv file and find the ‘With Train’ section. Scroll to the .folder command and type in the name of the train you want to assign to the route. 

2. You could just change the train folder name to the name featured on the route
SP1900
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrence1946 Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:50 am

SP1900 wrote:You do realise that some of the trains don’t exist and you don’t really need a default train. 

But if you want to assign a train to a route then there’s two things you can do

1. Open the csv file and find the ‘With Train’ section. Scroll to the .folder command and type in the name of the train you want to assign to the route. 

2. You could just change the train folder name to the name featured on the route
No, I didn't know this and I don't really understand the business of the CSV file; where is it? 

I tried using a class 37 with coaches as a train for the routes in question but I cannot get the train to move; obviously, there is something I don't know about the driving controls on a class 37 loco.

Terrence1946

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:53 pm

Open the route folder and use notepad to edit the csv file.
SP1900
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:55 pm

The current program evolved from an original Japanese program - from BVE2 via BVE4 and OpenBVE versions over a number of years. It was always a bit "nerdy" compared to plug and go sims (which you had to pay for) like MSTS etc. Documentation was either difficult to understand or simply hard to find. A lot of the routes and trains, and I suspect many of the ones you are attempting to use, were made ages ago. A lot of the earlier routes and trains cannot be found any more, the websites they were on have not been maintained or  have been abandoned.

SP1900 wrote:1. Open the csv file and find the ‘With Train’ section. Scroll to the .folder command and type in the name of the train you want to assign to the route.

Don't worry about messing with the routefiles. If you don't understand how the program folder structure works, or how to install components from older zip files - that are, frankly, an arbitrary mess and conform only to their own rules - then you won't have any joy with tinkering with the .csv route file. SP1900 is quite right that you don't need to use the default train, as you found out you can pick the train from the start menu.
Many routes were set to open with the "default train" sat there dead and idle, and it is then necessary to go through a "starting procedure" - this is another area where OpenBVE is authentic to the real thing. It's also more difficult for the newbie, especially if there's no instructions available.
The best documentation currently available is that on the OpenBVE Project site. It can't cover everything, and especially not third party material that may not be properly documented by the provider. All the same, most of the answers are there and it's the best documentation there has ever been in the history of BVE.

I looked for any instructions for British locos which I might have saved but came up with a blank. However, this "keys" image (which may be seen on trains so fitted at the right of the cabview by using the keypad arrow) is from a UK train and the controls may work the same for your 37

BVE TRAIN DOWNLOADS Keys_b10
graymac
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrence1946 Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:17 am

My thanks to 'SP1900' and 'graymac' for their help in this matter.  I'm now getting the hang of working this simulation and it is great fun when you have mastered the handling of the trains. It is a great shame that BVE hasn't got a truly MAIN website where routes and trains exist together together with ALL the relevant manuals. However I do appreciate that this is all 'freeware' and for that reason alone, it is worth doing a bit of 'digging' in the search for simulations and workable trains.

Terry.

Terrence1946

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:27 pm

I can't find the driver's guide for the Class 37 anywhere.
It's referenced in the ReadMe, but I'm not sure it ever actually made it onto TSC.....

This is for the 158:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080512001734/http://www.trainsimcentral.co.uk/downloads/misc/cl158.drivers-guide.htm

Very similar (all UK trains are), and will hopefully give you a better idea of what's going on inside the plumbing.

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrence1946 Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:50 am

Many thanks.

Terrence1946

Back to top Go down