BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Alan Wheeler

3 posters

Go down

RIP Alan Wheeler Empty RIP Alan Wheeler

Post by Quork Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:14 pm

I think all of you know the name of Alan Wheeler, and I also think we all know there had been a conflict running with him in the past. But every argument has its end, and this one found the harshest of them all. I would like to ask you, no matter how involved with the stories you might have been, to find and give peace. This story is over, and it has no happy end. A terrible disease one wouldn't want anybody to suffer took his life at an age far too young to go. Graymac, who has known him in good times and in bad times, wrote this beautiful epitaph for him:

The death has occurred in the UK of well known BVE developer and commentator, Mr Alan Wheeler, aged 66, after a short struggle against lung cancer.
Alan was greatly involved for a number of years, beginning in the early days, in constructing material, encouraging beginners to take up the coding and in running a members forum site. At times he helped and encouraged many to participate. Including myself, when I started out in 2010. Hopefully there are many who will remember him fondly for all that he did in the "golden age" when the OpenBVE project was on the "up". Although Alan had not been much involved for the last three years, withdrawing from active participation on his own terms, I hope he will be remembered for his contribution at the height of his achievements.
Alan passed away on 29th October, sadly a fortnight before what would have been his 67th birthday. May he rest in peace.

- Graymac

If you have something nice to add, please write me a PM and I'll add your note. Otherwise, please think about my initial words: Find and give peace.

Last edited by Quork on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

RIP Alan Wheeler Empty RIP Alan Wheeler

Post by Quork Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Another epitaph reached me:

It is sad to hear of Alans death. He helped me a lot when I started to code my route both with advice and checking any errors. He was a gentleman who will be missed in the BVE world.
Rest in peace Alan.
- jacko (jckhinks)
Quork
Quork

Back to top Go down

RIP Alan Wheeler Empty Re: RIP Alan Wheeler

Post by leezer3 Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:10 pm

In the heat of the moment, many things that we regret were said on all sides.

Sadly, time has taken away the opportunity to mend bridges with somone who was a great modeller and a help to many in better times.

Rest in peace.

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:23 am

Death.

You never know when and where it is waiting for you, as they say you don't know the minute it will strike. It is indeed sad news to hear a man, who was once a very active and prolific meber of the community has left us in a way that I am sure nobody wants anyone to leave. Unfortunately we don't really get to choose...

I have known Alan for many years, in times both good and bad and I would like to say that there are very few people, who will offer you a helping hand in this strange and decadent world. He was one of them - I have witnessed many people being helped by him and that is something to treasure and express thanks for. Some of the people have done so themselves, some of them probably aren't active anymore, but that does not take anything away from Alan. For that, it has to be said "Thank you, Alan".

Parce sepulto.
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down