Overhauling trains from the London Underground Network

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Overhauling trains from the London Underground Network

Post by SP1900 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi everyone, I'm SP1900, a generally new developer still getting to know the ropes for making stuff for openBVE

Some of you may know me as Sachin Shankar and I am currently doing a small overhaul of the London underground trains

One of the first projects I am doing is making all three of the 1986 Tube stock trains (I do know the green one is already made) I have used an old train body to make the red and green trains animated, though the textures are going to need a bit of attention.

My second project which is on hold is to make a fully 3D D stock train, I know the hong Kong developers made one from the C stock but I am working with omegazerokiller to make a better quality one.

My third project is to fix the door animations on the 1992 stock, 1995 and 1996 stock trains. They are rather slow and I am trying to make them a little more realistic.

My final project is to upgrade the three trains mentioned above to their post-refurbished state. I have posted it here as I believe that this may be the place where the original developers of the trains are and I just want to get their permission so I can start.

EDIT: 1992 and 1996 stock refurbishment will not go along since Ad1992 has said there will be better trains in the future. D stock is coming along as first thing. I am also enlisting the help of Delsin who will provide a 1973 stock train in the future. I will do a couple of routes but not now

Last edited by SP1900 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Re: Overhauling trains from the London Underground Network

Post by Delsin on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:47 am

It's nice to hear somebody finally getting to making models of LU trains  Very Happy I was planning to do 73 and 96 models a few times, but have never went far enough with them.

The existing model of green 86ts has wrong dimensions and dodgy coding (sides go all the way down to 0 and texture transparency is used to leave space under the floor open, this results in a hole on top of the car), so it's okay to have a new and (I hope) better model of it  Smile
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:44 pm

Yeah, I noticed. I used the Low quality 92TS bodyshell and I'm doing a few tweaks and texture improvements to get it done. The red train and the green trains were kind of easy as they have almost the exact same designs the 92TS so it sort of makes sense to use the LQ bodyshell for the work. The Blue train is going to need a bit more attention as it closely resembles the 86 and 95 TS trains in shape and design. Textures are pretty hard to find so I've had to make my own which have turned out ok but are not accurate.

One update in my plan is that I am building a late 1980s A stock train which, hopefully should be done by the new year. Anyway, Thanks a lot
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisrose1993 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:02 am

I've done a 83ts with animated bogies and wheels, Might be handy for your trains?

chrisrose1993

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisrose1/

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:17 am

Wow!! I like it!! It’s very impressive!! If you don’t mind I’ll try to fit an interior for it along with animated doors to add to the overhaul. I might also make a fictional refurbished version. If you could send me this train I could get started quite soon. PM me
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by Movingmillion on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:26 am

Brilliant work! Do you by chance have any other.lul trains that you made/not in public domain?

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 pm

It’s been a while so I thought I might post some update pictures. Brought the D stock back to life so that’s my main priority

SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisrose1993 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:05 pm

Why do people still use Sketchup...Its the most horrible way of doing models for games Mad
chrisrose1993

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Erm... Nope it isn't. It is a tool as any other. It's not the tool deciding over the efficiency of the model, it's the user. You can create a very efficient model using SketchUp with the right workflow, especially if you do a proper cleanup of the model in Blender (where you have to load it anyways for conversion to csv/b3d) or by hand in a text editor in the csv/b3d export. And just as well you can create a terrible model with tons of useless vertices and faces while creating an object directly in a text editor. So don't judge people by the tools they use. SketchUp has a very intuitive workflow for recreating exact objects from simple photos. It's easier to recreate the shape of an object based on poor snapshots in SketchUp than based on proper blueprint scans in Blender.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisrose1993 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 pm

You can't create a efficent model in Sketchup, For the amount of cleaning up in Blender you have to do you might as well just start from scratch.
chrisrose1993

Back to top Go down

Post by Delsin on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:35 pm

Well, it's a builder's choice. Cool Some tools may be more efficient in theory, but a builder can be more familiar with something else and thus be more comfortable with the process of modelling. I still stick to notepad + ObjectViewer because of being able to build model in the way I find more optimized and convinient to work with unlike building using modifiers in 3d software and making them work right. Plus, no need for conversion and ability to patch any flaws noticed in game manually and quickly.
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:54 pm

I can't create a efficent model in Sketchup, For the amount of cleaning up in Blender I have to do I might as well just start from scratch.
That's how I'd have worded this in your place. I know it's a normal human reflex and I won't deny having it myself - but it's usually wrong to judge the possibilities of a tool one isn't overly familiar with by one's own abilities with it.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Personally I don't see any valid reason for slandering someone because of the tool they chose to work with... Everyone should use what they are comfortable with. In the end, if you make it on your own, it's the outcome that counts, not the journey.
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisrose1993 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:52 pm

I am more than familiar with Sketchup hence my view.
chrisrose1993

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:18 pm

LDelsin wrote:Well, it's a builder's choice. Cool Some tools may be more efficient in theory, but a builder can be more familiar with something else and thus be more comfortable with the process of modelling. I still stick to notepad + ObjectViewer because of being able to build model in the way I find more optimized and convinient to work with unlike building using modifiers in 3d software and making them work right. Plus, no need for conversion and ability to patch any flaws noticed in game manually and quickly.
Yes I mainly use sketchup to create a suitable base for my model and then use hand coding to add smaller components such as seats, bogies and other minor detailing. I find it slightly more efficient to create a simple bodyshell with sketchup and most of the problems I have can be fixed with hand coding
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:03 am

I've always used notepad+objectviewer, alongside a pen and paper to sketch outlines and note dimensions etc. 
Isn't there a danger that SketchUp (which I don't like) + Blender (which I've never seen or used) might create inefficient, bloated code with lots of unnecessary bits in it?
But I agree with Delsin, it's a case of what you're comfortable with and what works.
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:10 pm

If you don't know what you're doing the risk is very high. If you do know what you're doing, and follow your strict workflow, you get the same efficient model as when working by hand.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:46 pm

Well, I’ve been working on the D stock bogies I hand coded this part since it’s much easier to do this way  I will need some advice on how to make the shoe gear  I already have a texture but I’m not sure how to model it so that it’s 3D
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by Delsin on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Should be a simple box and a small shoe. You can send the model to me, I'll handcode shoegears  Wink
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Thanks to Delsin, bogies are now completed. Much better job than I did and it looks amazing!
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:25 am

Nice work, both of you. :-) I would consider making the wheels look a little bit more curvy, though. Smile
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Delsin on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:42 pm

I left the wheels as-is, only added flanges and tweaked textures a bit. It's easy to fix on user's end though, but seems like another patch for the bogies is coming  Cool
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:44 pm

MOD NOTE:
I've deleted a couple of posts.

Please do not make accusations, especially with no proof.

If you believe there is an issue with something, please report it to the mods so we can investigate and take appropriate action.

Thanks.

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by SP1900 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:39 am

so it’s been a while since the last update  I’ve been sick so I haven’t been able to do much  but I have started doing the interior  there isn’t much so far due to lack of textures but more will be on the way
SP1900

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 am

SP1900 wrote:Thanks to Delsin, bogies are now completed. Much better job than I did and it looks amazing!
Looking good, however the pickup shoe should be more of a boat shape than a square. Each end is angled to help it slide along the current rails better. I have one somewhere if you need a photo.
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum