Objects Viewer 3D Grid

Go down

Objects Viewer 3D Grid

Post by Dexter on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Hello,
I thought it would be a good idea to implement an on-demand 3D grid into Object Viewer. A grid with unit let's say 1 meter... with coordinates poping up on hovering certain point (also on-demand). I believe this would help many people with producing things and I also think it would help massively with normals.
Have a good day. Smile
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Re: Objects Viewer 3D Grid

Post by graymac on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Might take some guesswork out of building. Or at least help to get close to a suitable placement point.
That's a feature which would be good to have in route viewer too. It might help find the right placement position for a tree or a cow in a field, so it isn't hovering 2 metres above the ground in the wrong spot Smile

My wish for the object viewer fairy is for a way to observe if animated objects do what they should, without having to run it all in the program. Big ask, I guess santa
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:07 pm

I'm not sure if it wouldn't be more sensible to connect this to Blender somehow, so ObjectViewer doesn't consume that much developer time any more in the future. An import/export plugin for current Blender versions (could be based on the old one) would do it IMHO. This way those who prefer using a text editor could continue doing just that (and using Blender as an ObjectViewer replacement; maybe it would be even possible to make a binary automating the whole process (opening the csv file, starting up Blender, importing the file into Blender) making it a drop-in replacement for ObjectViewer) while those who have the time and energy to learn Blender (once you get your head around the basic concept, everything else is totally straightforward) could use Blender's powerful tools for editing as well.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:15 pm

Quork wrote:I'm not sure if it wouldn't be more sensible to connect this to Blender somehow, so ObjectViewer doesn't consume that much developer time any more in the future. An import/export plugin for current Blender versions.

The question is if it is more difficult to add a grid to a self-written tool, which does not require much code study and will immediately help everyone, who knows how to build routes and objects, or to try and write a plugin, which requires a code study of an already existing software written by someone else.
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:41 pm

I mean making ObjectViewer itself obsolete so it won't have to be nursed in the future.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum